Active Topics

hi

i get problem when i install .deb file

this is what i get when i try to install

when i try to install ( FreDiablo.deb )

and when i try to install ( BlueMaemo )

can anyone help me plz ^^

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
You're making the same mistake as the other 5 people to have trouble with debs and post a thread about it today.

The right way to do this is to use App manager to install from the repository. Look, he explains that it's in Extras-devel: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=411

That means two important things.
  1. It's beta or worse. It could burn up your device, brick it, or do really subtle but destructive things.
  2. All of the dependencies are also in the repository. There's NO NEED to install a deb.

Don't install .debs! Honestly, nobody but developers have any reason to be installing individual debs.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-30 at 21:19.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
hahaha
if i install .deb and i brick my device can i do flasher and restore it?

Usually......... Yes. Flashing should fix it.

This is why the use of "brick" kind of confuses me around here.. my understanding of a "bricked" device was not just that it didn't boot, but that it was completely dead. Flashing wouldn't help. But I think for the most part, people around here use "bricked" as meaning you get stuck in a boot-loop, or something similar.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
The first package seems not to be even meant for maemo 5.

The second package's dependency problems can be avoided by installing from a repository.

Yes you can reflash if you screw it up.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Sorry, i was a bit ambiguous. It's not the installing individual .debs that's the risk so much as installing apps from extras-devel. These are apps not expected to be fully ready for end users, so there are real problems you can run into. It doesn't matter whether you install the app from the repository or download the .deb and install it, either way, it's beta quality at best.

My point was, though, that if you're going to install beta quality software, at least do it from the repository like a sane person. This gives you the advantage of automatically resolving dependencies and keeping you informed when there are updates.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-30 at 21:47.

so how can i install python2.5 full with all libs?

cuz must the deb needs python2.5
and my n900 dont have python << he is noob hahaha

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
After you add the repo the application manager will take care of everything the program you want requires.

i press app manager and download nothing start with ( repo ) can u plz write the full name