Active Topics

Why is the Facebook widget so rubbish? Doesn't show the full text of the status updates. Leaves you to guess in the remaining words.

I made a separate thread, but then I saw this one on first impressions so I'll move mine here...

I got my n900 yesterday and was surprised that it wasn't as chunky as I imagined it would be. The hardware felt nice and solid, no complaints there. They keyboard took some getting used to, but I love the way it feels in my hand, and the three rows really do make it easier to be interactive with the touch screen.

As far as the software goes, the multi-tasking is excellent. It seems fairly intuitive, but it does have a learning curve. There are several things that I dislike, and that I hope will soon be fixed

- Make the backspace key a universal back button. It will take you one space back from wherever you are, or take you back to the home screen. The backspace key is perfectly located for this, and would make it function just like the Motorola Droid.

- Make the shift key bring up the multi-task menu. As far as I know, the shift key doesn't do anything outside of a text entry field, so why not let the shift key also multi task when not on a text field? A long press could bring you to the home screen.

-Move the menu to the lower left corner. Seems like it would be easier to hit when the keyboard is open, which for me at least is most of the time.

-Improve the icon quality, and allow the option for the name of the app to be displayed along side the icon when placed on the desktop.

-Allow the icons to snap to a grid on the desktop

- UI could be more polished, I guess that it a person preference though. Also, some icons need to be rearranged, such as when you press on a contact to call it, why make the icons to select (such as cell, home, sms ect) all the way on the bottom of the screen, and leave the entire upper half blank? Makes them tough to get to in portrait for the cell.

-Portrait mode. Would be really really useful. Every other smartphone has it, why cant the n900?

-Improve phone. Yeah i know phone second, step 4 of 5 bla bla... the bottom line is that most people are going to be sorely dissapointed by the phone aspect.

- Allow the option for the arrow keys to navigate between links on the short press, and scroll on the long press.

-Reduce time to long press on the desktop when selecting icons.

-Could use a more polished notification system.

-The auto screen rotation is wayyy tooo slow. It makes the auto portrait for the phone app almost pointless.

So yeah, the phone isn't perfect, and hopefully these issues can be sorted out, because it has tons of potential. The way it is right now, I don't think I would keep it, but I'm holding out to see if any new firmware updates fix these things. Also, when the device sees more hands some progress may be made.

The Following User Says Thank You to RTbar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Diego, CA, USA
I know its a bit buggy, but I love my N900! I can't wait to start programming something...trying to come up with the time and idea!

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by andy_x_net View Post
WE WANT MORE APPS!!!
Please dear nokia and all the ppl who have the knowhow to do this for us pretty please with sugar on top BE SO KIND AND SEND US SOME SOON

Use the browser.

Its the killer app. Check out the WebGL demos, thats the future. The apps craze has done nothing but set us backwards leading to duplicity of effort and the possibility of microsoft type lock in. The future is in the cloud.

The Following User Says Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
The N900 is my first Nokia device and i've been on it solid for 48hrs almost. First smartphone might i add too, just want to post that as i am not as experienced as most on here it has by no means diminished my pleasure or satisfaction. I admit to being a moaning faced **** due to poor service i received from Nokia while waiting for the device, but i would do it all over again lol.

If there are any other 'average joes' out there reading this, my advice would be don't be scared, jump on board and enjoy the ride.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nitchers For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by RTbar View Post
-Allow the icons to snap to a grid on the desktop
Amen to that!

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
My cons:
-People writing this reviews

If you didnt know what was coming with the phone either you were too lazy to ask the seller or you were living under some rock in mars for the last couple of months...

Brainstorm is the place to suggest stuff so please, if you like n900 do it there.

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by snedley View Post
I took the same pic with my iPhone 3GS and my Nokia N900.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/diaper/4151576856/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/diaper/4151551474/
Seems like iPhone pic is out of focus. No sharp point there.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by RTbar View Post
There are several things that I dislike, and that I hope will soon be fixed
You should really check Brainstorm http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...eas/fremantle/ and/or the bug database https://bugs.maemo.org/

But you had some good ides for improvement.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany / Mainz
Why can't he state his mind on this? Also i think he made some really good points... regarding the shift key for example. And yes it's a geeks device ... and im lovin it

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny