Active Topics

Notices

Hello;

I am very interested in purchasing the N900. However, I use a lot of windows-based software. Since the maemo software is linux-based I thought an end around would be to use the WINE software. However, I learned that WINE uses an x86 cpu whereas maemo uses an ARM cpu. My question, is there any way windows-based software will work on the N900? If so, what do I need?

WINE = x86 != arm

Windows based software wont work out of the box reguardless unless there's a comparable linux arm version and someone is willing to port.

In a word... no sorry

In laymans terms - Wine merely implements windows api system calls in a linux friendly way - it does not emulate the CPU.

http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/A...and_Processors

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
you could use DOSBox but it will be really really slow.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
Why anyone would want to run a windows software on this device beats me. There are tons of LInux tools which pretty much replaces any windows software out there. (and the tiny percentage of windows software without replacement, you wouldn't want to run on your N900 anyway)

IMHO its way better and easier to see how some really cool linux applications could be ported to maemo

My Blog

The Following User Says Thank You to bigbrovar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I would love to see OpenOffice port to N900 though. Pure OpenSource project

Thanks for the feedback. Any chance maemo 6 can handle this problem? I thought I heard it's due out in Q1 2010.

Maemo 6 won't change anything. As long as the processor is based off ARM (most mobile devices are) you won't be able to run X86 software. Now if Nokia had a Maemo device that used an X86 processor then you could try something like this.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
I would love to see OpenOffice port to N900 though. Pure OpenSource project
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=openoffice

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-12-12 at 14:53.