Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Yep and imagine how awesome it will be if they KEEP delaying it - I mean if they push it back to say Jan 2010 it will be even better. Then all they have to do is push that back until March 2010 to get a better device.

I don't so much mind the delay until Mud Nov, but what really pisses me off is the complete lack of communication and updates to the Nokia site. For farks sake how hard is it to update a webpage.

True. We all seem to be able to bend logic to suit the point we are trying to make...

I never was to impressed with how quickly Nokia responds with its Web pages. :cough: Tableteer :cough:

This Forum however, and maemo.org by extension has always been an exceptional source of timely and accurate information.

It wouldn't surprise me if Vlad at endgadget got his pointers to this on the Chronicles of n900

In reference to your questions on the expected shipment date of the Nokia N900, let me tell you the latest information from Nokia:

The Nokia N900 is a great example of what we and the open source community have been able to achieve with Maemo software. We are working closely with open source developers and for example, at the Maemo Summit in October, we loaned 300 pre-production units to get more feedback from the community. This feedback is extremely important to us and as such we also want to provide the best user experience with the Nokia N900.

We expect it to start shipping during November 2009.

Peter Schneider
Head of Maemo Marketing
Nokia Corporation
and that habeeb and evilm0nkey were also members of this forum or organization.

So the the lack of communication and updates to the Nokia site don't bother at all.

...and as long as we are speculating as to the cause... I reckon it was prompted by the feedback received by the users of the Maemo summit devices and it may have more to do with GSM then anything OS or UI related.

(:cough: network codes :cough

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
So the DROID will probably ship before the N900.

Nokia messes up in the US all over again. If the DROID is released in Europe etc at the same time then I'll consider switching. Nokia is such a joke these days

Dont take my word for it, read the article below

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ia-n97-updates
Launch party is Oct 28th and preorders are in high gear in November. Either they will release about the same time or the N900 (unless another delay) will beat it.

Side note:

Tmo should be a little worried now. Sholes is being pushed by Verizon and Google and Tmo offerings are second tier, older chipset devices. If Verizon were to drop their rates a little, Tmo could be hurt. Even without a drop Sholes should be huge and have Tmo pointing middle fingers at their marketing.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Maybe they just have too many websites to update

Current displayed shipping dates on the various store sites are as follows:
- Nokia USA "Availability: END OF OCTOBER 2009"
- Noka UK : "Tentative delivery date: November 2009."
- Nokia Finland: "3.9.2009 eteenpäin sinulla on mahdollisuus kokeilla"
- Nokia Germany : "ab dem 30. Oktober 2009"

(Seems the Finns have had the N900 for over a month!)

Nokia in France, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Spain and Sweden appear to promise no particular delivery date, although all allow pre-ordering.

Originally Posted by ralphb View Post

- Nokia Finland: "3.9.2009 eteenpäin sinulla on mahdollisuus kokeilla"
Loosely translated this means: "From 3.9.2009 you have the chance to test it"

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Yep and imagine how awesome it will be if they KEEP delaying it - I mean if they push it back to say Jan 2010 it will be even better. Then all they have to do is push that back until March 2010 to get a better device.

I dont so much mind the delay until Mid Nov, but what really pisses me off is the complete lack of communication and updates to the Nokia site. For farks sake how hard is it to update a webpage.

For those who care the goddamn Nokia USA page is STILL showing End of October.
I'm not saying "keep delaying it" or anything like that. I'm just trying to show you guys the bright side of a crappy development, that's all.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
As a long time Symbian user, I feel that both portrait and landscape mode is important to *some* tasks, specially the tasks that involve basic phone functionality ie. SMS, Voice (already available), Contacts. The rest can be managed since music playback, browsing, games, calendar are mostly used when not in a hurry and two hands are usually free

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Loosely translated this means: "From 3.9.2009 you have the chance to test it"
Fair enough. Google suggested "try out" or somesuch, and I figured that's what I plan to do when I get mine. :-)

So, it's really in-store demo they're talking about here. Ah well.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by nashith View Post
As a long time Symbian user, I feel that both portrait and landscape mode is important to *some* tasks, specially the tasks that involve basic phone functionality ie. SMS, Voice (already available), Contacts. The rest can be managed since music playback, browsing, games, calendar are mostly used when not in a hurry and two hands are usually free
Nobody is certain why Nokia keeps on delaying the product. The problem is they are not saying shyt about it, which is fvcking annoying.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Nobody is certain why Nokia keeps on delaying the product. The problem is they are not saying shyt about it, which is fvcking annoying.
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing
In reference to your questions on the expected shipment date of the Nokia N900, let me tell you the latest information from Nokia:

The Nokia N900 is a great example of what we and the open source community have been able to achieve with Maemo software. We are working closely with open source developers and for example, at the Maemo Summit in October, we loaned 300 pre-production units to get more feedback from the community. This feedback is extremely important to us and as such we also want to provide the best user experience with the Nokia N900.

Peter Schneider
Head of Maemo Marketing
Nokia Corporation
Posted in another thread early today.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing

Peter Schneider
Head of Maemo Marketing
Nokia Corporation
Ok, but that really doesn't TELL us anything. Feedback is important - great. Is this delay as a result of that feedback? If so what was/is the issue? If not - same damn question.

I really don't consider it too much to ask for some basic information for the investment of 500+ dollars. I am willing to put up with a lot if only they tell me WHY I am putting up with it.

On a side note the "expect it to start shipping during November" is yet another hedge bet. The keyword there is EXPECT. It gives them another out if it doesn't. While I am quite happy to keep my preorder at this stage, a further delay past the new "expected" date would definitely give me pause and perhaps make me go with something else while they fully bake the OS/hardware/whatever the hell it is causing the delay.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Tags
bumped by idiot?, impatience, n900 release, strange