Active Topics

Holy crap man.. thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Hahaha, it just got EVEN better. Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
My cons:
-People writing this reviews

If you didnt know what was coming with the phone either you were too lazy to ask the seller or you were living under some rock in mars for the last couple of months...

Brainstorm is the place to suggest stuff so please, if you like n900 do it there.
So what, we should only praise the device from now on? What is the point of this forum then? How about if you don't want what people have to say, you just leave the thread instead? I swear, the Maemo fan boys are worse than apple fanboys

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
You're just a complainer. On the one hand, you complain that it doesn't have multi-touch and on the other that it doesn't have a screen as large as the N810 ... as if your "normal" user currently expects to have both of those in the same device.

As for your problem #1, why don't you just get a new girlfriend?
Someone on here asked for what phone features it's missing. Someone provides a reply, and your retort is "you're just a complainer." If Nokia wants Maemo6 to be the success it painted to the fincancial community today I certainly hope they don't rely on you (as in GeraldKo) to make it happen. If Maemo doesn't acquire appeal and significant penetration of the top of the line segment and just remains a tool for system administrators and command line wizards its unlikely Nokia will continue to invest heavily in the platform. It just doesn't make business sense. We will all lose if that's the case. So at least try to be a little open minded.

Last edited by Gadgety; 2009-12-02 at 15:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
The more I play with my phone and the more I read others complaining about crap like MMS and twitter, the more I want to point them elsewhere.

This is a fluke meter for techies folks.

If you don't know what a Fluke device is, you probably shouldn't own this phone either. I guess that about sums it up.

It's a Linux box.. with a phone.

It's not a phone, with "some OS" on it.

If you don't know how to even check your phones uptime, you probably shouldn't own it. This phone is definitely targeted for people who really do some serious IT work.

Then it should be better specified for those normal users, or only sold in a "techgeek shop", which doesn't even exist. If Nokia is going all the way to incorporate a phone functionality in a PC-like phone, then they should do it properly? Because if people were going to buy an N800/N810, they knew 90% what they were going to buy. But the N900 is just confusing to those normal users (which is a lot more than the percentage of techies/geeks). You can argue as long as you want about it, it's facts. If Nokia want to keep up with the competition, they better make the next device adequate for everyone - or they will get them all sent back.

Originally Posted by God View Post
Then it should be better specified for those normal users, or only sold in a "techgeek shop", which doesn't even exist. If Nokia is going all the way to incorporate a phone functionality in a PC-like phone, then they should do it properly? Because if people were going to buy an N800/N810, they knew 90% what they were going to buy. But the N900 is just confusing to those normal users (which is a lot more than the percentage of techies/geeks). You can argue as long as you want about it, it's facts. If Nokia want to keep up with the competition, they better make the next device adequate for everyone - or they will get them all sent back.
While I agree that perhaps this should be better advertised to users, Nokia has NEVER EVER represented this phone in interviews etc as anything other than a device aimed at tech people. The responsibility for deciding what features are necessary for you BEFORE you buy the device is on the end user. A simple hour or so spent googling and reading this site would have revealed most of the shortcomings (email issue excepted and thats fixed already for the next firmware).

There is a growing trend for people to want to be spoon fed all information and to believe what THEY choose to believe rather than getting the facts.

Now if you will excuse me I have to get back to packaging up Proftpd.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcs1000 View Post
I don't know vi - but I still love it.
You haven't lived...

Originally Posted by God View Post
I'm not arguing at all with what and how Nokia has marketed the device. I don't really care. In fact, I didn't even know about this device except through this forum. I've never seen a t.v. ad for it, I've never heard anyone talk about it, I've never seen a webpage ad for it. Ever.

The only reason I knew about this device was because there was a new forum on maemo.org called "N900" and I thought, "oh sweet, they're coming out with a new device."
Then I discovered it was also a phone and knew it was going to finally have what I've always needed.

I could personally care less about what the sheep use or don't like about it. A guy comes up and shows me some cool app on his phone that makes a sheep jump higher and higher as you tap it.

I shrug and show him the perl code I'm about to execute on my phone which will go out and retrieve all the sectors from astroempires.com.

Different types of people. Cute little phone games and what outfit Sally dressed her chihuahua up in don't concern me, and I don't care about facebooking it.

The fact that I can be out camping in my Jeep, fishing by a campfire, and still be able to connect to work and control the point of sale system for over 800 stores, is what I care about.

"What, you want to work all the time?!"

No, my point is that BECAUSE of this phone, I can now DO the stuff I want to do without fear that I may be called in the middle of nowhere and have to drive back to town for some hotspot to work.

Yes, I'm that important at my company.. unfortunately. But because of this phone, my freedom to truly go anywhere has exploded.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
It's not too bad. And there are ctrl,alt, esc and a few other control buttons on the bottom of vi on the touchscreen. I found it somewhat of a hassle to press ctrl+a to switch windows with screen. The two keys are too close together.

All excited upon reading your posting, I typed screen into the terminal. Not found.

Man, I was so looking forward to it.

Where are people installing screen and ssh from?

You can find the ssh, client and server, in the repository.

On another note, I just discovered that for some reason I can't "chmod +x file.pl"

User doesnt gain execute permissions. Hmmm.

Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Get called at 5:30 AM this morning to fix a WebLogic problem we were having. So I answer my phone, tell the operators I'll take care of the issue and hang up.
Flip open the phone, click on my quick link to VPNC which I have loaded my .pcf file onto from my work laptop, and quickly connect to my works VPN.

Once there, I open up my terminal and ssh to the adminstrative AIX box where I have written some scripts to automate a lot of my Weblogic administration tasks.
I connect to the AIX box, fire off my script, watch as the problem resolves itself, and go back to bed for a bit.

The phone alarm kicks off at 7:20 AM. I get up, take a shower, head to work.
Sit down, link up my phone to the USB adapter connected to my laptop, and sync all my calendar information in Lotus Notes. Meanwhile I check my personal Gmail email, fire up the radio and listen to my morning radio show via headphones.

For fun, I connect my phone into work on the VPN again and open up VNC viewer to connect to my primary LDAP machine which runs on Linux, and I have KDE running on it. So I login to it with VNC Viewer on my phone and play around just because I can and show some friends at work.

Everyone, including the iphone people, are amazed.

I check my phone and see I have a brief meeting at 8:30 AM due to the beauty of the calendar entry being copied over from Lotus Notes to my phone.

My wife sends me a Google Talk IM to tell me good morning as she is off today.

This phone is UN-BELIEVABLE.

Iphone, eat your heart out.
Back to the OP here, I am SO glad you chronicled all of this. This is EXACTLY why I bought one of these - I am a network manager of a major web company, and I have the need to do this kind of thing all the time.

Tell me, whats your VPN - traditional IPSEC or SSL? I admin a Juniper SSL based one today and I am curious if you can hook up to one with the N900.

Cheers

J

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny