Originally Posted by un-named_user View Post
I don't seem to understand why there seems to be a tinge of fanboy-ism in some of the replies. Megacrazy has raised very valid points, about how a normal consumer will feel about the device. And people who think that a 10 15 minute fiddle with the device is enough to tell all about it aren't entirely correct.

Yes I love the phone, but it feels very beta-ish after you use it extensively. Yes I know, that it is the culture we live in. Sell now debug later.

The iPhone does have a very very polished albeit limited UI. But just beacuse maemo5 is more advanced that doesn't give Nokia an excuse not to have gotten it right. (Not comparing functionalities)

I've used the phone now for 4 days now and I'l list out some of the problems I encountered

Browser
1. Crashes every 15 minutes or so, I guess because I switch back and forth every min between windows. Bad nokia
2. History is a painfully slow method to go back a page. Nokia needs to provide forward and back buttons in the UI
3. History, open in new window, the menu(tap and hold) stop working randomly.
4. Lots and lots of checkered patterns while scrolling and esp after you start scrolling after zooming in.
5. I have a habit of opening a new window and going back to the previous page instantly(via the task switcher). All that happens is a 2-10 second delay before the page responds/scrolls again.
6. Some of the new window(in point 5) doesn't load completely when I do come back to it and have to wait 3-10 seconds again for it to load. This is a bad when the phone is billed as mutitasking
7. Links click(finger and stylus) but the browser doesn't seem to respond once in a while.
8. I like the volume control to zoom in and out, but then I have no means to control the volume easily when playing a flash video. try youtube and just see how microscopic the volume links are.
9. Drop down lists are very laggy while scrolling.
10. The address bar gives suggestions whenever it pleases. A reboot later it seems to remember all the website I have visited before
11. Once in a while if I click the address bar and start typing away the contact search opens up

Music Player
1. Stutters often while browsing the web side by side.
2. Scrolling just feels laggy at times. Nokia really needs to pick up the slack here and everywhere else kinetic scrolling is implemented

General
1. The pdf reader really needs kinetic scrolling.
2. I don't know if its relevant in every country or not. But the contacts application gives me an option to send a text msg to landlines. I atleast want an option to turn it off.
3. To swipe the screens the finger has to be moved a lot before the screens move.
4. The phone tells me to remove the charger as the battery is full after I have done so
5. The rotation sensor for the phone app is flaky, from standby I've literally had to shake the phone while holding it to get it to start. But once it starts it switches orientation perfectly as needed.

Weird Bugs
1. I downloaded a couple of pics from the internet, saved them in the gallery. then later deleted them from the gallery. But I was left with some pictures(with black thumbnails). If I tried to delete these the phone said they didn't exist or something and didn't do anything. I downloaded the pics again and deleted the pics. it worked then
2. The conversation app is showing 2 entries from my call logs and I still cant delete them

Hardware thoughts
1. There has to be ctrl, shift, and the symbol key on the other side of the keyboard. Its a pain trying to do lets say ctrl+a.
2. The build quality is fine. But I've been a E-series user for a long time and this seems like a step down.
3. The screen could have been brighter
4. Single touch makes it a pain to type fast on the on-screen keyboard. I wish it was resistive multi touch. I dont like capacitive
5. Battery is just about adequate. Nokia should have put the 1500mAH battery.
6. A lil hardware(send & end) buttons would be nice. Just makes it easier to use the phone.

I still love the phone, I do. The promises it holds, the browser's capabilities(not the stability as of yet), the community behind it. and I hope most of the bugs would be resolved as soon as possible in the coming updates.

No point I suppose in discussing the third party apps, and the things the phone can't do, like lack of mms which I really do need sadly cause I still knowingly bought the phone

PS: this is my first post on the forum, been following it for a month or two now. But was too lazy to register . So a hi to all.

btw could somebody guide me how to get rid of the damn conversation entries without formatting the phone???

and NO I wont sell my phone
Best objective post I have ever seen about the N900's flaws.

If you haven't Thanked this guy, do so. We need more posts like this, for those of us who are still on the fence.

Calling it garbage -- stupid and helps no one. Taking the time to actually explain the issues, very helpful.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to johnnyrockets911 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
Here we go some real life scrolling in the browser, flash off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8JeLKKfDDM

If you want a comparative iPhone vid I can do that too but I think it's pretty much self explanatory. I might cover the actual OS later.

As far as the unit being defective...come on...seriously.
Wow, are you serious?

Who the hell zooms in and scrolls that fast?

The only garbage in here is your original post.

I'm watching the video the entire time thinking "Wow, that looks amazing."

I'm coming from a G1 where every time I switch browser windows or apps and come back to the page, it reloads. That's right, the *entire* page reloads. Your video is just amazing to me, and I can't believe you're complaining.

