Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Arrancamos View Post
the deep point is that there is no technological issue about enable all bands on a desired celular phone. This practice is nothing new.

so, all is about Nokia political and/or marketing strategy decition.

At least hope they include quad band for WCDMA on n900, in order to enable it thru software in the future.
Regards.
The chipset and antenna still need to be present in the device in the first place for the software to utilise them or all those old phones that used single or dual band would have magically been able to work worldwide too!

Yes it is a hardware basic limitation as to what frequencies are supported. Things are then refined to a subset of that (including all) for certification. Finally the software uses whatever it wants out of whatever is left.

Are we clear now? If someone can pull a certification for the N900 on other frequencies then it might support this debate if not then it's pointless as at very least you would be operating illegally. Nokia usually make a big thing about having lots of bands on their phones; if a frequency is missing it tends to suggest that it simply isn't available to the hardware.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
OK, so you go on the cheap and make your device non functional on the biggest cell Data network in the US? TMO is number 4 in the US, without a deal that move makes no sense to me.
Yep. As of last year:

AT&T 70.2 million
Verizon 65.7 million
Sprint 48.5 million
T-Mobile 28.7 million

Going with just T-mobile is a really bad move if they aren't giving you a deal.

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
OK, so you go on the cheap and make your device non functional on the biggest cell Data network in the US? TMO is number 4 in the US, without a deal that move makes no sense to me.
Really depends on where you live. For example, for where I live and all the states I travel to TMobile pretty much covers the areas I frequent so Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint don't offer much of an advantage. (I switched over from Sprint). And at the rate of TMobile deployment they'll pretty much cover all the areas of the US I'm interested in visiting anyway.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
WTF!
They can set all those bands in one celphone. Yes!

If they didn´t do it atm is cuz they want some mice for test ^^ get over it!

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Really depends on where you live. For example, for where I live and all the states I travel to TMobile pretty much covers the areas I frequent so Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint don't offer much of an advantage. (I switched over from Sprint). And at the rate of TMobile deployment they'll pretty much cover all the areas of the US I'm interested in visiting anyway.
Seriously? The dark tiny dark spots are the only areas of the US you are interested in visited? Wow, that's limited.

http://coverage.t-mobile.com/default.aspx?MapType=Data

I don't have much free time given graduate school and my work with the Federal Government. By the time I'm finished the TMobile 2 year contract would've long been over so I could get another phone and tether it to the n900 if I wanted too by that time. Though there really isn't much in the USA I want to see that I haven't seen already. Chicago, some cities in CA, Las Vegas.

My girlfriend (future fiance ) and I are more interested in Europe (her) and Asia (me) than cities in the USA.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
LoLz
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage...37500002&sci=1
zoom once, and you will see 3G

Originally Posted by Arrancamos View Post
LoLz
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage...37500002&sci=1
zoom once, and you will see 3G
I know right?
And they go and sue verizon for "there is a map for that" ad where it clearly states "5X More 3G" what a bunch of *****s wasting their time and money in lawsuit rather than upgrading their network.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@Arrancamos: Alright. You figured it out. There were no technical, marketing or demographic reasons. We all tried to trick you but you were too smart for us. Nokia specifically crippled the N900 just so you couldn't use it. Also: They've been following you. Know that car that always parks on the corner of your street for hours everyday? Yup. It's Nokia corporate spies out to get you! Run!

-John

PS: Honestly interested to see if you can find any *currently shipping* phone with quad-band WCDMA...

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
guys, that's the solution: attach a Droid to your N900 to get the best of both worlds
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/11/tethering-droid/