Active Topics

Notices

@joppu

I've had that issue myself occasionally. Seems to happen to whatever other players (including mplayer) that I throw the file into. Oh well, at least VLC will play it rather then just show you black space like Totem lol.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

@joppu
How much did Anti-VLC LTD paid you?

if you hate vlc that much then just skip it, no one is forcing you. Also, did you tried to run it few times or you only tried to screw VLC?
It seems you just fast forward it + taken the screenshot without given it any time (To breath)
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
You were asking developers to be modular because of limited resources
I stated several reasons with that being one of them, yes.

but you argue that it's not reasonable for manufacturers to do the same. I consider that a contradiction, and your reasons seem to be just rationalizations.
Yeah, and for reasons I stated your compare is invalid because you compare software with embedded hardware. It is only a contradiction if you refuse to take the different situation into account.

This comment has more to do with planned obsolescence and less to do with modularity. More to my point about contradiction. With your reasoning, wouldn't it be more in a software developer's interest to share fewer libraries with other software?
No, because features are going to be shared with other applications. Other applications need C library, or want to change volume, or want to have EQ, or want to decode MP3, or want to use X11, or want to show a PNG.

They could then force the user, because of limited resources, to have fewer choices, which appears to be your agenda anyway.
My agenda is to have one good, default touch UI multimedia player with legal codecs, using the backends which already exist on our desktop (which means that we for example use GStreamer and not Phonon). Alternative for such interface is installable, but uses same frameworks, hence only difference is UI. Example is interface for stylus, or Ncurses. There are no other multimedia players because there is no demand for them, because everything is already modularized yielding no differences. Hence only a few exist, each with different UI. Its the very essence of open standards and modularity.

I think I'm gonna fork gstreamer to daperlstreamer...
Won't bother me as I won't see it cluttering my system, just like 4000 Linux forks from GIT are not bothering me. But if they were there when I'd search for Linux kernel in my APT repository it'd bother me.

And I really don't want to go back to 90s having QuickTime, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, and such installed so I can play some stupi format only supported by these players... so we provide our codecs via multimedia framework to whatever application supports our API. That there is a different multimedia framework for KDE than for GNOME is not a huge problem.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-11-01 at 17:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by f(x) View Post
@joppu
How much did Anti-VLC LTD paid you?

if you hate vlc that much then just skip it, no one is forcing you. Also, did you tried to run it few times or you only tried to screw VLC?
It seems you just fast forward it + taken the screenshot without given it any time (To breath)
Nah it happens to me too, it's generally a poorly encoded file when you see that. Nothing seems to play it, delete and find it somewhere else.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
@joppu

I've had that issue myself occasionally. Seems to happen to whatever other players (including mplayer) that I throw the file into. Oh well, at least VLC will play it rather then just show you black space like Totem lol.
Well, in this case its MKV. Also notice the double subtitle.

Totem would tell you about a plugin available to download to play the content. A rather nice and useful feature IMO.

I think in latest Ubuntu version you even can buy Fluendo codec packs directly from Ubuntu.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Nah it happens to me too, it's generally a poorly encoded file when you see that. Nothing seems to play it, delete and find it somewhere else.
Anyway, I found that file (I am kinda downloading it) would take more than 12hours to get it done (I Just want to make sure).
By the way, this reminds me that I only get it with .mov format (for obvious reasons).

For now can we all stop fighting about VLC/MPlayer/Others and GUI/None-GUI + QT/GTK.

Edit:
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Last edited by f(x); 2009-11-02 at 03:35.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
What is the point of 9458515155159 media players? Get me one which is good, which provides a good interface. I don't care about the name. VLC is Qt on Linux desktop, hence I don't use it on my GNOME desktop. Totem works great, and uses Gstreamer. Unless VLC has a good UI its just another media player for Maemo. Which is unfortunate.
Unless you're developing for those players you cannot judge their usefulness. It's like claiming that Qt isn't needed because there is GTK. Not all applications are developed the same way and not all applications have the same kind of code. Mplayer for example cannot be easily extended to handle menus because of the way it is programmed, so forget proper DVD playback on Mplayer. VLC on the other hand works great with menus but may be slower than mplayer. As you can see you win something - you lose something.

For some, it is better to (let's say) write another media player just to fix this kind of problems. For others it is better to have more than one players because of their license (OK, both mplayer and vlc are GPLv2+). It is even possible to need more than one players just to handle different development models.

Unless you are able to predict which development model, code organization, community behavior, etc will prevail, you cannot judge. And as long as you're a simple user of those players (just like I am), you may (at-most) use them. If you start writing code for one of them then you can try to unite all of them under a universal player that will be everything, but I doubt that this is possible.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Notice that the file wasn't like that all the time, that's just a really annoying bug that happens randomly and also when you rewind the file. It's probably due to a weak processor (laptop, VIA C7-M, 1600MHz) (also note that the N900 has max. 600MHz clockspeed) and h.264 decoding that takes a lot of CPU time. Surprisingly MPlayer plays the file flawlessly

Originally Posted by v13 View Post
Mplayer for example cannot be easily extended to handle menus because of the way it is programmed, so forget proper DVD playback on Mplayer.
Atleast SMPlayer has proper DVD menus if you enable them in the menu.

Last edited by joppu; 2009-11-01 at 18:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by v13 View Post
Unless you're developing for those players you cannot judge their usefulness.
If only developers are entitled to an opinion about the usefulness of their software then why do developers like it when users provide feedback, find bugs, port software, review software, use their software, donate to project, write translations,

It's like claiming that Qt isn't needed because there is GTK.
That is 2 choices. The only 2 we have on Maemo with one officially supported.

Not all applications are developed the same way and not all applications have the same kind of code. Mplayer for example cannot be easily extended to handle menus because of the way it is programmed, so forget proper DVD playback on Mplayer. VLC on the other hand works great with menus but may be slower than mplayer. As you can see you win something - you lose something.
None of this fixes the root of the problem. Which is what abstraction layers do. They fix problems long-term. On short-term they have to be migrated to though.

For some, it is better to (let's say) write another media player just to fix this kind of problems. For others it is better to have more than one players because of their license (OK, both mplayer and vlc are GPLv2+). It is even possible to need more than one players just to handle different development models.

Unless you are able to predict which development model, code organization, community behavior, etc will prevail, you cannot judge. And as long as you're a simple user of those players (just like I am), you may (at-most) use them. If you start writing code for one of them then you can try to unite all of them under a universal player that will be everything, but I doubt that this is possible.
All niche examples which don't warrant inclusion in APT repository.

It is rather easy to predict what is desired: a touch UI player which plays the multimedia content the user stumbles upon. The rest is pub talk for men with beards who have stories about ASM coding, but are otherwise irrelevant.

For end users its great to have APT repositories with useful applications. Touch UI applications. Instead of 53985092852 which mimic one another, or all kind of CLI applications, or all kind of stylus applications. This problem has different root though.

If you really saw what I did there you wouldn't continue to lecture me about software modularity. But please, don't let me stop you...

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard