Notices

Originally Posted by jaysin22 View Post
Anyone have issues with the Knots 2 client stopping the streaming video about every 8 minutes? I can stream internet radio with the built in media player with out dropping but when watching a show in Knots every 8 minutes or so the show stops playing and I have to click play to continue again.
Can you be more specific? Judging from your mediatomb post you are using Linux? Does this happen with music too? Can you test something for me?

Firstly try increasing your mplayer cache. Run this in terminal:

Code:
gconftool-2 -s /apps/knots/cache 1024 -t string
If that doesn't help, try this. Install this client, ssh into your tablet and start knots with knots2. Start playing a video and you should see the stream address in terminal. Press ctrl-c to kill knots2 without stopping the stream. Then run mplayer -cache 1024 "address" to view the stream with MPlayer. Let me know if it stops then too and if it prints out any error messages. Also run the command again to see if the stream is still running and it was just MPlayer that stopped.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Lancaster, CA
I just installed this tonight on my WinXP machine and it's working really well. The video quality is better than orb. And it's nice not having to rely on a 3rd party server to stream stuff from my PC to my N800. Great job!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulm64 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I'm thinking I should take the plunge myself and try to install Knots later tonight.

This sounds too awesome to pass up on.

This sounds ridiculously awesome, I have to test this tonight.

I updated the wiki instructions for Windows so if you had problems getting it to run, please try again with the new instructions.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Well, I wouldn't say that I exactly took the plunge. However, I was able to wade in it's waters a little bit the other day.

Here's a screenshot:

Nobody better be giving me any grief either over trying to watch a little anime. It's the only cartoon series I've ever watched so back off!!! *lol*

Anyway, this is a pretty slick design application packaged with an awesome concept behind it.

Still a lot to understand about what it can do and how to make it function correctly.

For those with an intense computer hard drive filled to the brim with media files, this is something to definitely consider.

As for myself, I've only got one TV series and almost no music on my computer.

Dear lord, I hope this doesn't turn into a new, debilitating addiction.....

I can't really afford another one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
I cant download the server for linux.

Last edited by seef; 2009-11-10 at 20:56.

strange. i have no problems reaching the git server, so it might be something on your side.

Alternatively, you can get the zip'ed up server files from here : http://ugz.ath.cx:1415/knots_nix.zip

@ addison: if you've got a DVB card (or stick) attached to your computer, you can use knots to stream live-tv from VDR (i think knots also supports streaming from mythtv, which is more popular in english speaking countries)

Last edited by mtron; 2009-11-10 at 22:20.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Coincidentally perhaps? I am having touble with the OSX server client. The download appears to be about 4K, but neither of my unzipping tools recognize the zipped file.

Sorry, it seems my SheevaPlug's sdhc card broke down. Please use git to get the server.

Tags
knots, music, streaming, video