Active Topics

Originally Posted by russ View Post
Thanks very much for the reply and suggestion, but no go for me...still fails completely.

I removed the Canola repository (from a previous failed install attempt using the one click install on the canola web page), then restarted my N800, then tried the one click install again...

Still failed with the same dependency missing error. Even though I have the 2 listed repositories.

I guess Canola won't work for everyone...

Massive shame that...it looks so nice too, it could have been the killer app for the N800...
Well, Marcelo emailed me directly with the solution. This might sound completely simple to all the rest of you, but I was not aware this was required: Marcelo recommended I disabled the other repositories I had installed, the 2 that must have been added when installing apps such as xterm etc, and retry. This worked successfully.

I am now up and working.

Thanks to Marcelo for his help.

Hi Karel,

Yes-I could play the WMA files in media player in both the 770 & N800 before Canola. And the WMA files still play in the media player.
However, the N800 does not pick up all of the songs in the library.
I can play them one by one.

I have three songs on my SD card that are MP3. Canola, picks these up.
When I rip my CD's, I rip them as MP3's, but Windows makes them WMA's.
I believe these are still MP3's. However in the details type they are
x-ms-wma.

Since I'm having trouble with the media player loading all the tracks in the
library, I was hoping Canola would work out.

Canola is fantastic, and since it's a front end and not a new player, I
understand the issue is mostly media player.

I'm looking forward Nokia's update on the playback of media.

I don't mind using both Canola for video and media player for music.
But it will be cool when I can use Canola for all media.

Thanks,
JN

Had a problem with (i think) Canola yesterday.

Using an N800 with the stock firmware.

Running Canola listening to an album and I have the N800 setup to auto lock the thouchscreen. I left the album playing to the end and when I tried to unlock the N800 it wouldn't register any pressing on the square button and so I can't unlock.

I'm just going to let the battery run down and then reboot it that way but it's knocked the N800 out of commision for a few days.

Oh, and the battery is a nightmare to get out by the way

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by griffbrad View Post
Been using the beta for a little while now on my n800. Canola seems really great. Only feature I'm really missing is podcast downloading (currently you can only stream), which the text on their new homepage implies will be in a future release. Keep up the great work, Canola devs!
Canola is really cool!

However, I'd like to second this comment. Main usecase for podcasts that I see is listening to them during a commute, and with 3G streaming that'd become quite expensive.

In the perfect world both podcasts and photocasts would "autodownload" on the background when connected to a WiFi access point, a bit like the default RSS reader of N800 does.

BTW, I noticed that by setting a photocast to run slideshows I can use N800 with Canola as a digital photoframe that runs either my own, or pictures of my Flickr buddies as a slideshow. I just wonder if I can make that loop so it doesn't finish at last photo.

/Henri

PS: Any word on open sourcing Canola? I'm kind of hoping Carman is a trial balloon for releasing INdT stuff as free software...

Originally Posted by Tom T. View Post
Not to mention making a playlist from a text editor is something of a pita.

Thanks - Found one on Maemo, I'll give that a try.
Uh, no good. Looks only to create a single playlist for EVERY song on the device.

I want to create custom playlists.

So - any other apps folks can recommend?

T

Originally Posted by iFrank View Post
Tom T., you can use Playlist Creator, which scans your 770/N800 and makes a single playlist of all audio files or use the default audio/media player and build your own custom playlist(s).

I don't know about a compatible application on XP.
Frank, when I save playlists using the built in media player and try to load them in canola it sees the list but when I open it says "No items found".

It's strange; I use playlists created by 770 Audio player in Canola with no problem.
You can try using PLC, which makes a single list and then make custom ones out of it (send it to a PC to make it easier to work on).

I tried to install canola and my N800 crashed twice. Worse yet, now I can't install any
new software, even software that I previously installed successfully. Thanks, canola! I get a message saying that the install is incompatible with current software.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix my n800? I want to be able to install software again, other than canola.

Thanks

Originally Posted by flareup View Post
Two things - website homepage doesnt show text on my 800 though does on laptop

other is all attemts at installing lead to error with libgcrypt11 missing - where do i get that?
Did you get that error ever resolved? ran into the same and look for a solution.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by neocx View Post
I tried to install canola and my N800 crashed twice. Worse yet, now I can't install any
new software, even software that I previously installed successfully. Thanks, canola! I get a message saying that the install is incompatible with current software.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix my n800? I want to be able to install software again, other than canola.

Thanks
I had the same problem... Turns out I didn't read the installation instructions fully.

I rebooted as instructed before running Canola for the first time however, I did not unplug the charger first...
The only way around it was to reflash using the Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update utility found >> HERE

Then reinstalling the software following the instructions.