Originally Posted by rattis View Post
From the way I understand it (and I could be wrong), you have a base kernel in the device, and a second one or third (not sure how many you can have) on the sd card. Then you tell it which one to boot up. Think more like a choice of kernels when you recompile (you have the old and new you can pick from).
Actually, no. At the moment, you only have 1 kernel(store on flash), but the boot menu is to select which partition you like to start as a rootfs. As I said, "at the moment", I know that there is other who are working on getting the unit to load kernel elsewhere. When you upload custom kernel, it goes into flash as well, you replace the old one, not adding a new one. It's 1 kernel but multiple rootfs choice.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The only time this happened to me, it was due to a flat battery (only enough juice to get a few seconds into the boot sequence before it dies). Try leaving the N800 connected to the charger for a few hours then try booting it again.

Failing that, check one of the many posts that discuss constant reboots. Like this one.

Also check this Bugzilla comment.
Just curious, when my battery ran flat, and it only have juice to take off for a few sec, it goes back to poweroff, not back to reboot.

Just to add to this post about battery issues.

My brand new N800 kept rebooting as soon as I connected it to the power source. I thought it was faulty.

Then I found that the 3 battery pins that make contact with the battery, the middle one is shorter than the others. I cleaned up the contacts a bit on the battery itself and it was enough to get the battery working properly and it now works just fine.

Bottom line is that constant start-up reboots will happen if there is an issue with the battery.

Jonathan

That's a useful addition to the knowledge base. Thanks!