Active Topics

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Werenīt you talking about FOSS programmers being the equivalent of volunteers earlier in this thread? Some volunteers are obsessed with what they volunteers and are better than many professionals in the trade, but instead lack the time to do the volunteering. Iīm better as a mechanic than some of the oneīs Iīve taken my old Volvoīs to, but that still doesnīt mean I want to open up a Reparation and Restoration shop on the side, I just canīt do it proper justice as something else takes priority.

With FOSS I am just as screwed, as with commercial apps, if the original programmer stops developing it, no one else picks it up and I either donīt have the time or canīt program. Am I any better off with the amateur in that case than the commercial programmer?
Not all FOSS developers are volunteers or hobbyists. And if a person stops FOSS development your in alot better shape then if a person stopped commercial development (unless they decide to open source the code then and in that case it'd just be FOSS). With FOSS you at least have some chance of someone picking it up if you can't do it. Or if you wanted to, you could pay someone to work on it (slowly depending on how much you pay them). With commercial, if the source code isn't released your just dead in the water.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
MountainX,
+1.

I call shenanigans on the 4s wait time between someone calling you and the N900 alerting you.

Edit:

MountainX -- Seconded (or, rather, thirded...)

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by jutl View Post
FOSS is often misperceived to be centred around amateur programmers. The reality is that - just like closed source software - some is developed by amateurs and some by professionals. The idea that FOSS is not something engaged in by the 'big boys' is increasingly quaint, and doesn't survive any serious investigation of the current software market.
Oh, and I really rather have two good programmers doing something in their sparetime as two mediocre programmers doing something full time.

Well yes, that also is true the other way round, but in the free software case someone (if not me) can see if the code is worth it

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Hahahaha LOL who added that tag?

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Timeout!

This thread has officially been jacked. Could use a namechange.

Ok, continue.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

But I donīt see FOSS amateurs or hardware vendor people being better suited.
...but, crucially, availability of source code means that there is an alternative to banging your head against the support brick-wall. It also allows an additional level of due diligence in checking software functionality and design at the acquisition stage, which in turn ought to make it clear how possible in-house fixes will be to undertake.

This discussion is also leaving out one of the main reasons that large software and hardware vendors are becoming so keen on FOSS. With software complexity on the increase, it no longer makes sense to engineer solutions from the ground up. Even in competitive spheres like the mobile device/OS market, a certain level of commoditization benefits all. Then device manufacturers can pour more of their R&D money into 'differentiating technology' - ie sexy interfaces and novel use cases, the stuff that actually sells phones. I was at the FOSS in Mobile conference in Amsterdam back in September and Ari Jaaksi was calling for greater harmonization of the various mobile Linuxes - not for reasons of brotherly love but because the duplication of effort going on is just pure waste. LiMo and Android and Maemo will all compete better with OSX Mobile if share more low level components.

I see Iīve hit a sore spot.

Much of the OSS seems centered around amateur programmers, people that are not paid for creating applications but paid for perhaps at best paid for something else such as creating hardware, and that hardware just happens to need some firmware. Many of them are programmers during evenings and weekends, and sometimes that canīt compete with the open.

Well Apple does not depend on Quicktime for its livelyhood does it? I donīt remember being charged for downloading and installing it. How much of Appleīs revenue is generated by Quicktime?

Freedom ok. Well thereīs also freedom in being able to install useful commercial apps, as long as I can choose which one I install, right?

If the company is just making software to dump on the hardware, which is their primary business, then obviously making software is not priority number 1. In business most people can only count up to priority 1 so you can guess which side is going to suffer. The software side.

I can get paid support from multiple companies for a lot of commercial software, in case of enterprise systems. In smaller software Iīve often emailed the codeīs programmers themselves with suggestions, some which make it into the release and some which donīt. But they then rely on the software for their paycheck and hence are more prone to listen to suggestions.

Werenīt you talking about FOSS programmers being the equivalent of volunteers earlier in this thread? Some volunteers are obsessed with what they volunteers and are better than many professionals in the trade, but instead lack the time to do the volunteering. Iīm better as a mechanic than some of the oneīs Iīve taken my old Volvoīs to, but that still doesnīt mean I want to open up a Reparation and Restoration shop on the side, I just canīt do it proper justice as something else takes priority.

With FOSS I am just as screwed, as with commercial apps, if the original programmer stops developing it, no one else picks it up and I either donīt have the time or canīt program. Am I any better off with the amateur in that case than the commercial programmer?

Hey i hear you. You can't code if you can't eat.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
Just now I received a call. When I looked at the phone it was a blank screen. It glitched and it took about 5 seconds to show the actual answer button. Do you think people want to deal with this kind of thing?

You have grand visions of FOSS changing the world and freeing us of our dependence on money grubbing corporations and proprietary software. I respect that, but seriously you couldn't get people to care unless and until you package it right.

You linux chest thumpers will never understand that. Has even one Linux desktop distribution taken greater than 3% marketshare? Analyze the situation and learn from it if you want FOSS to succeed in the mobile space. Instead of criticizing the user's perspective, understand it. That is the only way you can pull off what you want to pull off.

Start with getting rid of the BS elitist attitude. That would be step one.
OMFG so terrible! You actually had to put up with a small malfunction. OMFG you are so special and no device should ever disobey you cuz you are so special.
NEXT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Why is anyone listening to this negative guy? Get him and his long-winded criticisms out of the picture he is a complete waste of time.

Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
OMFG so terrible! You actually had to put up with a small malfunction. OMFG you are so special and no device should ever disobey you cuz you are so special.
NEXT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Why is anyone listening to this negative guy? Get him and his long-winded criticisms out of the picture he is a complete waste of time.
If you're relying on the n900 as your 'primary' phone where you don't want to miss any calls.. then a 5 second delay to see the 'answer' button is a HUGE Fricken DEAL!

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny