Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
In my 2 decades of using the internet I have seen much, MUCH worse. Get out more. You're in for a shock if you think this place is the worst.
You've already posted here that you consider this thread to have run its course so why do you keep coming back?

I also agree about this being an extremely snobbish site.

P.S: With the slew of posts you pour onto this site I wouldn't recommend to others to 'get out more' if I were you.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
If you are satisfied with your N900 take your Texrat lover and make sweet love to the N900. Maybe you guys can take a couple of logic classes on the way to the bedroom because you are nothing but a bunch of dorks, nerds, fanboys and idiots in general.
Is this game over for Megacrazy?

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Let's start by you listing your ports. Let's start by listing one that is not in any sort of beta stage, half complete or generally crappy.

Let's start with 1 game that's actually fun to play on this device.

I will post one: http://toucharcade.com/2009/09/16/me...ting-goodness/

Perhaps there is a reason why linux in general is still in the gutter? Perhaps there is a reason a fully featured device takes off in 2 years and Nokia tablets crash and burn? Hey, what do I know, I am sure people will go crazy over some msn plugin that sort of works years later

So what is there worth installing in the repos as of today that is not in beta, alpha or any other testing stage?
proftpd is fully ported and optified - can be installed with no impact to rootfs other than 1 doc file. Rar is still not optified but is out there.

Ok thats my two ports - now lets list your contributions .... *crickets chirping*.

Now onto things that are worth installing.

Hrmm Claws email reader springs to mind, especially given the constant *****ing about the email client. Xournal and conboy both great note taking apps. Kplayer has just been optified and can be used with both gstreamer and mplayer backend giving those people with issues playing media an alternative.... I could go on - but the fact is you don't care. You are just one of those people who would complain their arse was cold if they started crapping gold nuggets.

Im out
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ok, I've changed my mind about restructuring this place.

We need a Disingenuous and Immature Malcontents subforum ASAP.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Add to the fact that this site is the most intolerant, snubbish site I have ever come across in the over a decade I have been using the internet. The verbal attacks are going to be very interesting to watch.
Plus many here seem incable of taking anything slightly resembling a criticism of the N900. Case in point is the strange response to your well thought out and constructive point highlighting a few of the issues mainstream users will have with the device. Typical response here to any slight criticism of the device is "then sell the device"; "go back to your iphone", etc.
Constructive criticism is very welcome. Just check many other threads here or the bugzilla.
Don't you wonder why the only users that get in "trouble" have mostly registered in November 2009? Perhaps they lack some tact and social skills to integrate as newcomers into an existing community?

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ok, I've changed my mind about restructuring this place.

We need a Disingenuous and Immature Malcontents subforum ASAP.
I'd rather call it Mortal Kombat Arena. And we should encourage people there to be as insensitive, useless and annoying as they can
Then watch

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Here are my contributions so far:

- Exposing how crappy the browser gets if you dare to play music at the same time on this "mobile computer"
- Showing how broken the RSS reader is

These are all factors that come into play when people decide to buy this device. You stick to preaching your BS about how great this phone is in 2 months when the next update comes out and it fixes 10% of the issues that exist.
Wow that is some contributions!!!
lets just define what a contribution is shall we!?
"the part played by a person in bringing about a result; "I am proud of my contribution in advancing the project"; "they all did their share of the ..."

You must be so proud! especially since both your "contributions" were proven wrong (and perhaps even shown to be false!?) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwDn50QjNfM
So is it still a contribution? Are you still proud!?

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Insead View Post
I've had my N900 for a bit over a week. Bless my father, he got it as a gift for me as he know I like gadgets and it was my birthday. I can't blame him. We had talked about phones a few weeks earlier and I had mentioned the N900 as one that looked pretty interesting but a device I had not looked closer at.

So I've been exploring the content in the various repositories.
Installed and tried out applications
Read and other places about features, future, etc.

In the end, I can't help but to feel that the N900 and maemo are dinosaurs in many (but not all) areas compared to the iphone.

On my iPhone I download torrents at the command-line level (./gettorrent, etc) , switch between applications using Kilkari or whatever the app is called, I play games like Dungeon Hunter, Alive4Ever, Civilization, etc with graphics and gameplay that the N900 is a million light years behind.

I access the terminal on my iPhone and browse using a file manager.

I connect to my work mail exchange flawlessly and the phone is significantly better than the N900.

I tether it to my laptop and connect the laptop to the internet using it.
I can even set up a MiFi using it.

I also like music and there is an area where the iPhone once again wins.

Seriously the 90% of the things I do off my laptop are vastly superior on the iPhone.

The N900 is nice in that it gives more access to the OS and that the apps are free.
But, most apps looks like something developed 5 years ago and they seem to always be buggy.

I'm not a developer who needs full OS access on my phone and I doubt most people really do.
It's cool to be able to say that you got it...but if you need it to do your stuff then the GUI is seriously flawed.

