Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
Hi Sebastian. As I wrote in message 32 of the thread, "under /var/cache/apt/archive/ I have just a file named 'lock' and an empty directory named 'partial'...". In fact these are the results of the "ls" command: ". .. lock partial"
That means you must install GNU tar again. Please take notes of every message of apt-get and let's see what happens. If GNU tar is not properly installed the whole procedure will be corrupt. I suggest that after you've installed it, you stop and report it. And as I told you privately, we could try an SSH session to see what it looks like...

Salut.
Sebas.

sebastian.linux

thank you for taking time to help us i have done every thing in the help file here
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_EAS..._From_MMC_card

except this :

when i do this ?? it cannot find them ??
Quote:
# umount /opt
# umount /floppy
i have also tried this
~ $ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 3:1.1.3-3.osso17) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/home/user # umount /opt
umount: cannot umount /opt: Invalid argument
/home/user # umount /floppy
umount: cannot umount /floppy: Invalid argument
and yes i have installed the initfs-flasher boot that works very nice, but only boots from flash but not from the ext2 "i can see the menu and every thing".

and for the copy part of the OS i think i did that "please have a look":

~ $ cd /media
/media $ ls
mmc1 mmc2
/media $ cd mmc2
/media/mmc2 $ ls
/media/mmc2 $ cd /
/ $ ls
bin floppy media root tar-temp
boot home mnt sbin tmp
dev initrd opt srv usr
etc lib proc sys var
/ $ cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
/var/cache/apt/archives $ ls
lock partial
thanks

Last edited by screener; 2007-02-19 at 12:23.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by sebastian.linux View Post
That means you must install GNU tar again. Please take notes of every message of apt-get and let's see what happens. If GNU tar is not properly installed the whole procedure will be corrupt. I suggest that after you've installed it, you stop and report it. And as I told you privately, we could try an SSH session to see what it looks like...
I'll try to let you have more information tomorrow, as I told you, I'll try all again this evening.

Bye, Omar

results after a fresh firmware flash:

"Nokia770-49:~# apt-get -d install tar
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Note, selecting busybox instead of tar
busybox is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded."

Argh! now I'll try installing some of the old apps step by step :-O

Yaaaaahh!!

Finally, I got it.

I had to install a package (omweather, but guess it could have been everything...) and get rid of the "busybox is already the last version" problem, while I had anyway to use the "apt-get -d -y --force-yes install tar" trick to let tar install.

But now I am up and running!

Only two questions: is there a way to be sure that the system will be boot from the MMC apart from the message "booting from MMC2"? I read something here about the fact that sometimes if the MMC is not found, it'll write "booting from MMC" anyway.

Second question is (naturally follows the previous one ) if the right choice is "MMC2 partition - EXT2"

Last but not least: in the same time I did this, I also restored my ubuntu installation (the ####### 160GB Maxtor died a couple months ago but i continued surfing the web with the 770 only, due to lack of time) and almost finished following all the directions of this howto: http://www.taimila.com/ubuntuosx.php

great news!

Oh, I almost forgot: thanks A LOT to all of them who helped me, sebastian particularly who even offered to connecto to my 770 through ssh to solve the tar problem.

You (we, when I have something to say ) are great, guys!

Yaaaaahh!!

Finally, I got it.
great!

Only two questions: is there a way to be sure that the system will be boot from the MMC apart from the message "booting from MMC2"? I read something here about the fact that sometimes if the MMC is not found, it'll write "booting from MMC" anyway.
Try booting with flash and make some system change (e.g. screen brightness). Then switch off and reboot with mmc2: you should not have those changes.

Second question is (naturally follows the previous one ) if the right choice is "MMC2 partition - EXT2"
right, if you want to install apps in your mmc. And I do think you want

All in all it seems ok, since booting from the MMC and from the flash will end up in having different themes, different brightness/volume settings, etc.

*But* I cannot understand this: I partitioned my 1gb MMC into about 800 MB + 196 MB partitions to have some 64 MB more than the usual (the calculations were: 128 MB flash with normally about 64 MB available on the device so 196 will provide the 64 for the system plus 128 MB for applications).
If I access the control panel and check the "Memory" section, and verify how much freee memory I have, I get:

32% in use
11.6 MB in use
24.4 MB available
[...]
11.7 MB installed applications

In fact also just after having installed a small amount of applications, I had 48 MB free...

Oh, yes, I am sure I am booting from the MMC

Here it is mine for comparison:
I have partitioned my 2GB mmc reserving 1.5 GB for the ext2 part. When I boot from mmc, with some apps installed, I can see in the control panel:

0% used (maybe it's too much little to be explicited...)
Storage memory in use: 12.1 MB
Storage memory available: 1.23 GB (muah-ah-aahhh!

All in all it seems ok, since booting from the MMC and from the flash will end up in having different themes, different brightness/volume settings, etc.
Type:
$ df

and post results...