Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I still don't get why/how this wasn't resolved before actually shipping the device.
It was resolved to do it exactly the way they are doing it wasn't it?

Originally Posted by code177 View Post
This applies to all N900 app developers. I can't imagine that a million dollars of general liability insurance is cheap.
Depending on your line of work, it may well be cheap. Not so much if you're a tree trimmer or you hang steel girders, but for most trades it's not too bad. Call an independent business insurance agent. They can probably get back to you with a quote in under an hour.

It's an absolutely ridiculous requirement, though!

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
I still don't get why/how this wasn't resolved before actually shipping the device.
The same reason lots of other things aren't resolved on it.
(Like 3 USIMs working, Nokia native FM receiver, and portrait mode browsing, for example).

Because if they waited until their Ovi department had everything ready, we'd be complaining even louder at how long it's taking to ship the devices!

Never underestimate just how long it takes to sort out something like Maemo-friendly Ovi, with all it's commercial and legal aspects, and massive cultural differences (i.e. inertia) from non-Maemo-friendly Ovi. Probably most of the people working on Ovi (by which I mean non-techies, mainly), still don't have a clue about open source, and there's just a few people trying to spread the point.

Apple made it look like setting up an app store was easy, but they were planning it for years in advance. You just didn't see it happen out in the open.

Whereas the N900, Maemo 5 open source thing gives a great impression of being rather a surprise to Nokia as a whole.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
a million dollar insurance policy doesn't cost that much i don't even pay $100 a year for mine

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rapparee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
I'm not sure they have actually shipped a device yet. But in any case, it won't be resolved before they actually do. I hope?

Frank

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm disappointed to see what code177 has discovered, and I'm still in favor of finding a creative solution, but Quim is right: there's only so much we can do here. Ovi is the policy setter, and Forum Nokia is surely a better place to drive policy change. That said, I do think it's useful to collect ideas here (and vent as well ).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm disappointed to see what code177 has discovered, and I'm still in favor of finding a creative solution, but Quim is right: there's only so much we can do here. Ovi is the policy setter, and Forum Nokia is surely a better place to drive policy change. That said, I do think it's useful to collect ideas here (and vent as well ).
You all know there's nobody actually at forum nokia, right? The Publishing to Ovi forum is quieter than most door mice. I've asked plenty of questions over there and nobody has ever replied.

In my experience, at least, talking to Ovi Forum Nokia is more or less the same as talking to a wall.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
You all know there's nobody actually at forum nokia, right? The Publishing to Ovi forum is quieter than most door mice. I've asked plenty of questions over there and nobody has ever replied.

In my experience, at least, talking to Ovi Forum Nokia is more or less the same as talking to a wall.
Well... yeah. There is that.

I forgot to insert the word "theoretically".

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
The same reason lots of other things aren't resolved on it.
(Like 3 USIMs working, Nokia native FM receiver, and portrait mode browsing, for example).
I fail to see the reason.

Because if they waited until their Ovi department had everything ready, we'd be complaining even louder at how long it's taking to ship the devices!
Not like they didn't know about this step 4 out of 5 years ago.

Never underestimate just how long it takes to sort out something like Maemo-friendly Ovi, with all it's commercial and legal aspects, and massive cultural differences (i.e. inertia) from non-Maemo-friendly Ovi. Probably most of the people working on Ovi (by which I mean non-techies, mainly), still don't have a clue about open source, and there's just a few people trying to spread the point.
Never underestimate how bad this looks to a complete outsider. To have no way for a non-company entity to sell an application without a $1k+ investment before they write one line of code is a bit much.

And if the people in Ovi have no clue as to opensource, then they should have been educated some 3+ years ago with the advent of the 770.

Apple made it look like setting up an app store was easy, but they were planning it for years in advance. You just didn't see it happen out in the open.
I never mentioned Apple... but since you did, I'll bite.

Apple had years, right? So did Nokia. Reminder: step 4 out of 5.

Whereas the N900, Maemo 5 open source thing gives a great impression of being rather a surprise to Nokia as a whole.
Between Ovi and the repositories, it doesn't seem like opensource equates to a place where people may make money as well.

Last edited by gerbick; 2009-11-20 at 03:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Never underestimate how bad this looks to a complete outsider. To have no way for a non-company entity to sell an application without a $1k+ investment before they write one line of code is a bit much.
In my jurisdiction, the total cost is more like $500.

Tags
one billion dollars!