Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
What one thing did I gain? My whole system is faster and seems more stable. Media operations work better. Battery life is noticeably better. I have installed a lot of programs with few glitches. The main complaint I would have is that not enough of the stuff promised has been fixed yet -- still no Skype, video is still not that good.

I had to reflash the version you are sticking loyally to five times, twice in one weekend. I don't have the feeling that is going to happen with this version. I could be wrong, but so far so great.

OK....Since the latest OS2007 upgrade,
My nokia has louder volume, a brighter screen, is faster all around, will not run horizon at all, and seems to conserve its battery a good bit more.

It reminds me of about a year ago when the 2nd or 3rd update to OS2005 came out. Suddenly, without any obvious functional upgrade, the entire machine just work(ed) a whole lot faster and better.

I have had no App manager errors, no Wifi problems, nothing bad except that when you extend the side camera (which automatically opens google talk video) and immediately open the photo application, you're asking for a meltdown.

dcarter

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
You gain Video performace... Look I am not going to make an argument about this and I am not been "loyal" to any firmware There is only a few people stating "positive" statements about the new firmware...
- > + = You do the math..
Thats funny I had never had to reflash my device...
Maybe User Error?
hehehehe
cya...

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
OK....Since the latest OS2007 upgrade,
My nokia has louder volume, a brighter screen, is faster all around, will not run horizon at all, and seems to conserve its battery a good bit more.

It reminds me of about a year ago when the 2nd or 3rd update to OS2005 came out. Suddenly, without any obvious functional upgrade, the entire machine just work(ed) a whole lot faster and better.

I have had no App manager errors, no Wifi problems, nothing bad except that when you extend the side camera (which automatically opens google talk video) and immediately open the photo application, you're asking for a meltdown.

dcarter
That sounds good dcarter
maybe ill consider the upgrade

Thanks dcarter

Just to add my 2c:

1. Flashed with Bleb's GUI front end to the OS X 770 flasher (on an intel Mac)
2. YouTube is now almost watch-able.
3. Media Player video play back is now much improved. Re-encoded an episode of Prison Break to 400x240 600kbps and it was flawless.
4. I never changed the default power saving settings, now "Lock Touch screen and keys" blacks the screen and only responds to the power button (this is how I thought it should work)

Still, no SDHC which means I still ain't buying a flash card

It took me less than 1 minute to actually install the "RX-34_2007SE_3.2007.10-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin" file on my Nokia N800 because I downloaded it first... THEN installed it (I didn't want to be disconnected from the internet for some odd reason and thus mess up my Nokia N800). I couldn't be happier (except it took me an hour to install everything again and another hour to test everything out again) and everything works perfect and many many improvements have been added. I am surprised to see so many having problems. I am always very nervous cuz I know one of these upgrades I may be in for some major trouble cuz you all have me so scared to touch this thing after reading everyone's problems.

Last edited by euchreprof; 2007-03-25 at 09:46.

Well, I do have two 8GB SDHC cards on the N800; so until a SDK is released, that will give us the posibility to patch the new kernel version with SDHC support (or build in SDHC support from Nokia will be nice too) and also add SDHC boot (that improves overall system performance), I'm sticking with my current version.

Sure Mediaplayer is not great, but you do have Mplayer that plays way more formats and it's overall performance is very good (specially on the very last version from the 22nd March). Youtube might not be usable, but I've got used to download a converted version using Videodownloader or similar.

Little things like the camera app are also available for the old version.

And anyway there is no improvement that matches having 16GB of Video, MP3, Photos, Maps and other data on the N800. So I'm definitely waiting a bit more.

Last edited by bchuertas; 2007-03-25 at 11:49.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2007 @ South Carolina USA
I find little to complain about in what was actually accomplished for the new release. Bluetooth now works properly with my Think Outside keyboard, video is better but I don't use that feature much. In general the machine seems more responsive and apps install better.

I do wish Nokia would quickly release the new SDK for 2007 so that SDHC will be supported again but, since they never promised SDHC functionality in this release the fact that it is not there cannot be held against them.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
l've upgraded and as of now no problems. Wifi , camera, etc all working. I would like to have seen what bugs Nokia tried to fix with this upgrade. Nokia if you want this community to help in making N800 a success than you better learn how to communicate, that is the business you are in COMMUNICATION.

Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
4. I never changed the default power saving settings, now "Lock Touch screen and keys" blacks the screen and only responds to the power button (this is how I thought it should work)
This is good. I just tested this, and now "Lock touch screen and keys" seems to do the exact same thing as "Soft poweroff", except the mechanism to re-awaken the N800 is different (power switch then enter, vs. hold down power button).

Does anybody know if there is any other difference between the two?