Active Topics

Ok, just registered and my first post on this site - too bad it's this thread, but I wanted to say I had the bad luck to get a bad phone too.

Bought mine from the flagship Nokia store in Moscow, Russia through their internet shop. I'd been waiting for ages, excited for the first time in a long time over a phone, since I'm a huge linux fan. Anyway, I played with mine a long time without charging first, then later partially charged. I didn't notice the problem right away because I was busy checking out all the apps and browser. It was only when I tried to video my kids that I noticed there wasn't any sound. Then, a sickening realization that it was the microphone was confirmed when I tried to call my wife and she couldn't hear me. That's when I found this site.

It really does suck, especially after all the excitement and wait. I took it back to the flagship store to either exchange it or get a refund, and was told it has to be sent to the service center for up to 20 days to check it and make sure it wasn't I that screwed it up. Very surprising because in most electronic stores in Moscow you can exchange or get a refund for any reason and it is checked right in the store itself in less than 5 minutes! I would never have expected policy from Nokia.

The whole thing has soured my enthusiasm and now I'm just waiting to get my money back and maybe buy an android device or god forbid an iphone - oh screw it, I'll probably just live with my old phone and save my money. By the way, the N900 is super expensive here compared to the states - almost $1000. Sorry for the negativity, but I just feel ripped off. Just to make matter worse, it took me forever to get rid of my personal data because there's no way to hard reset the phone and erase personal data. You can reset the device to factory settings, but it doesn't erase any user created content

The Following User Says Thank You to flupwatson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
OK guys/gals.

just collected my phone about 20 mins ago.

Its with trembling hands that I opened the box.
and yes, I didnt bother to charge my phone, switched it on right away ;-)

step 1: opened the phone application
step 2 : called my other phone

To my horror I realized my mic wasnt working !!!!

step 3 : switched off my phone and restarted.
step 4 : this time I made a call from my other phone to my N900.
step 5 : The mic seems to be working now.

I dont know why , but this is what happened.
Thought Id share this with you in case it works. I see no logic except that i made a call to the N900 and it started working.

Im going to do some more detailed tests abt other features. will post later.
bye for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
The thing is thet have ARE MONEY NOW so they dont give a toss there joke/helpline is a mess.

Originally Posted by nuknuk View Post
The thing is thet have ARE MONEY NOW so they dont give a toss there joke/helpline is a mess.
Dispute with your credit card company.
Telling them about the joke line and Nokia unwillingness to fix the problem.

You might even get full money back by doing a chargeback.
As it's under section 75, anything from £100 - £30 grand you're fully covered in case anything goes wrong.

When should I use it?

A. This piece of legalese is fantastic protection, particularly during these credit crunch times. It means if you order something and if the retailer goes kaput, you can still claim your money back from the card company.

Plus even if the problem is just non-delivery or faulty goods, you have exactly the same rights from the credit card company as from the retailer or flight company or supplier.

Some typical examples….

* You order a vase from a store overseas that never arrives
* You buy flight tickets direct from an airline that goes bust
* You buy a radio from a shop take it home and it’s faulty

In all of these your card lender is jointly liable for a refund.

Therefore if you’re buying something or ordering tickets or flights worth over £100, pay for some or all of it on the card to ensure you’re protected. Though do keep your receipts as well as the credit card statement to make it easier.

It's worth remembering that sometimes you might not be able to protect yourself, for example if you pay a monthly fee of under £100 to a company that goes into administration. Yet the maximum loss should be £100 and a bit of inconvenience, which in the wider state of the economy at the moment is not such as bad loss. Always check the options below in case though.
Your credit card will try and resolve the issue with Nokia, you don't have to do anything.
If they can't resolve it, credit card company will give you the full amount back.

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-11-27 at 19:58.

I have the same issue with my N900. I'm taking it to a Nokia Care Centre tomorrow.

One other thing I have noticed is that my auto focus does not work on the camera, is this linked to the mic issue somehow. What about yours with the not working mic, do you also have issues with the autofocus?

Auto focus was me being an idiot and not using the half way position on the button allowing it to focus!!

Last edited by BEmerson; 2009-11-27 at 22:02.

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
I'm just trying pin point the issue and this seems like the cause from what people been reporting (all I've talked to with defected mic had charged up before turning on for the first time)
Thanks for being thoughtful but I am afraid that some people will be confused by your suggestion even more, e.g. they believe your suggestion is the *soultion* to avoid the mic issue, and they did exactly that and found the phone still failed. Normal people would just get even more annoyed (they have every right to do so..)

I am not saying you shouldn't suggest some solutions, I really appreciate the contribution people like you made to this place. But when yours is a guess derived from (not-enough) statistics, it would probably be better if you say it in a less assertive way. Just my few cents, don't take it personally because I would be annoyed if I have to go through the hassle of returning the phone. I don't mind the wait, though.

To me I'd say it seems more like low-level software issue or simple hardware issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Dont drain the battery the entire way - that seems to lead to a possible problem with being unable to charge.
Lol according your theories it's wrong both ways. >_>
Just face it, some devices are faulty, some aren't.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
step 1: opened the phone application
step 2 : called my other phone

To my horror I realized my mic wasnt working !!!!

step 3 : switched off my phone and restarted.
step 4 : this time I made a call from my other phone to my N900.
step 5 : The mic seems to be working now.
That's very interesting.

How long was it powered off for? A few seconds, or longer?

Did you do anything else between restarting the phone and receiving the incoming call?

What do other people with faulty mic get from powering off the phone and restarting it? Two questions:

a: After power off, leave it for a minute, power on,
does the mic work? Try this 5-10 times, in case it's an
intermittent boot time issue with initialising the mic device.

b: After power off, leave it for a minute, power on,
then accept an incoming call from another phone
(without doing anything else since the restart),
does the mic work?

The reason for asking is to check if there's an intermittent driver issue with initialising the mic device.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
krk969 can I ask whether the mic issue is now completely solved (on outgoing calls and vid recording ) or only on incoming calls? I'm no programmer but could there be something about an incoming call that has unfankled tangled code?

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
That's very interesting.

How long was it powered off for? A few seconds, or longer?

Did you do anything else between restarting the phone and receiving the incoming call?

What do other people with faulty mic get from powering off the phone and restarting it? Two questions:

a: After power off, leave it for a minute, power on,
does the mic work? Try this 5-10 times, in case it's an
intermittent boot time issue with initialising the mic device.

b: After power off, leave it for a minute, power on,
then accept an incoming call from another phone
(without doing anything else since the restart),
does the mic work?

The reason for asking is to check if there's an intermittent driver issue with initialising the mic device.

Nope nope and nope. Done nothing for me. Its simple I think. DEAD HARDWARE!

Tags
audio, broken, dead, doa, fail, failure, lack of quality control, mic, microphone, n900, n900 recall, no audio