The N900 is going up on eBay. Proceeds will go to my upcoming skiing trip (blessed by my dad).
It's a shitty device but in really good condition so if you want to make me an offer, and save me from selling it on ebay, send me a direct message. Offers made in this thread will not be considered.

If you're in the Chicago area you can do a local pick-up.
Liar liar pants on fire !!

The only checker boarding I ever noticed after using my N900 is if..

A) I was on EDGE and scrolled before page finished loading.
B) I installed the Ad-block extension from extras. That seems to screw with the browser (alot more browser rendering issues after I installed that).

Never had a problem with music and browsing the web either *shrugs*. I routinely listen to podcast or music while browsing the web. Even using my bluetooth headphones (which should consume more power and resources).

There are things about this device that need to be fixed and some that make you wonder how it ever got past Nokia. One of the issues MegaCrazy pointed out that I do see as valid is that the RSS reader blows. I just don't bother with it (partially due to me using Google Reader so the articles I read on my desktop and laptop are kept in sync). It also doesn't seem to detect some feeds that Google Reader will. Since I was trying to get the DC Alerts in the RSS reader so I could be updated about any DC related emergencies that would influence my commute.

And reading that this community is one of the worst made me laugh. If this is the worse you've encountered in a decade of using the internet you need to turn off the kiddy filter. There are some screwed up things here (some by relatively new 2009 posters, and some from older posters) but by far this community is relatively decent compared to what you can find on the internet.

As for why Linux in general has a hard time capturing desktop/laptop marketshare? (note the word desktop/laptop). It's because there are so many bloody distributions you can choose from. Hard to support the operating system if you have to make sure your application runs in Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu (granted it's a derivative from Debian), Gentoo, etc..etc.

It's the same thing with Maemo. Maemo 3 (or whatever the 770 ran since I didn't own it) =/= Maemo 4 =/= Maemo 5. Heck Nokia is trying to put in a framework so that applications that are developed in Maemo 5 using QT will work in Maemo 6 and vice versa. And potentially this relationship expands to Symbian as well.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The only checker boarding I ever noticed after using my N900 is if..

A) I was on EDGE and scrolled before page finished loading.
B) I installed the Ad-block extension from extras. That seems to screw with the browser (alot more browser rendering issues after I installed that).

Never had a problem with music and browsing the web either *shrugs*. I routinely listen to podcast or music while browsing the web. Even using my bluetooth headphones (which should consume more power and resources).

There are things about this device that need to be fixed and some that make you wonder how it ever got past Nokia. One of the issues MegaCrazy pointed out that I do see as valid is that the RSS reader blows. I just don't bother with it (partially due to me using Google Reader so the articles I read on my desktop and laptop are kept in sync). It also doesn't seem to detect some feeds that Google Reader will. Since I was trying to get the DC Alerts in the RSS reader so I could be updated about any DC related emergencies that would influence my commute.

And reading that this community is one of the worst made me laugh. If this is the worse you've encountered in a decade of using the internet you need to turn off the kiddy filter. There are some screwed up things here (some by relatively new 2009 posters, and some from older posters) but by far this community is relatively decent compared to what you can find on the internet.

As for why Linux in general has a hard time capturing desktop/laptop marketshare? (note the word desktop/laptop). It's because there are so many bloody distributions you can choose from. Hard to support the operating system if you have to make sure your application runs in Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu (granted it's a derivative from Debian), Gentoo, etc..etc.

It's the same thing with Maemo. Maemo 3 (or whatever the 770 ran since I didn't own it) =/= Maemo 4 =/= Maemo 5. Heck Nokia is trying to put in a framework so that applications that are developed in Maemo 5 using QT will work in Maemo 6 and vice versa. And potentially this relationship expands to Symbian as well.
I agree.

Anyway, the problem is with general attitude on these forums not the phone itself. The device has lots of issues that have been pointed out over and over again and yet some posters insist that their devices work as advertised and that we should sell the phones because they are not for us. I guess Nokia made this phone for the 5 people who are worthy enough to be on this forum? What kinda geeky and idiotic attitude is that...

I couldn't care less about anyone's contributions here and you know why?

- because bluetooth doesn't work at the same time as wifi
- because I don't know what number a contact called me from
- because my music sounds crappy every day because there is no equalizer
- because the phone app switches between portrait/landscape like a maniac when I take the phone away from my ear to look at the screen
- because the widgets provided basically do nothing
- because it takes me 5 minutes to actually read an email on the phone
- because sometimes the phone fails to reacquire signal for like 10 mins

I think the future is very clear and doubt there is any debate over that:

- App stores
- Professionally developed, paid for apps
- Excellent user experience

This is where everyone else is headed and Nokia is getting on board as well. The days where it was exciting to simply RD to your home computer was cool are gone forever. Nowadays it has to be possible and work perfectly. Not only that but it has to be aesthetically pleasing as well. It doesn't matter what command line tool you might have ported or might be working perfectly. We're not in the 80's. If you guys don't get that then you have lost touch with reality.

Closed Thread