Active Topics

What is frustrating to me is all the amazing things I've already done with my N900 that I really don't want to sit down and type out all the awesome things. In the same hand, I can say with 100% certainty that my N900 works flawlessly. (I've probably just jinxed myself. )

My uptime is currently over 10 days, and it was only restarted manually 10 days ago because of a test to see if the app-cache would clear under /. (It did)

Some things I have already done with my N900:

1. VPN into my work and controlled the point-of-sale system for over 800+ stores I babysit.
2. Sync'd all my calendar entries from my work to the N900 calendar.
3. Written and run my own tiny web-server in Perl that I can host web-pages off of.
4. Tuned my guitar with it.
5. Played Battletoads on the NES emulator and Super Mario Bros on SNES using a wii controller blue-toothed on an actual tv via tv-out cable.
6. Used Qik to do real-time video recordings over the web for a soccer game.
7. Watched some *cough* pirated t.v. shows using mplayer and kmplayer (mplayer will play everything that I've found) on our living room television using tv-out.
8. Streamed German internet radio through the FM transmitter into our surround sound speaker system in the living room.
9. Recorded a video of our cats fighting.
10. Taken numerous pictures.
11. Used VNC Viewer to control some of my LDAP boxes at my work which are running a KDE X-Windows.
12. Checked the weather.
13. Streamed mp3 music through my Jeep's stereo using the FM transmitter.
14. Played around with the GPS (though I already have another GPS in my Jeep so it was just for fun)
15. Numerous text messages via SMS, Google IM AND Skype.
16. Made a couple of Skype calls, and received a few.
17. Oh, made phone calls too.

There are quite a bit more things but I can't recall them all now. This phone has already become something I now rely on. Hard to imagine just 2 weeks ago I was living fine without it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
...Other things are quite disappointing: the camera's hazy flash shots...
I just shot some pics with macro, It is quite good! Here are the pics, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32951&page=20, thread #777

Other than that, N8x0 users will have a hard time to justify the smaller screen..............., it is not just a little bit smaller, it is VERY small . I guess for 1st time Nokia user, it may be alright. For seasoned N8x0 users, the small screen is quite annoying. Another annoying "regression" is the kick stand, it is a joke. Apparantly Nokia likes to do the opposite for whatever we cherrish, like the metal cover from 770 to N8x0, now the kick stand and the dpad from N8x0 to N900...... ummm, I got it now, hey, Nokia, I love the small screen, can you please make the N920 screen smaller, uh? A desparate call

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-12-16 at 05:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Oh, forgot to say. I don't have the cash to waste. Thus I'd rather make a more informed decision than just buying it and potentially exposing myself to buyer's regret.
I don't think you going to disappoint it ..! people had the problem with their device may be just a small number out of bigger picture in the company sell , that common for any company not just Nokia alone especialy always happen with the new line product ..They will get much better eventually . Afterall my self don't have any problem since I had the device for the last 3 week everything run perfect as it is , if you 're web additive then this device could be for you . Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to joesphle For This Useful Post:
Gerbick

I was one of the very first owners of the 770, I then bought a N800. I never upgraded to the N810 because I did not feel that it offered anything above the N800. I especially would have missed the dual SD card slot.

But in not getting the N810 I started to detach from this community. What the N900 has done is to bring me back. And right now I am enjoying the whole N900 Journey. Knowing there is going to be an N910 or whatever, actually excites me even more, cause I get to go on another journey next year when I know my N900 will not be able to avert my eye

On the matter of affordability there is a side effect of the phone integration. ( I cant afford it either) but unlike the N8xx I get to spread to cost thanks to Vodafone

You are a long time forum member, and I would not be overstating the matter when I say that most people find your balanced opinions of value. I think that your experience with Flash will be of great value to this community (bring on Flash 10). But its difficult to play from the bench.

Now to the N900. Yes it has its issues, I am especially disappointed on the features missing from Mail for Exchange. As a Nokia E71 user I had assumed that Mail for Exchange was Mail for Exchange. Apparently not. But you know what, Vitaly Repin the lead MfE Engineer then turns up on the forum and starts getting involved with this community. That changed my mind, and reminded me why I like this place.

My N900 arrived 5 days after I ordered it. I have had no problems with it, and the having used it non stop for the last week, I am again reminded why I believed in the N770 N800, the browser is once again the best you can get on a mobile device. And the VOIP and IM are also well executed.

As long as you don't use it like an iPhone ie with the tips of your fingers and thumbs, but with your index finger turned sideways so the edge of your finger nail just makes contact, and flick instead of push,its speed is amazing. Double tap on a block of text and it zooms in just right to fit that block of text to the width of the screen. Double tap on the same block of text and it zooms back out. Again the resolution of the screen always amazes. Do I find it too small. Nope, the fluid zooming makes up for the screen size.

On the N900 there are lots of other features that are new, there are lots of features that are missing, but the browser makes up for it for me cause thats where I spend 80% of my time.

So what about the dual SD card slot, do I miss that. Well the 32GB internal and microSD card slot makes up for this, and is a feature still not available on any competing device with a keyboard.

So get that bloody N900, come along for the ride, cause we sure would enjoy your company.

Last edited by mikec; 2009-12-16 at 08:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
As a fellow N810 user, I would have to advise waiting as well. I've followed the N900 threads both here and, for some of them, in Bugzilla. Nokia seems to be working on software fixes for some of the problems mentioned elsewhere in these forums. I am waiting to see if the number of problems dies down after the first major firmware update is pushed. I am also hopeful that it will include at least some feature improvements.

