Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
resistive multi touch anyone?
http://www.gizmag.com/getac-multi-touch/13078/

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by [ExiTuS]
This picture is an artwork of mine!
I never claimed this phone to be Nokia N920 or published any details.
It was not my intention that a Chinese website (I am German) grab my picture to prove their theory of N920.

Read official statement and see the "Making of":
http://www.nokiaport.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=5379

Regards,
[ExiTuS], NokiaPort.de
Touch that

Posted on HoFo today.

>> http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=23

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Yes.

It was revealed to be Bora (OS2007).

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...77&post=346677

As to the validity of the unit, me = .
Yup... see how it was done >> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=37

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Hope you guys caught this.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=39

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Well, this was posted earlier than your post:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=37
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post

Yup... feel free to join a discussion with the author >> http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...6&postcount=23

(registration is not required to simply view posts...

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-10-17 at 19:41. Reason: De-truncate URL

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
To draw an analogy: you want a Mini to behave like a truck. You can mod the Mini all you want, and succeed in some areas, but why not take advantage of the characteristics of the Mini and use that to apply the Mini where applicable.
I agree with your analogy, but let me apply a motivation. I want a truck, not a Mini at all. However, all that fits in my pocket is a Mini or other similar sized vehicles, and this is a hard constraint. Therefore, I will do my research and figure out which small car is the most truck-like, or most able to be modified to have the features of a truck.

If all you want is running full version of desktop software on mobile platform you can just grab a Zaurus and run KDE on that. Or some kind of whatever device with some kind of form factor ("mobile platform") and hack GNOME on it. You won't need Maemo then; you rather want say Debian GNU/Linux ARM(EL) port.
Yep. I had a Zaurus but it died. Now I have an n810 and really like it. Next I want a n900 because of the 3G radio and faster CPU. (OT: Nokia PLEASE PLEASE release an n900 with Canadian 3G frequencies!)

Web server and Asterisk are bad examples since they're not GUI software. In fact, for both we have finger touch UI on Maemo 5.
Finger touch UI for asterisk? Link? Or do you just mean the SIP client? I'm actually talking about real command line asterisk with dialplans and the like, that I connect the GUI SIP client to.

Look, I know I have weird requirements and they don't necessarily coincide with what the "masses" want. I've never been to Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc (except by accident). I guess my point is that Nokia is building a platform that is flexible enough to serve my needs while also covering what the majority of consumers will use. That takes openness, more so than Android even (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by spock View Post
I agree with your analogy, but let me apply a motivation. I want a truck, not a Mini at all. However, all that fits in my pocket is a Mini or other similar sized vehicles, and this is a hard constraint. Therefore, I will do my research and figure out which small car is the most truck-like, or most able to be modified to have the features of a truck.
Well, there are several options, and not everyone in your situation will make the same choice you make for your choice requires a lot effort.

* Get a stationwagon instead
* Learn to deal with the Mini as manufacturer intended
* Use another Mini-like car more suitable for your particular modifications

Finger touch UI for asterisk? Link
My point was that those applications don't require GUI, so they don't count. We'd talk about the GUI of the SIP client indeed.

Look, I know I have weird requirements and they don't necessarily coincide with what the "masses" want. I've never been to Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc (except by accident). I guess my point is that Nokia is building a platform that is flexible enough to serve my needs while also covering what the majority of consumers will use. That takes openness, more so than Android even (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong).
Yes, but unfortunately (for you) the limits are usually hardware-wise, and what will happen is that the hardware will be optimized to give majority of users best out of box experience. Meanwhile, the applications for the new UI paradigm (Linux/ARM/Qt/Finger-touch/...) will rise in both quantity as well as quanlity, which makes it a more suitable alternative for 1) Truck 2) Stationwagon 3) Other Mini-like cars 4) Mini-used-as-truck -- hence making the group of 'people with weird requirements' smaller. Eventually, at some point, backwards compatibility may even break or require additional work to get usable again. Such is potentially the case with capacitive touchscreen. When that happens you have to understand your arguments don't bear much value because you're an exception who 'lives in the past' so to say, like old hippies and punks from the 60s and 70s.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
There are plenty of valid use cases for stylus input in a modern device. Perhaps you've heard of Wacom...

Anyway, why are you going out of your way to discredit his particular examples?

Frankly all the frenzy and hysteria about capacitive displays blindsided me. I've been a tech nerd for years, keeping up on gadgets and computer tech. Why/when/where/how the obsession with the word "capacitive" in connection with touch screens arose is a mystery to me.

So let's get this out of the way, shall we:

There's nothing inherently better about "capacitive" touch technology. Current market implementations of both resistive and capacitive displays are lacking in features the other supports. On the other hand, there are currently workarounds available in both cases--but not necessarily available yet.

Switching to capacitive without keeping the advantages of resistive is foolish. I hope Nokia doesn't do that, but perhaps they will.

OLED vs. LCD is the same. Each has use cases where it is superior in the current implementations.

Choice--just give us choices, please.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
There are plenty of valid use cases for stylus input in a modern device. Perhaps you've heard of Wacom...

Anyway, why are you going out of your way to discredit his particular examples?

Frankly all the frenzy and hysteria about capacitive displays blindsided me. I've been a tech nerd for years, keeping up on gadgets and computer tech. Why/when/where/how the obsession with the word "capacitive" in connection with touch screens arose is a mystery to me.

So let's get this out of the way, shall we:

There's nothing inherently better about "capacitive" touch technology. Current market implementations of both resistive and capacitive displays are lacking in features the other supports. On the other hand, there are currently workarounds available in both cases--but not necessarily available yet.

Switching to capacitive without keeping the advantages of resistive is foolish. I hope Nokia doesn't do that, but perhaps they will.

OLED vs. LCD is the same. Each has use cases where it is superior in the current implementations.

Choice--just give us choices, please.
The reason why capacitive has been associated with touch screen technology can PROBABLY be attributed to the iPhone, like it or not. I think that most people's experience with the screen and device overall, OS etc, has shaped the perception on how users expect a touch screen device to work. I was watching a n900 review and the reviewer was talking about how his daughter or son picked up the phone and swiped their finger on the screen multiple times and said "Dad it doesn't work!".

Me personally, I'm not sure why anyone would want to apply pressure to activate contact instead of just lightly touching the screen. I find scrolling and overall navigation to be light years better on capacitive screens. Although HTC's resistive screens seem to be pretty good. You would not believe the learning curve going from an iPhone to an n97. And lets not even talk about accidental button presses.

Last edited by sevla; 2009-10-19 at 20:54.