Active Topics

@BatPenguin

Anyone who spent any time researching this phone would know its step four out of five, and frankly its price point makes it either A) for the enthusiast hacknerd/tweakaholic or B) Some rich douchenozzle who thinks hes getting a status device. (which he isnt, so haha) I live in the U.S. and im pretty well versed in the trials of the N900, people need to just relax, the phone aint broken. Its raw. WE will determine how much better it gets.

Originally Posted by Untouchab1e View Post
You are aware that 95% of all these "video reviews" are based on pre-release software and for all we know, even hardware? I think this video explains it well..
I am talking about the retail version based videos. and that video shows the same problem with scrolling and checker board within the browser.

I might add its not a problem which would bother me, I personally read content when looking at a website, dont play how quick can I scroll games lol.

However the user experience is not as smooth as an Iphone and I believe this is point that has been made by other posters.

I do understand comments on this "not being a phone" and only "step 4 out of 5",

However this is a product which is being sold by nokia, therefore it needs to work properly with the features it promises. It is nuts to suggest that nokia charges for a phone to use us as the test bed before the "proper one". It should be a usable product in its own right.

Cheers,

MB

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Yesterday evening at DFW meetup had my first chance to try N900...

I'm very interested in how "smooth" the dispay works and tried to look into that. I did make some observations, that do backup the folks here that claim it being "not so smooth". However, this seem to depend on the application.

In general the screen refresh rate appear (to my eyes) relatively low, between 10-20fps in 2D applications (such as web browser, picture viewer...) and there definitely is no V-sync. This I can see (as well as Texrat was witnessing) as tearing when doing horizontal scrolling while viewing pictures.

Then, I tried some 3D games... and those looked beautiful! There was Bounce that played very smoothly and no sign of jerkiness or tearing. It appear that in 3D mode the screen refresh rate is much higher, and also the V-sync appear enabled.

Please, remember these are my personal observations. YMMV...

Will I get one? Don't know yet... I think I'll wait a bit to the prices go go down a bit. I'd also like to try the camera and camcorder in normal daylight to see if they are good enough taking shots and videos.
Hence my issues with this phone. The software is simply not there yet and they should do a much better job, especially when they expext 600 for it. What makes them think they can release a phone and not worry about the user experience at all? Take a look at the history page scroll in the browser. It doesn't do more than 2-3 fps max. I mean the same thing was butter smooth on the n95 with much worse hardware.

If you play bounce...that game is beautiful. It has much better graphics than anything else I've seen on a phone. So how come the OS has such a hard time scrolling a page\picture\you name it? This needs to be fixed yesterday. I am tired of owning nice nokia phones that are all crippled in one way or another.

Maemo is not an enthusiast OS anymore, it's Nokia's chance to play with the big boys. Sorry but Symbian has been dead for a while and I seriously doubt it will be going anywhere in the future. Use this phone or an iPhone for a month and then go back to a Symbian phone. You will feel like you're using a dumbphone, not a supposed smartphone.

So why all the nit-picking with the N900? Because this phone has the potential to be an iphone killer and I want to see it succeed. However, it will not happen if everyone is finding excuses left and right for a company that's been sleeping at the wheel for years now. They're finally starting to wake up...hopefully. As consumers we set the standards so stop being thankful for this phone and kissing maemo butt or you'll end up with a N920 in 5 months with more crappy software.

-written on my n900 at the supermarket

The Following User Says Thank You to Megacrazy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
Hence my issues with this phone. The software is simply not there yet and they should do a much better job, especially when they expext 600 for it. What makes them think they can release a phone and not worry about the user experience at all? Take a look at the history page scroll in the browser. It doesn't do more than 2-3 fps max. I mean the same thing was butter smooth on the n95 with much worse hardware.

If you play bounce...that game is beautiful. It has much better graphics than anything else I've seen on a phone. So how come the OS has such a hard time scrolling a page\picture\you name it? This needs to be fixed yesterday. I am tired of owning nice nokia phones that are all crippled in one way or another.

