Poll: Is Maemo Greeters a good idea?
Poll Options
Is Maemo Greeters a good idea?

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
I'd be glad to help anyone about anything if I can, but to help actually you need enough knowledge about the subject. What happens when I don't have enough knowledge (as in Maemo/N900 case)? I basically search Google or wikis to generate an answer; but as you know, those answers wouldn't be as reliable as answers generated from first hand experiences.

So to sum up, I like Maemo Greeters idea since I like helping, but I wish I had a device to be more useful as a helper (And as some people know, I probably won't be getting one)
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

The Following User Says Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gecebekcisi View Post
So to sum up, I like Maemo Greeters idea since I like helping, but I wish I had a device to be more useful as a helper (And as some people know, I probably won't be getting one)
Okay, don't take this as any sort of guarantee, but consider: the more you get Thanked for helping in any way, the more you increase your odds of qualifying for a discount in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Originally Posted by gecebekcisi View Post
I'd be glad to help anyone about anything if I can, but to help actually you need enough knowledge about the subject. What happens when I don't have enough knowledge (as in Maemo/N900 case)? I basically search Google or wikis to generate an answer; but as you know, those answers wouldn't be as reliable as answers generated from first hand experiences.

Yeah, I know how you feel, until my n900 arrives, Im a bit in the dark as to the best way to help people. Once I have had it, and tried to install apps, set up mail and generally use it, I will be in a better place to help people..
Still every little helps..

it is going to be a learning experience for all of us I think - can't wait

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following User Says Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Okay, don't take this as any sort of guarantee, but consider: the more you get Thanked for helping in any way, the more you increase your odds of qualifying for a discount in the future.
Well, discounts are not the solution for my current problem (check here) but I'll definitely try to help as much as I can whether I have a device or not, because "benefiting from community" is not my first goal while "being helpful to community" is
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

The Following User Says Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Too much the same signature is boring, and the content is too dynamic and overlaps. It is better to have users find their own way conveniently from maemo.org homepage, as suggested elsewhere by dneary.

Another problem is that the names to the links are translated, but the content not. That is not helpful. I'd expect that article to be in the language used to link to it.

As I said there is also overlapping between the various content further puzzling. Really, the wiki is the right place to 1) make a portal and manage information 2) translate well-written English content to your language.

To give some substance...
  • New members say hello <- specific, OK
  • New users start here <- overlaps with Beginners' wiki page and Maemo5 101
  • Community subforum <- Why? Why not N900 or General or Offtopic or...
  • Beginners' wiki page <- overlaps with New users start here and Maemo5 101
  • Maemo5 101 <- overlaps with New users start here and Beginners' wiki page, and article name is not descriptive to content
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) <- specific, OK

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Another problem is that the names to the links are translated, but the content not. That is not helpful. I'd expect that article to be in the language used to link to it.
Baby steps.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Anyone car to comment on this. I see it as part of what the greeters programme is about.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nymajoak View Post
This is a personal reflection, but fwiw I felt a slightly larger responsibility than just spreading the links. I would have liked to be more knowledgeable and able to answer questions. If others feel the same way maybe that is something to consider when constructing guidelines for greeters and the program in general.
I'll admit I felt the same way, I did make an attempt to be more proactive than I would have normally been in answering questions. And I have done so in a few threads.
Since I joined the pilot, I started compiling a very small list of bookmarks (should have had this already :P) so that I may have thread links ready when wanting to help out a newbie, instead of having to search for them each time before replying. (don't ask me for the list it's very small, just adding bookmarks as I visit threads and deem them important basically.)

Because of my signature I assume, I was approached by an Italian newcomer with a PM. He was interested in the N900 and asked some specific questions, specifically about battery life. I explained everything I knew in detail, and he was very appreciative. I told him it wasnt first hand experience, but I plan to follow up with him as soon as my N900 arrives to let him know my findings in regards to battery life.

I do have a fulltime job and a life, so I can't commit too much time to this, but I enjoy doing it when I have the chance.

Just my two cents

Last edited by dantonic; 2009-11-15 at 09:13.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dantonic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm really encouraged by comments like yours, because that assures me there really is value to the program.

I'm not sure to what extent your suggestion should be formalized though... the main thing to consider is that this concept is so basic, so simple that even a brand-new member who knows nothing of Maemo or the devices could edit their signature and immediately start helping others find their way!

However I also want to motivate Greeters to grow into superusers of some sort, as well as offer a higher level of help if they feel so led. So IMO that should be little more than a suggestion on the Greeter page. But we'll see!
RevdKathy posted the following in the "tired of people not using the search"-thread:

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
[...]
So if you see someone posting something basic that's already answered, just ignore it. Hopefully one of the greeters will get there - and be able to respond cheerfully however many times the question has been asked. It's part of what we're here for.
Ir reflects exactly my feelings on what the "job" of a Greeter "should" be. Answering at least simple questions others are "tired" of. As long as the Greeters have the "blessing of the forum" to have this role, they would probably feel more comfortable jumping in where they can. I don't think it matters all that much if they are not superusers from the beginning. There is always questions they are comfortable to answer, and as long as doing so is part of their job description they will become more and more knowledgeable over time.

So my point is that maybe you would get a long way just by putting "be generally helpful" and "answering questions you are comfortable to answer" in the Greeter job description?

EDIT: Just to be clear: the post i quote above is the one RevdKathy links to two posts back, so the gist of my post is that I agree with her.

Last edited by nymajoak; 2009-11-16 at 14:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
A small addendum: If the Greeters get a cooperative effort going they could also over time build and maintain a larger FAQ and tutorial base in the wiki which would make it easier and easier to handle common questions, (almost) regardless of individual knowledge.

The Following User Says Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post: