Active Topics

Originally Posted by phreck View Post
uhhh. right.
The community around here is something to behold, at times.

By any chance is this a person who didnt read Maemo forums or nokia press releases before buying the phone. GGGG i wonder how many people are gonna do that. My guess is loads

Deosnt help its being sold as a smartphone like i said. Either way unlucky mate but that will teach you to research a phone lots before you buy it. esp one so expensive.

you prpobably didnt no but its not intended for you. only Linux techies should dare to buy this as it was solely intended for them as they dont mind the fact that the phone features are half assed or that it is buggy. you know why cos to them the benifits far out way a few missing features. if only it was sold like this nokia/maemo wouldnt have a problem.

Mud sticks people and the N900 is really starting to get a bad name. even people at work who i have been singing the n900 praises to have heard its buggie and the launch was a joke. They were so close to peeling themselves away from their iphones/G1s and opening their eyes to the possibilies of a contender

whats going on i was really really hopeful for the N900 BUT im gonna stick by it for now and see how this promised Firmware update pans out.

Originally Posted by iJanne View Post
But the thing is: Nokia told us all this beforehand! They were clear the Maemo was not yet ready for consumer smartphone use, hence they were releasing a step 4 of 5 - a mobile computer with phone functionality.

It is not about lazy, it is about Maemo not yet being ready for all that we have come to expect from smartphones. Call it being late, if you must. It is a mobile computer first, a phone second because of this - they told us that, very clear, very honest. If that is not a product for you, that is OK, but don't act like Nokia didn't announce this and design it like this.
As i keep saying what Nokia have said and what they are selling the phone as, are two VERY different things.

Not everyone in the world reads this board or nokia information. I admit a little digging would have maybe.....ok would definitely have uncovered this but believe it or not people still buy expensive items before fully researching them.

Originally Posted by revamped View Post
I'm curious about this N900 forum, after searching for a while this was the only real forum I found. Is this just a forum for linux/maemo developers, and is there a better forum for general users of the phone? I just want to share general information and experiences about using the phone (which means I want to hear about people venting complaints).
theres also howardforums.com

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
But someone has already commented in this thread that it is NOT the way "all phones" do it.

Although fair enough, you are right, it should be configurable.

Hmmm...I have a bluetooth banana...how will I know to pickup the banana and answer if the phone doesn't make a noise itself and not just through the banana? Ok that might be annoying.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hilversum
People don't get into the proper scope when they speak. And I bet if they are faced with someone else *in real life* complaining, they wouldn't call them "stupid n00bs" or "idiots". Alas, the internet shields people and that's when the trolling begins.

And for some (like me, also) being such a geeky tool is more than OK - for people wanting a phone and being faced with typing "repository URLs" to get extra software it's definitely not OK.

The thing is - can't we just be civil? Bear in mind - it's being advertised by Nokia in shops and on the website as A PHONE. Not a "Linux geekgasm-inducing device" which is what it is in fact (and some may argue not a complete one yet).

The Following User Says Thank You to sardaukar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sardaukar View Post
it's being advertised by Nokia in shops and on the website as A PHONE. Not a "Linux geekgasm-inducing device" which is what it is in fact (and some may argue not a complete one yet).
I have an N800 and I love it. Love it. I'm on T-Mobile, so the carrier is a non-issue. I immediately ordered an N900, based on my N800 experience and because I'd always thought that all it really needed was phone functionality and it would be a slam dunk device.

Then I reconsidered a bit.

I do need a few more things. It has to be a decent phone, at least. It has to let me use bluetooth the way all my other phones have because, yeah, that's what I want. It has to have decent email (exchange or imap idle and gmail) because, let's face it, that's what I get on Android. Some native (gmail) and some via a commerical app (touchdown).

So the bar has changed.

I'd really, really like Nokia to succeed with this device. The notion of full linux with X running on a phone is wonderful and could be a real game changer.

But first they have to clear a fairly minimal bar.

And I don't think they have yet.

I don't, BTW, think this device will be horrible. I think it'll be great. I just don't think it's - yet - anything like what I need to get me to move.

You know, this thread amongst the other threads are just the scout before the old world army invades with all it's might.

Everyone who joined this place before the N900 was named, knows that it's a tablet first, and a phone second.

Everyone else in the whole world DOES NOT. M'kay? The webshops promote it as the new top of the line Nokia phone. There are lovely glossy pictures, and the texts are all along the lines

"It's a phone. It's a computer. It's multitasking. You can call with GSM, VOIP, send SMS or IM. It's the future."

I had a long thread about it here, worrying that most people would not understand why the N900 is special.

I was right.

This phone is not being marketed as an internet tablet with phone functionality. It's being marketed as the top of the line Nokia phone.

Each and every one who buys this except 1000 talk.maemo.org users and a handful researchaholics are going to expect voice navigation, voice dialling, and most certainly an alarm that beeps even if you have it connected to a handsfree.

This phone will get more complains than the N97.

It's friggin frustrating, it's a wondrous machine and noone is going to understand it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hilversum
It will be my next phone, since my expectactions are (in order of preference):

1. to dig the "tablet" side to the most
2. to answer and reply to SMSs
3. to answer and initiate phone calls
4. MAYBE to skype with it
5. MAYBE use a Bluetooth headset

I believe it fulfills all requests, the fact being that 2 is very far away from 1 . I may even remove the SIM and just use it as a(n expensive) tablet and replace my iPod Touch, keeping my N80 as a phone.

I may have a few gripes with the interface and so on, but in all fairness, I don't get much calls, just texts.

Tags
bluetooth, fanbois, idiot in noob clothing, noise, nokia n900, ring, screen