Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Without looking too much at it, there's a worry that ChromeOS depends on GL and uses GL extensively (see clutter usage). This may not work that well on GLES devices.

That said, a N900 is fully multiboot-able and drivers are probably not such a bad issue if you play by certain rules..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Why dont you simply creat a Chorme OS THEME???

Why are asking people such questions, ... Its like, " Can I transfer my XBOX firmware to the PlayStation 3? "

**** NO!

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Chrome OS on the N900 shouldn't be an issue if a lot of work was put into it, but honestly why would you want to? The N900's 32gbs would become unusable since Chrome doesn't use the main storage and you can't do USB-OTG with this so you;d have no storage other then on Google's servers. For the expense, it seems a waste.

That said however, with the N810 being a little obsolete at this point, and only having 2GBs of storage anyways, it seems like a fun platform to run Chrome on. The microSD card every stores their **** on anyways should still be accessible assuming the correct drivers are written for it. You also don't have to worry about cellie drivers, or accelerometer drivers, etc.

So anyone want to try getting it running on the N810? :P

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
The problem with running Chrome on anything other than netbooks designed for Chrome is the lack of drivers. Google has specifically said they don't intend to develop drivers for anything beyond the Chrome netbooks they are working with manufacturers on. Although, as has been pointed out, the source code is open and you can certainly develop your own drivers.

It might be a fun project. As a project, I might agree with Apoc and try it on the N810. Chrome's browser based paradigm would seem to be a bit problematic for a phone but in many ways it would seem to fit better on a tablet than the existing Diablo paradigm.

BTW, I find it amusing that the Maemo fanboys seem to be taking the attitude that "we believe in open source but only our open source."

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Tis why I'm not a Maemo fan boy.. I'm an open source fan boy

I'd quite enjoy the iphone if it were open source (though I still wouldn't use it due to a lack of a physical keyboard.)

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by cgelici View Post
I am not sure it looks pretty intresting to me. If there are no problems with hardware/software of course

Q: What device can u use as a phone, as a mini portable linux desktop and fits in your pocket.
A: ? (my dream?)
Umm. The N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
It would probably be easier (and a lot smarter) to just make a psuedo-ChromeOS, something that boots a Nokia / Nokia-esque kernel and initrd and then just starts X and a web browser (maybe Chromium will start to build for ARM soon, or maybe Tear/some Firefox varient/pick your browser of the day), as opposed to trying to shoehorn all the Google cruft in.

ChromeOS's main unique "features," such as encrypted loopback user data storage and trusted boot are not very feasible on a tablet anyway (and I'd argue not very useful in general, but someone thought ChromeOS was smart...) . Trusted boot isn't even in the ChromeOS developer tree yet, since it'll require custom hardware and firmware - basically a lot of what ChromiumOS is right now is Ubuntu 9.10 with GNOME taken out, replaced by a little Clutter-based WM and login screen and an encrypted home directory.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bri3d For This Useful Post:
Also, will ChromeOS be touchscreen friendly? Maybe so, b/c I hope that touchscreen/convertible netbooks will become increasingly common, but I doubt that will be their first target.

Also, will Google Gears (or equivalent functionality) be open-sourced? I'd love to have *that* on Maemo (as has been discussed often before on this forum). The Chrome (or Chromium?) browser -- maybe.

Originally Posted by cgelici View Post
I just read a news article saying that Google has just published some source code of Chrome OS.
Also, I noticed that you said "some" not "all", which raises some questions...

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Also, will Google Gears (or equivalent functionality) be open-sourced?
Gears is open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post: