Active Topics

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I realize you're playing Devil's advocate here, but I'm surprised to read this from you.
I'm not playing devil's advocate; I really would buy the DDP N900 if I could. And at that price, I would use it solely for development (because there's a limit to how often I want to be reflashing my actual day-to-day phone).

I look at it this way: if it costs E250, and has a 20% chance of costing me say E200 for an out-of-warranty repair, that's equivalent to an expected cost of E290 (=250+0.2*200). A bargain, despite the lack of warranty.

Put it another way: if anyone wants to sell me their N900 for E250 with one week's warranty, my PayPal account is ready and waiting.

Regards,
Roger

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Aha thanks, found the "My Orders" link within "My Account"!

My order is also "Authorized" (order placed 9 Nov) but nothing has been debited from my credit card. My order also has a priority of "Critical", presumably this means "quite high"!
I think that all DDP order as 'critical' as this sounds better then 'ignore as long as possible'

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Right, but you used it in the context of drowned and quartered, which was an old sentence-to-death used for traitors and coiners and other enemies of the crown. Now, this _is_ off-topic, and in any case I wouldn't want to go that far with the 'them' we're discussing!
First, the key word was "virtually." The only person talking about actual physical harm to anything or anyone was eiffel.

Second, no, I was referring to hanged, drawn and quartered. No drowning involved. And by drawn I was referring to #3, not #1:

Disembowelled and emasculated and the genitalia and entrails burned before the condemned's eyes
Or did you already know this and you just wanted to see me use the word "hanged?"

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It seems everything related to the N900 is currently a complete mess - online orders are being cancelled, valid discount codes are being cancelled which cannot be used again, not to mention this issue with the DDP.

Talk about alienating your public - discussions are taking place on other forums which are not casting Nokia or the N900 in a good light, to say the least.

I mean it with genuine sincerity when I say that I really feel for the Maemo guys - they're being abjectly let down by Nokia right now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
I would use it solely for development (because there's a limit to how often I want to be reflashing my actual day-to-day phone).
If you're talking about reflashing because of Nokia updates, it could be argued that your fears are unfounded. I'm not sure about Fremantle, but with one of the last Diablo updates, over-the-air fixes could even handle the kernel. A reboot was needed of course, but impressive none the less. Regardless, backup often and always keep a good Fiasco image nearby.

But if you're talking about reflashing because of your development. Just what kind of development are you planning on doing that would need a reflash? Inquiring minds want to know.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
This EUR/USD thing keeps fascinating me. On this side of the pond just the *discount* is roughly $530.
Depends on your meridian, I guess. Over here and at today's rates, the discount comes in at just barely under 600$ :-)

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
DDP was an impulse buy for me... I, like a lot of people were taken by surprise when it was announced that the next device would be smaller and a GSM phone!
The tablet's attraction to me was that I was able to tether it to whatever BT cell phone or provider I used. I also liked the option of leaving it home when taking my smaller phone somewhere was more appropriate. If GSM connectivity was what was gained, the Nokia Booklet 3g would suit my needs better...

...Then came this programs announcement and my eligibility.

As soon as it was made available I ordered.

Since then I have had time to examine this impulsive reaction of mine.

What I have come up with is that I view it as a reward of sorts. I have been a steadfast champion of the forum as a means to communicate Maemo's message (< upper case "M" ). I have used it to post my views and opinions, learned how to report and follow up on the bugs that affected me, and commented on the applications that I found useful.

Not all agreed with me, in fact many actually fervently disagreed with me at times however, my inclusion in the program meant to me at least, that some of my efforts had value...

I will get this device if only for that reason alone... subjective validation.

I value the gesture.
Thank you.

My new desire is to understand and implement a usable Web Run Time for the dang thing. I also hope that what I learn can be useful on the N8**'s, two of which I stare at daily and for the life of me, can not find any fault with. They are begging to be put into service around my home as information kiosks and media client/servers now that I will have something new to play with.

EDIT: Less than an hour after ^ those comments >> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34969

Imagine that!

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-11-24 at 02:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I'm out. I wasn't planning to buy the N900 because

** I really want a minimum 4" screen
** I am happy with what my N800 can do
** I've spent a ton of time tweaking it to make it that way, none of which would easily transfer over to Maemo 5
** etc.

but the DDP program tempted me, and I was close to buying one. (Part of the motivation was just the pleasure of participating in this forum and the development of the platform.) (And, of course, all that tweaking was often fun.)

However, the lack of warranty just kills it for me.

** It makes it just not worth the money
** It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

So I'm not getting one.

Frankly, if the forum and the software development continue to be as Maemo 5/N900-centric as it has become, as a mere N800-owner, I likely won't be around much anymore.

As I PM'd to bunanson a while ago, I'm tempted to start a new thread:

"Old Members Say Goodbye!"
Please send me a pm if you do, and I'll stop by to do just that.

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
DDP was an impulse buy for me... I, like a lot of people were taken by surprise when it was announced that the next device would be smaller and a GSM phone!
The tablet's attraction to me was that I was able to tether it to whatever BT cell phone or provider I used. I also liked the option of leaving it home when taking my smaller phone somewhere was more appropriate. If GSM connectivity was what was gained, the Nokia Booklet 3g would suit my needs better...

...Then came this programs announcement and my eligibility.

As soon as it was made available I ordered.

Since then I have had time to examine this impulsive reaction of mine.

What I have come up with is that I view it as a reward of sorts. I have been a steadfast champion of the forum as a means to communicate Maemo's message (< upper case "M" ). I have used it to post my views and opinions, learned how to report and follow up on the bugs that affected me, and commented on the applications that I found useful.

Not all agreed with me, in fact many actually fervently disagreed with me at times however, my inclusion in the program meant to me at least, that some of my efforts had value...

I will get this device if only for that reason alone... subjective validation.

I value the gesture.
Thank you.

My new desire is to understand and implement a usable Web Run Time for the dang thing. I also hope that what I learn can be useful on the N8**'s, two of which I stare at daily and for the life of me, can not find any fault with. They are begging to be put into service around my home as information kiosks and media client/servers now that I will have something new to play with.
I nominate this post for best-ever use of Smilies!

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Thanks sachin007 (nice, we've got out own 007 to investigate for us )

What's this "please advise Vamsi on the expected shipment of the device and on the warranty matter, thanks." ?
Sorry i forgot to mention that this email from ForumNokiaPro@nokia.com. They cc'd to the DDP program and vamsi is my name!

I hope the DDP team was atleast as responsive as the ForumNokiaPro.

The waiting continues!