Active Topics

Notices

Pressing "q" should return you to the prompt. Type "help" for a list of built-in commands, then "command --help" for help with the specific command.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Go to the beginning and read Post 6
That doesnt answer my question, and I envy you for being born with the linux expertise and never having had to learn it.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by bret hart View Post
That doesnt answer my question, and I envy you for being born with the linux expertise and never having had to learn it.
I did have to learn it. I had to read books, get the OS and Learn it. Here's how you want to learn it:

It's a generational difference.

p.s. I wouldn't be learning Linux on my phone either.

Last edited by les_garten; 2009-11-28 at 18:26.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Im not trying to learn linux on my phone, im expertimenting with my new device. Its not a generation issue, it's you being elitist towards non linux users. In the time it took you to make a rude response you could instead have added something to the thread. Well done.

The Following User Says Thank You to bret hart For This Useful Post:
Im not trying to learn linux on my phone, im expertimenting with my new device. Its not a generation issue, it's you being elitist towards non linux users. In the time it took you to make a rude response you could instead have added something to the thread. Well done.
You're welcome!

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Actually he isn't rude. He's just trying to tell you that if you aren't prepared to study this yourself by googling for five seconds and then reading for however long it takes, then the Linux (or Unix) terminal isn't for you.

Almost everything you can do there, requires extensive studies. What are runlevels? What is a startup script? What is a device file? Where are the logs? What is piping? How do you edit files with vi? What are kernel modules? What is the kernel? How do you configure the kernel? What kernel modules does VPN require? What is compiling? What are configuration flags? What is a bootloader? And the infamous "what are the basic linux commands"?

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...basic+commands (try the first hit)

The whole linux community revolves around reading howtos, INSTALL and README files. The community feels it is wasted time to start making a list of things that are easier to Google. Most wouldn't event write this much, they would just paste the one search URL or even tell you to Google it yourself, because that is the right answer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
Actually he isn't rude. He's just trying to tell you that if you aren't prepared to study this yourself by googling for five seconds and then reading for however long it takes, then the Linux (or Unix) terminal isn't for you.

Almost everything you can do there, requires extensive studies. What are runlevels? What is a startup script? What is a device file? Where are the logs? What is piping? How do you edit files with vi? What are kernel modules? What is the kernel? How do you configure the kernel? What kernel modules does VPN require? What is compiling? What are configuration flags? What is a bootloader? And the infamous "what are the basic linux commands"?

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...basic+commands (try the first hit)

The whole linux community revolves around reading howtos, INSTALL and README files. The community feels it is wasted time to start making a list of things that are easier to Google. Most wouldn't event write this much, they would just paste the one search URL or even tell you to Google it yourself, because that is the right answer.
Thanx for clarifying Jay!

To the poster, for instance if you had goggled "Linux TOP" you could have read the man page on TOP and figured out hot to exit the app on your own. There's no shortcut to learning 'nix. It's a lot of reading and hard work, there's no way around that.

Hence the term RTFM!

The people on this forum or any other 'nix forum for that matter will bend over backwards for someone if they are willing to expend some effort. Most of us aren't into spoon feeding though.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Ok so i pressed cont+shift+X and up popped this infamous X terminal. I am new to linux so please can someone tell me a list of commands i can enter so i can have some fun with it. I havnt yet enabled root so dont think i can do damage anyway. So far I tried 'top' which gives performance and I need to know how to get back to the prompt.
You can do plenty of damage even without enabling root. But you can always reflash if you screw things up really bad.

Google "bash shell commands" or "bash commands" while you're researching this stuff.

Here are a couple references I like, but they are not for absolute beginners.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-3-s...d-line-master/

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/comm...ks-smart-geeks

I read a Wrox book called "Beginning Linux Programming" that had some good stuff on using the command line.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains

I would like to see this community implement something like the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=191

There is no benefit to making newcomers feel they are being treated rudely. We can argue all we want that we were not being rude, but if it comes across as rude or elitist, then maybe we have room for improvement. (Of course, the newcomers need to follow the code of conduct too, so it cuts both ways.)

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:

Tags
gateway to awesomeness, if you have to ask, it's not for you, orange nuts