Notices

my brother in-law gave me a link to this site

https://www.meebo.com/#FrontPage

it works pretty well, and i guess i'll hold me off untill an actual app that has aim built-in.

Well if it doesn't open up with the Application Manger, then you need to open Xterm, become root, and dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/pidgin*.deb (assuming you saved it to the default Documents directory).
It would be easier if you just added extras-testing to your repository list (blah blah this is dangerous as software in repo has not been tested).

Here's how:
http://p7230.homelinux.com/os2008/da...00testing.html

You guys really need to stop being so uptight and encourage a little more bleeding-edge Gentoo-style philosophy around here.

Pidgin is also in extras-testing FYI.

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
You guys really need to stop being so uptight and encourage a little more bleeding-edge Gentoo-style philosophy around here.
because in the end you think those affected will appreciate it?

i'm all for curiosity and bleeding-edge, but having used the extras-testing extensively since october, i could not advice anyone to use extras-testing unless they were ok with flashing the device or accepting performance issues as a potential consequence. especially when the person asking for advice calls him/herself a n00b or otherwise unsure about what they're doing.

Last edited by edgar2; 2009-12-05 at 11:07.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edgar2 For This Useful Post:
Maybe I'm an elitist **** (although I am of the opinion that it is elitist to tell people that they can't do something...and aren't I advising the opposite?)

Catering to the iCrowd will only hold Maemo back.

I'll admit flashing is annoying, especially with the majority of the data storage on the N900 non-removable (SD).

Rather than treating them like a toddler by telling them: "no XZY for you, you need to be an adult for that" Why not give step-by-step instructions.

The fact of the matter is that haze, Pidgin, etc. are as of now only available in extras-testing for the Fremantle folks.

Right now you are saying "no AIM for you. You must wait." That is not only ridiculous but absurd to expect people to wait to use something that isn't broken.

It would be different if there were already an older version of the package available in extras while the newest was in testing.

Now as I recall, there used to be links posted (I do not know if this is still the case) that would allow one-time use of a specific repository, so as to install a single package (plus dependences) that would open in the Application Manager. I think this would be an acceptable compromise for the current situation, no?

EDIT: For example this link won't permanently add the repo to the list, will just install the package from that repo: http://p7230.homelinux.com/os2008/danger/pidgin.install (yes, I know I am a horrible, horrible person)

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2009-12-05 at 11:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic

So you want to send out normal users to -testing without warning. They install software that for example drains their battery.
Result: "Ah, Linux, hacker **** that does not work, I'll never buy a Linux device again."

Congratulations.

Please think before posting such comments.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Aha, "bullsheet" and "sheet" are censored here? interesting...

Also if anyone wants to complain about sending someone to extras-testing, just **** off.
Yes, I do. -testing is not meant for normal users. If you send people to -testing then at least CLEARLY WARN them.

What you currently do here (sending people to -devel without warning) is giving a sh*t about normal users.
Congratulations for such an arrogance.

See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=343619

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by B E G View Post
allrighty...ill give that one a look when i wake up in the am...ANY THING ELSE while i wait on fring to fring lol?
Again: Do not use Extras-Devel if you are not aware of the risks. Software is not yet in "Extras" for a reason: It has not been tested enough yet. It may ruin your battery, or turn your device into a brick.

linuxeventually posted links to Extras-Devel here and gives a sh*t about the risks for the users, led by false ideals.

Right now you are saying "no AIM for you. You must wait." That is not only ridiculous but absurd to expect people to wait to use something that isn't broken.
Why not ask the dev to push the package to extras-testing then?

Having users enable extras-devel without knowing the effects that might bring is a bit silly really. If you know what you're doing then go ahead, but don't recommend it without letting people know what might happen (and it's not the specific package we're talking about, it's other stuff in the repo that might be shown as upgrades, etc.)

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:

Tags
aim, client, facebook, fremantle, fring, googletalk, haze, icq, implementing msn, instant message, instant messaging, jabber, maemo, maemo 5, msn, pidgin, purple, sametime, skype, telepathy, y!m, yahoo