Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by yankeesfan4988 View Post
ok well then maybe i will just update the kernel (link anyone?) but now Karel says he's waiting for the 32gb is this even possible or are you just being sarcastic because if you arnt then hell ill wait for that to and when would they be coming out?
The kewl dudes at Engadget keep claiming 32GB is "just around the corner".

Seriously: I'm pretty much set with 2X4GB right now, so I can probably sit it out for those magical 32GB cards. Hopefully by then the N800 will play videos reasonably well, so that I can ditch my 30GB Archos PMA430.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Well according to Ari Jaaksi's 13 Feb roadmap he states "In a few weeks (I hope) we'll release a new version of the OS2007"

March maybe? April at the outside?
But the SDHC patched were added in january 1, http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/1/1/35
Unhinged posted his kernel on Jan 18, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?p=30439
Even assuming Nokia start working at the time Unhinged posted the kernel, and not before, few weeks aways from Feb 13, still be with in 6 week. So, logically it's possible to for Nokia to release next update w/ SDHC and still be with in the QA timeframe.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The SDHC patches first became available in early January but weren't accepted into the kernel mainline until mid to late January (around 18 Jan, possibly in 2.18.21). Additional patches in early Feb added improved MMC support and may have fixed any SDHC bugs in the original patch (the patch developer didn't even have a N800 until early February!)

Nokia may have taken the view these changes were too cutting edge and decided they weren't worth the risk of delaying the release. Or not.

We won't know for sure until the next firmware release - hopefully SDHC will be baked in, but I won't be surprised if it's not.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-02-22 at 18:47.

for installing the kernal that will work for the 8gb cards do you just click the link and it installs or am i going to have to do it some other way.

Guys, is it possible to install the module on the live kernel using insmod? Is the module (.ko file) available by separate?

This way we wouldn't need to re-flash the kernel awaiting for the new official release from Nokia.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Reflashing the kernel is no big deal - you won't lose any data or applications as you are only replacing the kernel and not the rootfs. It's not possible to insmod SDHC support.