Active Topics

Notices

is there a step by step way to use the n900 as a modem? i just got a net book for Christmas and wanna test it out. thanks for the help every one. happy holidays !!

Did you try with nokia pc suite?

no i didn't know you could use that. were do i get that from? is it easy?

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
not sure aboyt windows, heard that with pc suite works. bur with linux, ubuntu 9.10 to be more specific, you just plug the phone, go to network manager and select your provider.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Orlando, FL
You can download PC Suite from the Nokia website. Which one you use will depend on what region you live. I have installed it and it is quite simple to use the N900 as a modem. Once you install PC Suite you can simply connect the N900 either by the supplied Micro USB cable and click connect to internet. It will bring up a menu with the option to select your carrier for the region, and then connect to the wireless carrier. Does not take long at all to set up, and it has been very reliable for me. I am using T-Mobile USA btw, so YMMV.

The Following User Says Thank You to Medic7051 For This Useful Post:
wow work great thanks you so much.. !!! is there a way to do a wifi tether yet?

Originally Posted by cerreta View Post
wow work great thanks you so much.. !!! is there a way to do a wifi tether yet?
Not yet. Other thread here claimed that Joikuspot will be coming Q1/2010.

Hello,
Anyone has a solution for Linux (Mandriva distribution for example) and not thru PC Suite.
I found some things about BT tethering but no luck so far.
thanks.
D.

I can confirm that Bluetooth tethering works in Mac OS X as well.

I read in a few places that it is not supported OOTB so i installed the bluetooth DUN script from app manager.... It worked right away. I did a factory reset on the device a few days ago, wiped it clean.

When I paired with my computer again, the DUN services were recognized, even though I did not install the app again and tethering still worked.

Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Jose
I'd also like to add that it works under Ubuntu 9.10

For me I simply plugged in the N900 using a micro-USB cable, then selected PC suite mode on the N900 when it came up. Under Ubuntu I then clicked on the network connections. It showed the Nokia N900 (PC Suite Mode) and under it I was able to set up a new GSM connection. It took all of like 15 seconds and then I was able to connect and use it. Very slick.

divinerites: It should be a very simple matter of adding a ppp connect and use the device of /dev/ttyACM0. You might need to look up and see what device gets added when you plug in the N900 and select PC mode. Either a dmesg or tail the /var/log/messages file should show something.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElGatoFlojo For This Useful Post: