Notices

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
Notice:
It would be nice to have someone test these ports and let me know whether or not they work on an N900, and how well (I assume they should all work on the N810, 800, 770).

First of all I'd like to make clear, this thread is not meant for you to ask for your favorite game to be ported or done for maemo, this is an attempt to make a list of all current on going or complete projects of retro games/ports.

So as I've stated, this is an attempt to put everything in the same place in a list, this is meant only for retro games and ports, this isn't meant for mobile games (No, I don't want to hear about snake 3d, space tetris, or bouncie the magic ball).
So help me out here if you see I've neglected anything, or I've got any of the details wrong.. I'd like to make this as detailed and informative as possible.

Soon to be added-
* Device compatibility (help me out with this, test it out, let me know if it works on the N900)

Retro ports

Duke Nukem 3D-
Description- Duke Nukem 3D.. Do you really need a link?
Download from- Links in forum topic

LGeneral-
Description- LGeneral is a turn-based strategy game heavily inspired by the classic Panzer General

ScummVM-
Description- ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, such as Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2; Revolution's Beneath A Steel Sky, Broken Sword 1 and Broken Sword 2, Lucas Arts' games, etc.
Download from- ScummVM website

Jagged Alliance 2: Straciatella- -
Description- A JA2 engine. Jagged alliance is a tactical Strategy Role-playing game.
Requires original game files

UrQuan Masters! -
Description- A UQM port. UrQuan Masters is a science fiction adventure game set out in space.

Pentagram-
Description- Pentagram is an Ultima 8 engine. Ultima 8 is a roleplaying game that takes place in medieval times.
Download from- Here

FreeCiv- -
Description- A strategy game inspired by the Civilization series.

Dungeon Master/Chaos Strike-
Description- A strategy/role playing game inspired by the Dungeon Master series.
Download from- Link

Seen on the web, and need more info on- These are projects that I can't find anywhere.. Links and information would be appreciated.

Baldur's Gate

Quake 3

Little Big Advanture 2

PSX (I doubt that this was taken on an n900, but I'm really hoping that it was, so let me know if you know anything about it)

Emulators

List of currently available emulators for maemo
The N900 wiki page also have some information on emulators

GBA compatibility

Find out what games work on VGBA
Help expend the list by further testing new games.

DOSbox compatibility

Find out what games work on DOSbox
Help expend the list by further testing new games.

Post if you see that I've forgotten anything, and help me out by letting me know what works on maemo 5, and what doesn't.

Last edited by late666; 2009-12-16 at 19:06.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to late666 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I believe the similar emulator thread already got a wiki page. These could for the most part be added to that page or their own.

Scummvm should be noted that input mapping to be fully functional on the N900 hasn't been completed.

Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
I believe the similar emulator thread already got a wiki page. These could for the most part be added to that page or their own.

Scummvm should be noted that input mapping to be fully functional on the N900 hasn't been completed.
The wiki page refers to emulators only.

Page updated BTW.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
It says uqm is incomplete. How is it incomplete? It's a more recent version than is available for ubuntu and has all the content.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Well, I wasn't sure, from what I read it's still unstable- lots of bugs, game crashes, game gets stuck..
Correct me if I'm wrong..

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
There's one new unverified bug report that running it with the music player running (why?) locks up and a problem with defective N900s that lack up and down arrrow keys that has an easy workaround. That's it.

At version 0.6.7, it's a more "complete" version than any other OS has without compiling your own.

You ought to use "stable" and "unstable" or "beta/alpha/etc." if you're trying to report on the stability of a port. Incomplete suggests missing features. Most programs actually available in extras should be stable, but not necessarily complete.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-15 at 00:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Baldur's Gate is available via GemRB. I dont think theres anything available for Maemo 5 and not sure if its even being worked on.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
An excellent port that never gets mentioned around here is Dungeon Master/Chaos Strike.
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_...release_id=874

A super easy install comes with this as well!

It's a really great port!

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ France
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
An excellent port that never gets mentioned around here is Dungeon Master/Chaos Strike.
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_...release_id=874

A super easy install comes with this as well!

It's a really great port!
I just tried to install this on the N900 but apparently it's missing the libaudiofile0 package and thus the software is "unconfigured" (according to the X terminal screen) and the program doesn't seem to launch; the launch icons appear in the menu but when launched, there is an endless loop of some kind. I can't figure out what's the deal with the libaudiofile0 package but it doesn't seem like it can simply be added : http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...velopers/52274
Did anyone successfully install this on the N900?

-=AC=-

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Nice thread. I suggest it would be a good idea to focus just on retro remakes/ports, to avoid overlap with the other emulation threads/wiki pages. In other words, remove the ScummVM, PSX, GBA and DOSbox stuff. Also, it would probably be good to make a wiki page on this, in addition to this thread.