If I had to buy a phone today, I'd get the Droid. Android seems to be more polished than Maemo 5, I see fewer problems in the Droid forums, there are more apps and they are, again, more polished, and I can still get root if I ever wanted to. OTOH, I don't have to buy a phone today so I'm content to sit on the fence (painful as that can be) for a while.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
gerbick,

You don't indicate which carrier you are currently on with the iPhone, and since you don't list your location in your profile, I can only speculate that you may be in the U.S.

That being said, the availability of the T-Mobile US 3G bands were a major factor in getting the N900. Like you I was using the iPhone though jailbroken on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

I still get random reboots occassionally - I have had a total of 5 in the nearly 4 weeks I have had the device. Not great, but the seem to be localized to only when I am using MicroB and /proc/bootreason lists a sw_rst so it's probably related to a software issue and not defective hardware.

Yes, I've learned to live without creature comfort apps from the iPhone (yelp, shazam, mint, etc) but for me, I on a personal level (as a hacker and developer) I had it with the app-Store control issues. It's a personal philosophy thing really, and my own choice for leaving and moving to the N900.

The other consideration for me from leaving the iPhone was the MyTouch 3G w/ Android, however, a physical keyboard was also something I really wanted again.

Regarding battery life - I rarely last an entire day without having to top up or swap batteries (I bought a spare), though I guess I'm a power-user. MS Exchange 2007 push + IMAP account, heavy browsing, texts, calls, etc.

The N900 for me is great, but it's not perfect, and it's something that I've had to realize requires time and effort to solve the problems that exist.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypnotik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
As a fellow N810 user, I would have to advise waiting as well....
I think this is also my recommendation. What I am doing with the N900 now, is trying to make it function like an N810. There is no doubt N900 is going to be better then the N8x0 in the long run, better hw, more developed sw, etc. but not today.

I got the N900 because I 'need' to. I have no phone for over 1 year and I am at the right time to shop for one, and also my pet projects.... Go back to the phone, the quality of skype on the N900 is a lot better. N810 drops a couple of words for every 2-3 sentences and N900 drops zero words. I give the credit to more cpu power on the N900 then the a newer version of skype...maybe a combination of both.

Finally, there is no right or wrong. I agree to almost everybody's post on this thread. You want a new toy, go for it, you wont be disappointed. To the contrary, the N810 has NOT been replaced by N900 - not untill Nokia tidy up some of the lose ends.

If you are a married man, like I am, I do feel tremendous amount of guilt in spending so much $ on 'my' hobby while buying $50 or so christmas gift for my lady. This is ALL started with a 75$ 770 2 years back, and then the N800, and then... Yes, I have done rambling

bun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
You don't indicate which carrier you are currently on with the iPhone, and since you don't list your location in your profile, I can only speculate that you may be in the U.S.
I'm sorry about that. And yes, I'm in the southeast US - South Carolina to be exact - with an AT&T contract that will be ending very soon. T-Mobile, upon their purchase of Suncom means that the coverage in this area would be great (I travel a LOT less now) but if I continue on AT&T, I would lose 3G and I'm in a great 3G area at the moment.

That being said, the availability of the T-Mobile US 3G bands were a major factor in getting the N900. Like you I was using the iPhone though jailbroken on T-Mobile's EDGE network.
Friend of mine is doing the same... he's loving T-Mobile.

Yes, I've learned to live without creature comfort apps from the iPhone (yelp, shazam, mint, etc) but for me, I on a personal level (as a hacker and developer) I had it with the app-Store control issues. It's a personal philosophy thing really, and my own choice for leaving and moving to the N900.
Thanks for sharing this. Much appreciated. I'm starting to finally get a bit bothered with the limits of the app store myself. Just starting though. But I can see it growing to somewhere near where I think you're at now easily.

The other consideration for me from leaving the iPhone was the MyTouch 3G w/ Android, however, a physical keyboard was also something I really wanted again.
For me, it's the promise of Flash 10.1 player. That will assist me in my projects. Well that and a truly capable browser. I use Tear and MicroB and RARELY use the iPhone browser... only for quick Google searches.

The N900 for me is great, but it's not perfect, and it's something that I've had to realize requires time and effort to solve the problems that exist.
Thanks for your honesty. Thank you all for sharing your pros and cons in a fashion that I could wrap my little brain around it. I don't mind the tech specs, but for me - this time - it was more about the usability and how real people were using it. Sure, the fact it can be extended in darn near limitless ways has never escaped me - trust me, I take my N810 everywhere, only miss video calls with Skype - and it's been almost a laptop replacement.

The N900... I guess I'll have to continue lurking and reading you guys experiences and make an informed decision since it's not something I'll have access to quite yet since I'm not heading to the Nokia stores before they close nor any stores have it in stock quite yet.

Thanks again. It is appreciated. I've shared this thread with a few others who are on the fence.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've had an N900 for longer than most of the other old-time users here. I really haven't picked up either one of my N800s since I got my N900, except for testing Easy Debian and loading movies for my daughter to watch in the car... And when I did, I found it felt "clunky" and dissatisfying.

Having said that, I expect prices to come down over the next months. Wait till it comes down a bit and snap one up then.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
If you don't have cash to burn then simply keep watching for now. The firmware update will either make or break this phone. You will have issues with it if you are coming from the iPhone. The user experience is sub-standard if you decide to comapre. Also, tmobile 3G/3.5G kicks major *** when compared to ATT. They might also be subsidizing the phone in the future.

This basically reminds me of the N95. It was great when it came out but the problems started showing really fast. What did Nokia do? The N958GB which basically kicked ***. Just wait for the update.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megacrazy For This Useful Post: