Active Topics

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Hello!

From London and currently waiting for Vodafone to release their stock of N900... very hard to resist just buying one but I should be able to negotiate a good deal if I can just hold on for 10 days.

First portable device was the Psion Organiser II XP. Many others since then, mostly Ipaqs, although I did have a regretable dabble with an Eten Glofiish a couple years back.

Looking forward to seeing some innovative apps on Maemo - something like Locale would be excellent. Anyone know if that's likely?

The Following User Says Thank You to hellnick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austria
Originally Posted by hellnick View Post
First portable device was the Psion Organiser II XP.
Man, I think Psion still pioneered the portable World in a way that I feel we are just still catching up. I can still see many Psion II in function in cafés, local bus/coach as billing, etc. machine. I always get excited then...

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Ely, near Cambridge, UK
Hi all, *waves*, & Happy New Maemo !

My name is Sam. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I live in Ely, near Cambridge, UK. I'm an IT Architect who commutes into London via the train a lot....

One lunchtime in November, I casually strolled into the Nokia Flagship London store (high celings, lots of flat screens, funky staff & a Maemo den !) ago having done quite a bit of google/youtube/maemo.org research, and walked out with a shiny new N900.....

I *Love* my N900. I know it's only a phone but I spend so much time with it that I regard it as more than that. Hence me joining this forum. I want to contribute to making this device better, and to learn more about Maemo. My technical background is mainly Windows - right from 3.1, through NT 4, Server 2003 & Citrix. But Windows is designed around the mouse & not for phones.....I've also dabbled in DOS, AIX5.3 & Red Hat so I know my way around the command line....although my experience of Debian Linux is limited.

So far I've been blessed with only a few hangs..usually due to the bad signal on the train in the Fenlands on the way home. The Vodafone UK 3G signal is patchy outside of the cities...but it's excellent in London & Cambridge. I hope the 3G signal will only improve with time.

Why the N900 ? Well apart from a brief affair with a SE W800 I've always owned Nokias & have a bit of brand loyalty. I owned the 2110i, 3110, 3210 in 1993 & my favourite: the 6210. Recently I've been using a 6124 which although it mostly met my needs, doesn't surf very well & has a tiny screen. Wouldn't say I was a fanboy so much. Although I've never been a huge fan of Symbian.

Althought the iphone is an impressive smartphone for the handbag market, I've never been impressed with Apple products right from the ipod upwards. My main gripe is the lack of full OS access & exploitation of music.....plus the lack of FM radio support. My generation grew up listening to the radio.....and Apple doesn't promote that since it can't make money from it. Maybe I'm an idealist but the iphone is locked down in so many ways hardware & software. If I spend so much money on a device with an OS, I expect it to do precisely what I want it to do - like on my PC or laptop - especially where the OS is concerned.

My main uses are phoning & texting & surfing. I would like email as well but only during work hours.....(is this possible on the n900)

Anyway, enough of me wibbling on....I have quite a few queries for all you Maemo experts.....Looking forward to meeting you all on what is already looking like a very busy ....but forward-thinking.....forum !

Cheers,

Sam

P.s. Forgot to mention I had a Psion 3a too.....and the N900 keyboard gives me major deja-vu...in a good way !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomesIckAlien For This Useful Post:
Hi All

Just thought I would say hello (as the thread implies).

N900 is currently being shipped. Cannot wait to get it!!! Bring on the tinkering!

Cracking forum BTW

The Following User Says Thank You to arnoldthebat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Leeds, UK
Hi all

N900 gets delivered on Tuesday, and Im attempting to cram as much into my mind in the meantime to atleast pretend to half know what Im on about when it comes to Maemo!

I've pretty much always stuck to windows mobile. The closest i have come to Maemo is briefly playing around with Ubuntu on an old laptop, but my inability to do anything made me frightened and confused, and I quickly retreated back to the safety and comfort of Windows.

However, as a result, I am so lost when it comes to Linux. And the sheer volume of different terms been banded about....

Went for an N900 mainly because of the web browser and the sheer openness of the OS, however, what goods openness if I havent got a clue what to do with it all!!!

So yeah, thats my HI! In between studying this forum and everything Maemo related, you'll no doubt find me posting things that I should probably know...so, sorry about that in advance!

Now, to start downloading me some Java apps in preparation! (I kid, I kid, I know!)

Luke

The Following User Says Thank You to Luke Valentine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Funchal, Portugal
Hey guys,

I'm viegas (it's my surname), I'm 16 years old and I currently live on a small Portuguese island called Madeira! I'm a pretty cool guy and I'm not that geek, really! I have some experience with linux as I have been using some distros such as FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Fedora and so on... but I'm still the average user who only knows the basic stuff.

I'm a student and one day.... who knows, I might work for Nokia or Maemo... I wish! Now for real, one day I would like to study at the university to be a computer/software/whatever you guys call it engineer.

What made me buy the n900? Well, I guess I rather wanted an internet tablet instead of a regular phone and I've always been a kind of a Nokia 'fan' (which means I prefer Nokia over HTC or Apple). After I found the n900, the maemo operating system and its community I was truly surprised with what I had seen. I started searching and I found that the n900 had a huge potencial! The multi-tasking, the browsing experience, the operating system! A few weeks later I ordered mine on eBay and thats pretty much my story. I still haven't received mine but I can't wait until it gets here. I'm really excited and I know that I'll have a good experience with it.

man.. my english is really rusty! I spent like 35 minutes to write this post. Next time i'll use a translator..

Last edited by viegas; 2010-01-03 at 01:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viegas For This Useful Post:
Hey! Just got my N900 on Christmas and here I am, LEARNING.

The Following User Says Thank You to PutoMaluko For This Useful Post:
HI :
Just arived hope i can learn how to use this D900

The Following User Says Thank You to bigolbear For This Useful Post:
hi all good looking site

The Following User Says Thank You to ground stabber For This Useful Post:
Hello to all community! I have already order my n900 and its on its way! I am new here and a little confused while i am trying to develop new apps for n900.
Can I write some with QT Creator in C++?

PS: plz send me prv msg

Tags
bada boom, bada rox, hotelcalifornia, new users, newbie, newmo!, w2tmo, welcome to maemo.org