Active Topics

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Oh, do not even start me on PalmOS... I guess humping a dead pidgeon would provide the level of satisfaction similar to developing for PalmOS.
OH MY GOD!

Comments like this are why i come and browse the site daily... rof-lmao... dear god you guys know how to put things in such a way that it reaches out to grab your understanding... luv it!

on a different note i wish i could began to understand the sdk ect... talk but i digress.

Geez, from what you guys are talking about with Google Android, it sounds like this open source OS is anything but open and anything but user friendly. It sounds more like a closed source IOS that's wearing a penguin suit. *sigh* Of course, given that it was developed by Google, and is now controlled by the Open Handset Alliance, which in turn is controlled by a lot of companies who *do not* like open anything, that's not at all surprising. :rolls eyes:

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I've read that Ubuntu has developed an Android layer that will allow Android aps to run on an Ubuntu desktop. My understanding is that this was no simple task.
Technically, it should not be very complicated: The Android UI runs inside Dalvik that is a normal application running on top of Linux. It does require a few tweaks to the kernel, if I remember correctly, but that should not pose such a huge problem. After all, people successfully ported Android to Maemo, more than once.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Geez, from what you guys are talking about with Google Android, it sounds like this open source OS is anything but open and anything but user friendly.
It is user friendly but isn't developer friendly, unless you consider Java monkeys real developers. I do not think developer friendliness has ever been Google's goal there though, so there is no reason to get upset. If you want development freedom, go with some other platform. For example, Symbian is pretty decent in this sense, when compared to Android. It may be arcane and require you to jump through some strange loops, but it will let you develop and run native code on your phone.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
It does require a few tweaks to the kernel, if I remember correctly, but that should not pose such a huge problem.
One of those is OpenBinder, which is funny considering it is (supposedly) a mix of BeOS and PalmOS code.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
Sorry for thread necromancy, but there is a new article out on the relative freedom of developing on Android and Maemo
http://cool900.blogspot.com/2009/10/...d-android.html

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nyrath For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Interesting cases of anonymousness in the comments.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Oh, do not even start me on PalmOS... I guess humping a dead pidgeon would provide the level of satisfaction similar to developing for PalmOS.
I can't speak for developing for the PalmOS but as a user there were over a thousand apps that someone developed including a number of extremely professional apps that I willingly paid the license fee for.

I am hopeful Maemo can achieve the same success but, from where I sit, it seems that non iPhone developers are gravitating towards Android. Perhaps it will shift after the N900 hits the streets. Time will tell.