Maemo is not an enthusiast OS anymore, it's Nokia's chance to play with the big boys. Sorry but Symbian has been dead for a while and I seriously doubt it will be going anywhere in the future. Use this phone or an iPhone for a month and then go back to a Symbian phone. You will feel like you're using a dumbphone, not a supposed smartphone.

So why all the nit-picking with the N900? Because this phone has the potential to be an iphone killer and I want to see it succeed. However, it will not happen if everyone is finding excuses left and right for a company that's been sleeping at the wheel for years now. They're finally starting to wake up...hopefully. As consumers we set the standards so stop being thankful for this phone and kissing maemo butt or you'll end up with a N920 in 5 months with more crappy software.

-written on my n900 at the supermarket
Regarding "the nitpicking", I would like to know your thoughts on this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=394324&postcount=4
What is the best way to see Maemo succeed? (Maybe post reply over in that thread?)

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post

Could not agree with this more. If we want Nokia to succeed we need to stop with all the excuses. If we want Nokia to provide us with quality devices then we need to stop with all the excuses. If Nokia had been staying ahead of the pack then we could maybe continue to make excuses for the company. But these are not the days of the N95. Things have moved on alot since then and Nokia has not really done so. And after the shocker that was the N97 the company has run out of excuses.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
I can appreciate Megacrazy's point of view. We need to push Nokia to do even better. That is true.

But often it is good to understand both sides of an equation. It is good to know where and why N900 is coming from.

Now we can start pushing them for improvements, though. This potential needs to be used to the max!

But gotta say, just love the phone... browser is really nice... Bounce has such nice graphics.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Could not agree with this more. If we want Nokia to succeed we need to stop with all the excuses. If we want Nokia to provide us with quality devices then we need to stop with all the excuses.
There is another way. Focusing only on Nokia bashing doesn't make Maemo stronger. Building the community makes things better.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
the whole purpose of the title was to bash it..

ask megacrazy why he disabled the "comments" possibility on his youtube video...its far too obvious what is going on here.

the n900 definitely has some issues and thats why i will wait till the beginning of next year till a new wave is dispatched with firmware issues fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Raubtier For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
I would just like to remind everyone that 99% of all phones are rubbish in most respects. Possibly 100%, but I'll give the benefit of doubt

Ever bought or played with a phone where everything works just right?

Or even one where you didn't find annoying design flaws in the first day of using it?

Or even one that has never crashed on you while using it?

Personally I've never found a phone that doesn't have all of the above faults.

N900 buyers are likely to have high expectations. It's expensive, it's shiny, it's marketed (if you call obscure viral marketing with no posters in any phone shops marketing ) as a super all round device that makes you go Wow! Certainly the videos have lots of people saying wow a lot and how cool and new it is.

Yes, Joe Public will find aspects of the phone disappointing or annoying, and sometimes dealbreakers, but don't forget they will be comparing with other phones they have used before, and other phones which are in the market now that they try out.

None of the current crop of expensive smartphones are all that brilliant really. They all have annoying and disappointing issues.

So look at the whole package, and decide which set of highs and lows you can live with.

When choosing a phone I always recommend imagining how you'll feel after a month with each device, when the annoyances and disappointments don't both you so much, and you've seen more of how the device helps you do what you want, and perhaps do some new things. The first few weeks are always a different experience, where every little annoyance stands out a mile, and the potential hasn't been discovered. Try to imagine how you'll feel when you're used to getting the best out of it, working around the foibles, and - in the case of Maemo and it's direct competitors - installing alternative apps.

Which device actually lets you get done what you want to do? Which will you enjoy using, when you're had a month to get used to, and gotten over the disappointments because it's only a computer-phone, not your fantasy device.

All phones suck. Don't believe any hype

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
None of the current crop of expensive smartphones are all that brilliant really. They all have annoying and disappointing issues.
I agree with that.

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever