Active Topics

Originally Posted by Le_Petit_Lapin View Post
I wish people would stop saying that the n900's browser can just go to a flash site like youtube and be able to play videos in the browser like you would be able to on a desktop pc.

It cant. Its all jerky and skips while playing, which, unless you have an incredably ancient desktop pc, is not at all what you'd expect from a "desktop browser".

So please stop perpetuating this myth, as it will only lead to unsatisfied customers.
Hmm...

*goes to Youtube.com on my N900*
*chooses a video from subscription*
*plays video and then pauses it to let it load*
*plays video*

Seems fine to me.

Now not all flash sites work (e.g. Hulu is slow as hell) but hopefully the Flash 10 upgrade will fix that by offloading the brute work to the GPU instead of having the CPU taking care of it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Guber99 View Post
iphone does not support Tmobile GSM band.......N900 does
Originally Posted by iPhone Stats
GSM Bands: GSM 850/900/1800/1900
3G Bands: HSDPA 850/1900/2100
T-Mobile is still #4 in the US, if that. One oddball band (1700 and they do also support 2100 btw), and a serious lack of 3G coverage near my area means that T-Mobile still has work to do.

AT&T supports 850 and 1900, btw. Mixing 3G and GSM, term-wise, would be disastrous.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Eh, neither supports the CDMA networks so the original statement is still wrong ("iPhone supports the all the major US networks while the N900 doesn't"). Point still in favour of the iPhone but not all that much.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by Le_Petit_Lapin View Post
I wish people would stop saying that the n900's browser can just go to a flash site like youtube and be able to play videos in the browser like you would be able to on a desktop pc.

It cant. Its all jerky and skips while playing, which, unless you have an incredably ancient desktop pc, is not at all what you'd expect from a "desktop browser".
Or a mac or decently specced PC running linux.

Flash performance is *Abysmal* on anything but windows.

This is the problem with proprietary solutions, be glad Adobe decided to bless our platform at all with support for their bloated POS.

Otherwise we'd be SOL

Last edited by go1dfish; 2009-12-26 at 20:24.

iphone is a toy.....N 900 is a machine!

Originally Posted by guy2die4 View Post
iphone is a toy.....N 900 is a machine!
^ what he said

Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
Or a mac or decently specced PC running linux.

Flash performance is *Abysmal* on anything but windows.
What?? I have no flash issues with my Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic and Firefox.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I haven't experienced this yet, just so I know what to expect, is it:
- one 1 or 2 rings only come through and the caller gives up
or
- that the phone app takes several seconds to launch to show the answer button
The latter. I run top shortly after and it shows the 5 minute load average over 5, so I'm probably running too many programs -- but that's the big advantage of the N900, isn't it?

Originally Posted by snedley View Post
I have both phones as well, and carry both, and while I agree with just about everything the OP posted, I still find myself reaching for my iPhone more often. For example, the camera is too often too slow in snapping a pic, and I have a devil of a time getting it to show in the picture gallery. I often have to go into file manager to find it. Sometimes when a call comes in, it's stuck in sleep mode and takes so long to become responsive that I sometimes miss the call. If I'm in a place I am not familiar with and want to find a restaurant or a Kinkos or whatever, the iPhone will find my location quickly and light up what I'm searching for.

Then there's the email app.... Arrgh, iPhone blows it away.

So yeah, technically the N900 is miles ahead and I'm thoroughly enjoying having root access to it and doing neat things, but for the average person for everyday use, the iPhone just works. i.e., my wife has an iPhone and I'd never dream of telling her she should get an N900 instead.
I have to agree. I've got both the N900 and an iPhone 3GS. While I really want to love the N900 I find I'm using the iPhone more regularly. The N900 has massive potential with the OS and the hardware but the iPhone at the mo really is the more complete package to use on a day-to-day basis.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
I had the 770, two 800's, and two 810's, but currently I use the iPhone. I just had a friend over for Christmas who owns the N900. There is no denying the platform is the most powerful platform available on a mobile device. There is also no denying that maemo has come a long way since it's introduction in 2005. However, I still feel that a few key pieces are missing to make me want to switch to using the N900 over the iPhone. For one, the screen response is terrible. I know it is resistive versus capacitive on devices like the iPhone and the Droid, but do I really have to press so hard to get a list to scroll smoothly on the device? Perhaps if I haven't been an iPhone user for so long I wouldn't notice so much, but that alone makes the device unusable to me in a daily situation, I would get frustrated every time I used the touchscreen.
I am also so over using a stylus on a device at all. I know it's more accurate, but guess what, I'd rather have software which can figure out what I mean by a fat finger press.
While most of the UI of the N900 is pretty impressive, there are still long gaps with nothing displayed on the screen when an application loads, or no response when a button is pressed on the touchscreen. I'm sorry, but for my tastes I'd rather have a device which provides a more seamless experience but requires me to come up with workarounds.
For example, in order to connect to the Linux server I run at home from my iPhone I use an app called iSSH which is pretty similar to putty on windows. However, I have set up key pairs and screenrc so that i press the hostname in the app, the app connects me, and then screen reattaches so I'm left right where I left off, but I don't drain the battery by walking around having an active ssh connection back to my home machine while I'm out and about.
The media application on the N900 has come a really long way though. I run a uPnP server at home on the same Linux machine and there is no way for my iPhone to connect and read the directories with TV shows and Movies available. The N900 on the other hand detects it automatically and has no trouble playing 90% of the content directly through the File Manager app.
At the end of the day though, the N900 just isn't for me. I already have a laptop at home, and I have the iPhone which takes care of all media/connectivity needs that I have. The only thing that is really lacking for my personal use is small icons identifying when there are unread emails waiting, but for now I can live with that limitation.
UPDATE: I forgot to add that although the development for maemo devices is open to anyone with a repo, the number and quality of apps is staggeringly low. It is definitely a niche device, which is really unfortunate because the N900 is hands down the best hardware out there currently, but I feel like it's achille's heel is always going to be the limited application availability.

Last edited by jayholler; 2009-12-27 at 02:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayholler For This Useful Post:

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war