Active Topics

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Mine is similar to this: ASUS WL-330G:
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...pno~473197.asp

The one I have is an earlier model, 330B. The only difference is that mine is 802.11b while the newer 330G model is 802.11g, and that my older model can function as a wi-fi bridge (repeater) as well. I haven't actually used that functionality, but it's meant for where e.g. the wi-fi in your hotel has a signal that is too weak when you're sitting outside on the veranda -- you could stretch the range a bit by leaving the pocket adapter in range of the hotel wi-fi and let it work as a repeater. Probably not as much used as the other two modes (AP and adapter), so they dropped it from the new model.
Thats what I have
The Asus wl-330g

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Note this comment in the Bora 3.1 maintenance update:
FEATURES
========

Features listed below are present only in the developer ROOTFS
================================================== ============

Battery charging and power management

USB/IP
- networking using g_ether.ko USB networking gadget is available in initfs
- USB networking control panel applet in rootfs

Connectivity support (USB, WLAN, bluetooth) support
- USB networking

http://repository.maemo.org/stable/3...lnotes_3.1.txt

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Ok, so the N800 has support for IP over USB.
I loaded the g_ether module as described earlier in the thread by Richard and connected my windows PC and the IT with the USB cable. The WIndows PC recognized the Ethernet USB device but there are no drivers on the PC to use the connection.
Any ideas how to proceed ? [ OK, besides switching the OS on the host :-) ]

Thanks.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Aloha, OR
google for linux.inf, save the file. make sure that it has Windows CRLF for each line. then follow the directions @ http://docwiki.gumstix.org/Windows_XP_usbnet.

If you have access to the linux kernel source linux.inf is in the Documention/usb/ directory.

Thanks so much for the explanation and links, Richard.
I enabled the driver as described in the link.
Unfortunately my WinXP Sp2 does not like the connection. The installation finishes with: Cannot start the device ( code 10). No new network connection visible
I see some suspicious messages on the IT with dmesg. Unfortunatly, I do not understand USB protocols nor RNDIS.

The g_file* stuff works ok.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Aloha, OR
Did you have the g_ether module loaded, an ip address configured on the N800 and the USB cable connected? Loading the XP driver is a PITA. I've seen it hang during the install process. Sometimes disconnecting the USB cable will allow the instalation to complete.

Richard

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by phi View Post
You could just get one of these

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4100839789B19

or an Apple Airport Express. Both serve the same purpose. Of course they are a bit pricey solutions. But if you don't have a bluetooth phone with a data plan, this is a good solution.
FWIW, I got one of these Linksys WTR54GS Travel Router's phi suggested and it works great in my office!

Thanks!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Originally Posted by richardg1952 View Post
Did you have the g_ether module loaded, an ip address configured on the N800 and the USB cable connected? Loading the XP driver is a PITA. I've seen it hang during the install process. Sometimes disconnecting the USB cable will allow the instalation to complete.

Richard
Thanks Richard. At least on my home PC the conection is working now. In the first try I missed enabling the usb0 interface on the IT.
Still the connection is of little value. I expected I could reach the Internet through my WinXP box. I didn't make it ...
Now the steps I followed:
1. On the Nokia using root privilege:
Unload the g_file_storage kernel module.
Code:
rmmod g_file_storage
Load the g_ether module. The path depends on the kernel you are using
Code:
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omapl/g_ether.ko
At this point a
Code:
ifconfig -a
should show the unconfigured (no ip address attached) usb0 interface.
You can use
Code:
ifup usb0
The configuration is taken (and may be changed / inspected) from
Code:
/etc/networks/interfaces
So you will have 192.168.2.15 attached to the N800 usb0 interface and the other side of the USB cable is expected to have 192.168.2.14 attached.

2. Plug in the USB cable. The windows PC will detect the new device and ask for drivers. The drivers are onboard, the OS has to be told which to choose. This is done via an inf file. You take this linux.inf, copy it to your PC file system and manually navigate the wizard to the file location. The installation ended with an error message (code 10). Device Manager -> Network Adapters shows the Linux RNDIS Gadget after View->Show hidden devices is switched on. Still there was no Network Connection visible in the Control Panel. [At this time I saw also an error box on my N800. The reason was: I am using mmc2 as my root file system. This box my safely be ack'ed.]

3. I unhooked the USB cable and rebooted the PC. The subsequent repluging fo the USB cable successfully created the Network Connection. The connection was in disabled state. It could be enabled after the IP settings of the connection on the PC side had been set manually to the matching IP address of the N800 ( 192.168.2.14, if you used the nokia supplied config above). Now I could open an ssh session from my PC to the N800.

4. I was unsuccessful with routng ip through the XP! I did enable forwarding in the registry (KB315236 but browsing WWW from the N800 failed. (After all I am using "private" IP addresses, so this makes sense). In case the routing would work, one has to set up DNS properly on the N800 before the fun begins.

5. So I tried "bridging". But this is a mystery to me. Simply bridging the exisitng connections in the Control Panel did create a Windows Bridged Connection. But from that point on neither the PC nor the N800 had a working IP setup. I have no clue how to set up the bridging correctly.

Last edited by HuangShan; 2007-04-06 at 20:20.

The bridging is quite well explained in here.
At home my DSL-router runs a DHCP server. I set up the bridging interface on the PC and the usb0 interface on the N800 to DHCP. The InternetTablett did not aquire the needed address. Setting it manually to a reasonable value lets me open a ssh session from the PC to the device, but a wget to my DSL- router from the N800 gives me "no route to host" ... Strange as it is the same ip network.

Anyone trying to connect ehternet to the Nokia tablets should consider an Ad hoc connection:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
I have personally yet to see if it works as I haven't tried with a compatible wifi connection myself.