Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
Just for that, they wouldn't pay $500. :P
You only buy a N900 if you know how to use its full potential.
Not all of them, but quite a few just might. Maybe some of the (millions of?) MySpace users look at other sites too. If that's the case, the N900 might be the best mobile thing out there at the moment. If they also use email and phones and IM and Skype and are wealthy enough, they might very well be quite interested. I think far wider audiences than just commandline-guru-server-admin-types will appreciate the N900.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I can show you an entire crew that would love a MySpace app on the N900 or Symbian device. For instance, check out my artist's little brother, T-Real, a local rap artist himself. He's not signed, but through MySpace, he's making real cash, and uses social networks to get his hustle on. He's like most artists on MySpace, using it and Facebook as well as others lilke Twitter, UStream, and even Google Voice!
http://www.myspace.com/trealusa
He's only like 19, and has done a few videos, does multiple shows weekly, and buys gadgets like snack cakes. People aren't aware of how popular MySpace is with the urban minority music artist, or how much we hate Facebook.

And for the record, MySpace isn't millions of people, but HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm still not even remotely sure what a Myspace app should even do (if we ignore the social networking part of it). If we look at Myspace as purely a place for music and look at it from that context... what should a Myspace app do exactly that the web browser doesn't allow us to do already?

Should it upload music? Allow direct playing of your favorite bands bypassing the randomly broken flash player? What are you looking to do with it exactly?

Also, no, I don't think you should be saying that devs shouldn't be coding for what they choose to. It's their time. If you want someone to work on Myspace stuff, either find people that want to do it or get Myspace to hire people to work on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Facebook and twitter will eventually disappear. It’s the kind of hype that has no real purpose. If we try to see with some distance they have something of idiotic. On the opposite myspace has some real interest for many people.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ South Yorkshire
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Myspace is pretty much a dead service at this point.
Speaking as both a musician and a radio host, a) annoyingly most radio stations, record labels, magazines ask you specifically for your MYSPACE page as opposed to your proper WEBSITE address, and b) a huge proportion of bands and artists ONLY have a myspace page which they use as their website because they can't afford a proper one-
So I'd say Myspace is very important to at least one very large sector of people, yes.

Edit- and facebook is an unnecessarily complicated, stupid annoying application ridden load of rubbish. I have to have a band page as well as a normal page and it mashes the whole lot onto my screen so I can't tell what's what. Hopeless unless you're a bored teen imho.

Last edited by ninjaboxergirl; 2009-11-24 at 15:57. Reason: Addendum

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ninjaboxergirl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ninjaboxergirl View Post
Speaking as both a musician and a radio host, a) annoyingly most radio stations, record labels, magazines ask you specifically for your MYSPACE page as opposed to your proper WEBSITE address, and b) a huge proportion of bands and artists ONLY have a myspace page which they use as their website because they can't afford a proper one-
So I'd say Myspace is very important to at least one very large sector of people, yes.
I agree 100%

The Following User Says Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I'm still not even remotely sure what a Myspace app should even do (if we ignore the social networking part of it). If we look at Myspace as purely a place for music and look at it from that context... what should a Myspace app do exactly that the web browser doesn't allow us to do already?

Should it upload music? Allow direct playing of your favorite bands bypassing the randomly broken flash player? What are you looking to do with it exactly?

Also, no, I don't think you should be saying that devs shouldn't be coding for what they choose to. It's their time. If you want someone to work on Myspace stuff, either find people that want to do it or get Myspace to hire people to work on it.
Psst. I already answered that earlier in this thread in part, fleshing out the rest of that really should hit a brainstorm thread - linked to this one hopefully.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Pixelpipe works with tumblr already, at least for photos. I don't know what other data they accept, so not sure on the rest.
The question with that is how long it takes. Tumblr take about 6 hours to publish from twitter and anything up to 3 days to publish from MMS (despite an immediate message receipt). I shall find out later this week, with any luck.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas

I can help here. We need to be able to post our status, Mood and Emoticon, view, approve, and reply to comments, view, approve and reply to send and receive messages, send, receive, and approve friend requests, stream audio playlists called "albums", and view and edit image albums, comment on photos, post bulletings and to blogs.

Also view member profiles and their status, mood, and emoticon, comments, friends list, stream their playlists, playlists, and view and comment on their images.

I can conjure up a UI model and get Josh to maybe help do the actual designing. I want to know how much work does this sound like, does it sound feasible, and how can I help?

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
The question with that is how long it takes. Tumblr take about 6 hours to publish from twitter and anything up to 3 days to publish from MMS (despite an immediate message receipt). I shall find out later this week, with any luck.
Please do test and tell. Post in a new thread with oodles of data. You may be able to post more than just photos, too. They have tons of support for lots of services, at least they did on Symbian.

Myspace is a legacy site.