Notices

I have the same problem. Even uninstall is not possible.

The package is broken for most people because it uses /bin/bash in its pre/post install/remove scripts, and the N900 only has /bin/sh by default. As a workaround, you can 'apt-get install bash' from a root shell, then the packages will install/uninstall correctly.

Unfortunately, you then find that because its only a basic port, many game screens are too tall to fit on the screen with the title bar, and you can't put it in full screen. Needs more work...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robot101 For This Useful Post:
thank you unfortunately this returns with an error, it will not uninstall
/usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Thank you, Robot101... that seems to be why. The rest of what you said is also accurate. Full screen mode is possible though unintuitive, but makes hitting the options screen impossible -- trying launches the WM window selector instead. Similarly, all the unclosable dialogs I've encountered so far can be closed -- but only by, say, hitting the options screen button (just tapping off the dialog moves the map in the background.)

It needs a lot more work, and I am not sure I have the know-how to do it. Very sorry to everyone who tried the packages and had their systems break... I tried locally, again, in scratchbox and on my device, but since the first think I do is always to install bash and make it my defualt shell, I never even thought to test it sans-bash. Anyway, I just committed a repackaged version that uses sh instead, but I'm not sure if that will be enough to fix mtjioe and markusm's issues or anyone who managed to install in it spite of that, but without bash.

Originally Posted by mtjioe View Post
thank you unfortunately this returns with an error, it will not uninstall
/usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)
first you need access
type 'sudo gainroot'
then 'apt-get install bash'

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
Thank you, Robot101... that seems to be why. The rest of what you said is also accurate. Full screen mode is possible though unintuitive, but makes hitting the options screen impossible -- trying launches the WM window selector instead. Similarly, all the unclosable dialogs I've encountered so far can be closed -- but only by, say, hitting the options screen button (just tapping off the dialog moves the map in the background.)
This will be "fixed" in the next firmware (which is already in testing as PR 1.1).:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5601

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by new_bee View Post
first you need access
type 'sudo gainroot'
then 'apt-get install bash'
yeah, then it asks to uninstall freeciv, if u choose yes, it will show the error mtjioe mentioned

so how do we get rid off freeciv...trying to update with the fixed version does not work

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by J0ph33 View Post
so how do we get rid off freeciv...trying to update with the fixed version does not work
Theoretically, this might work...

sudo gainroot
apt-get -f install

... or if it doesn't...

sudo gainroot
cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
mv freeciv-*post* /tmp
apt-get remove freeciv-client-sdl freeciv-data freeciv-server

... but it might not, too, and might break things more. (Not a confident disclaimer, but I'd seriously wait for someone else who knows more about debian packaging to chime in.)

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
This will be "fixed" in the next firmware (which is already in testing as PR 1.1).:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5601
That's great news! But I think the best solution is going to be to have a task switcher button there anyway; I have hqh's camkeyd installed, but most people are going to need a software key to switch out, and that's the best place for it for consistency.

And/or a fullscreen toggle button in the bottom right, but the old always fullscreen behavior with a task switcher button would be a much easier way to work around the too-tall dialogs issue.

Last edited by ldrn; 2009-12-26 at 22:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
The fix to allow uninstalling it with apt-get would be to 'sudo gainroot' then edit (I used vi, but I don't know what other editors there are) /var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv-*.p* and change each #!/bin/bash to #!/bin/sh - then the pre/postrm scripts can run properly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Robot101 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Robot101 View Post
The fix to allow uninstalling it with apt-get would be to 'sudo gainroot' then edit (I used vi, but I don't know what other editors there are) /var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv-*.p* and change each #!/bin/bash to #!/bin/sh - then the pre/postrm scripts can run properly.
Did that - didn't work. It listed seven files and I made the bash->sh change in every one of them. Still won't install or even apply the update.

Any other ideas?

Tags
freeciv sdl, games, new port