I mean for the last few weeks i am a big fan of Nokia N900 anticipating the release and then getting delay and more delay which i don't mind...BUT i am looking at Android specs and they're comparable to N900?? For example, both have

same powerful proccesor like the ARM8 550 or 600Mhz (whatever it is...)

Multi-tasks

Same pretty much resolution screen

Both have keyboards

Browser both support FLASH (i heard Droid will eventually get Flash 10.0?)

Both feature multiple desktops??

Both 5MP cam recorder (they hailed Android can record HD at 24fps, N900 25fps)

Most importantly and this is KILLER Android feature FREE turn by turn Nav w/ google map (this is a SICK FEATURE) and this maybe the reason i am switching!!

So anyway, can someonce convince me that N900 is better?? And Droid is cheaper too!! Only $200 after re-bate.

Last edited by romanianusa; 2009-10-29 at 22:53.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Simple: Android is not open enough

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to robbie For This Useful Post:
Maybe you could start by specifying what you want from a handheld device, then people could comment intelligently about which one is better for your needs.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
No Google = More competition

Easy gFans, I kid. Maemo is much more open than Android, and the fact that you don't have to deal with Google is just a little advantage, out of many others.

For further comparisons, check this out:
http://cool900.blogspot.com/2009/10/...d-android.html

Android also has an unnecessary Java layer on top of the Linux kernel, which leads to inefficiency in the most cases.

And of course, the N900 hardware still is superior to anything else for the moment, and I suspect that it's cheaper as well.

Peace!

sup BRAH! didya get ya iphone up n running brah?! Its like da bomb rite now. C droid be like, lock lock, no no and maemo be like wooo, yeaaa, peace love and happiness.......live long n prosperous brah, totally sick

4real

Last edited by saruji; 2009-10-29 at 18:52.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Android is the OS. So your comparison should be Android vs. Maemo.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Android also has an unnecessary Java layer on top of the Linux kernel, which leads to inefficiency in the most cases.
I've read you don't have to use Java to develop Android apps now. You can get down a bit lower.

Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
And of course, the N900 hardware still is superior to anything else for the moment, and I suspect that it's cheaper as well.
The original poster's point is that N900 hardware is about the same as the best Android devices, not better any more.

Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
Android is the OS. So your comparison should be Android vs. Maemo.
You mean Maemo would be the OS to compare with (instead of the N900's hardware), right?

I've never been terribly impressed with google maps turn-by-turn navigation, at least not with that which I experienced on the iPhone. TomTom still remains my holy grail of nav software on mobile devices.

Google Navigator could pretty quickly change things, though. http://www.berryreview.com/2009/10/2...r-for-android/

Call me when they get Open Office working on Android. Or even release a decent Android smartphone that isn't crippled with capacitive input.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Btw, does anyone know if Maemo + DRM (when that arrives, perhaps not until Maemo 6) will still be more open than Android?