Last edited by johnnyrockets911; 2009-11-25 at 05:37.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johnnyrockets911 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
What definition of smartphone is everyone using to make these claims? Some say it isn't because it doesn't support autorotation, but neither did the N73 or 6600. They say because it doesn't have call and end buttons, but neither does the iPhone. They say because it lacks this or that, it isn't. I totally disagree. I don't think all smartphones are portable desktop devices, but all portable desktop devices with calling features are smartphones. They are multitasking computing platforms with cellular telephony capabilities and native application frameworks. Many of the features it lacks that people claim make it not a smartphone postdate the arrival of smartphones. So please get off the gas...
My definition is how applications are designed and centered around. IPhone is a smartphone since its apps and design is around a phone's usage. While a tablet is more PC oriented apps. The tablets and n900 have both PC oriented and smartphone UI apps.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

This might be interesting for everyone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwDn50QjNfM

Its a video answer to Megacrazys complains in the first post..

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Breece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Breece View Post
This might be interesting for everyone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwDn50QjNfM

Its a video answer to Megacrazys complains in the first post..
Everyone reading this thread should watch the video Breece linked to.

Megacrazy, I hope you get your issues resolved. I thought it was cool that you wanted this device enough to bargain for an earlier spot on the waiting list. But what's up with your attitude in this thread? For starters, the title is inflamatory. But then there's this comment:

Anyway, I think I've accomplished what I set out to do with this thread and that was to demonstrate that Nokia has added another unpolished product to their collection..
What's with everyone trying to punish Nokia for past sins??? Maemo is different. It is not just "another unpolished product"! That is an absolutely ignorant statement!

Maemo is new and it is a bold experiment. Why not celebrate the fact that Nokia is the only major phone manufacturer giving us an OS this open (e.g., root access without jumping through any hoops, etc.). Nokia readily states that Maemo is at step 4 of 5. That's not an excuse. It is the reality of turning Linux into something that retains the power of the desktop but runs on a phone-sized device. No one else has managed to do this (including Google), so if we want this bold experiment to succeed, let's acknowledge that it is not a trivial undertaking and let's appreciate what Nokia has done so far.

For me, the worst possible outcome in the world would be for Nokia to be discouraged from future Maemo development due to negative customer feedback. That would suck beyond all belief.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Just to satisfy everyone, the phone has been flashed. The behavior is unchanged. It's just what it is.

It wasn't running any apps when the videos were made.

Anyway, I think I've accomplished what I set out to do with this thread and that was to demonstrate that Nokia has added another unpolished product to their collection. I hope they will learn from their mistakes and continue developing the N900 (which I love) and not jump to another product in 3 months that will be just as unpolished. Apple has shown that it is all about software and sticking with something that works and bringing it to an end.

On the other hand, you guys need to stop generating excuses for Nokia such as "it's version 4 of 5, great effort Maemo team, it will be better with updates etc etc...". Keep in mind that the people who developed this product were paid to work and you and I owe them nothing. On the contrary, they owe us 600$ worth of product that they (IMO) did not fully deliver.

I will be around and follow all the developments of cool apps for the N900 (even if the scrolling sucks) and enjoy the phone for some time to come. Do not kid yourselves though, this product falls short of the iPhone and the Droid (which also just came out) bigtime. It is unfair to average users to sweep problems under the carpet. Admitting a problem is the first step to solving it.
I have no expectations that the N900 will be an Iphone killer. While I don't agree with Apple's nickel and diming of anything that touches Apple (and I despise Itunes), I give them credit for making a very smooth user experience and successfully continuing to produce profit as a company. And I'm sure they'll continue to do well in this respect for some time to come.

As cellphones continue to go the path of the cellputer, which I think the N900 is leading the way in in terms of potential (fewer apps and lesser refined rendering aside), I hope Nokia doesn't fall behind as I've always considered the call quality and cost value of their phones to be among the best. I agree that it is important for them to release solidly performing products out of the box and I hope they figure this out soon if they haven't done so already. Being a Nokia fan, I would love to one day see ads promoting a Nokia superphone that not only kicks *** (much like the Droid adverts) but is actually an accurate representation.

umm i think its a valid point to complain about product launching and the STATE you launch it in. I think the real issue is, Nokia shouldn't have set a release date so soon without fixing everything up, i mean there are problems in here that COMMON SENSE would have made you realize were issues that needed to be patched before releasing it to the public.

Nokia should not have been so aggressive with launching it early, and by delaying it, it made people (at least me) expect a much more polished device rather than one that is STILL unpolished.

I know people hate comparisons with iPhone OS or Android OS, but from what i remember, when these were launched, there were a lot LESS issues. And for god's sake, Apple and Google have never even made phones before! (unlike Nokia). And for people comparing the N900's poor performance to the G1, cmon, the G1 came out 1.5 years ago or so, you cant really compare that.

I do want the N900, and I really hope things get fixed, but you guys have to stop being so blinded and realize that Nokia has done a very poor job of releasing this product. It's like Ferrari hyping a new car model, then delaying it and then when releasing it, having simple things like, the radio not work, the windows not work, and other electrical faults in the car. You dont want more customers over like this. Even if it IS step 4 out of 5, you're using this step to attract more customers, not drive them away.

The Following User Says Thank You to archzai For This Useful Post:
While all the videos are interesting the tests need to be conducted in a similar fashion. Same website, same attempted scrolling speed.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Game Over

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Singapore
Yes, but is that scrolling speed needed by ANYONE at all?

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever