Active Topics

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Quim, thanks for your willingness to keep working with people here.
Totally Agreed! Way to go Quim (& the community council)!

maemo.org and the karma system have been around for several years. There have been multiple previous device discount programs. Quim made it clear several months ago that applications in Extras and participation in maemo.org were important for consideration in the current programs, and there was even a thread where Quim posted his intentions to use karma to determine device discounts.
Just as a FYI; not everyone had time to read every thread. ;-) The only thread I saw Quim speak about the dev program he said not to worry about the Karma after posting a off the top of his head that he though it would be a certain number of Karma.

Several people are acting belligerent, hurt, surprised, and several other negative, inappropriate emotions. Can you really say, in all honesty, that you didn't see any of this coming? That this came out of nowhere? Come on. This kind of behaviour really strikes me as petulant at best and dishonest at worst.
I can't say I've seen any of that. I've seen several people make want to make sure that we don't let people fall through the cracks that have helped foster the community over the years by providing apps that we might all be using. But then again, my wife will tell you I am totally oblivious to most social graces; you can insult me and I probably wouldn't notice (frequently has happened in fact <G>). In case you are referring to any of my posts, I'm sorry you perceive it as such. Ones mans passion is anothers' disdain.

The list I provided above isn't to force anyone to do anything at all -- it is just my contribution to making sure the community stays strong. Quim and the council can decide what to do with it. I am really glad they have decided to go the extra mile and make sure those they think are deserving do get the chance even with low karma. (Their are at least a couple on that list I think if they haven't been taken care of personally should get them).

I personally want to see this community thrive. I don't even know if I can even afford to get a n900; but I am still very busy trying to make sure this community is still thriving for when I can finally get another maemo based device. I've worked very hard on getting a virtual machine for other developers to work on -- Hey as I've stated before developers are very important (key) to this platform. We are not going to win in the media; Apple is the darling. Business has Rim. We have to win the same way Windows one the race against DesqView/X, Geos and Gem and that was primarily from developer market share.

I've spent many late nights fighting the sdk(s) to get all the requirements for rapier to even run on fremantle. I also felt in this effort (making sure the cracks are checked) I was also helping the community to stay strong. If you feel it is too much to have a simple check and make sure we don't forget some of the low karma developers that have contributed (sometimes even greatly); then I may have a problem with your attitude qole.

Nathan
P.S. If anyone saw my posts as divisive; I apologize for that my passion for developers sometimes is excessive. :-D

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
fanoush, Nathan:

You're right, this is the most constructive of the developer program threads. But that isn't saying a lot.

I want to see all the committed, core people in the community get loaner devices or discounts. All but a couple of the people I could think of got loaner devices, and those people got device discounts.

I was really hoping those same people would apply for sponsorship to the Summit (they would have had no problem getting it), but they didn't, and we all lost. I lost, because I really want to meet them in person, and they lost, because they didn't get flight, hotel and device paid for by Nokia.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sorry for the two posts. But I think we now need people from Nathan's list to step forward themselves and express interest in this. We shouldn't have to chase developers down.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Sorry for the two posts. But I think we now need people from Nathan's list to step forward themselves and express interest in this. We shouldn't have to chase developers down.
Nathan said, "We have to win the same way..."

I seem to remember Apple evangelists chasing developers down in the old days ...

OK, at least one of those low-karma devs, jolouis / Rob Williams (tmo, mo), hasn't properly linked his maemo.org account to his talk account, so his karma is way too low. I've PMed him to fix this, but I'm fairly sure, with over 480 thanks, he'd be over 200 karma after linking. He should have gotten a discount.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
my 2 cents: it looks, that Nokia possibilities are a little bit limited (for example no MMS, although they're in Nokia device since years). There are very good moves and hard work, but core developers (with devices) should think about upgrading SDK with full BT functionality. It could be possible to work on some types of apps (like import engines, remote controllers, etc. etc.).

I was/am big enthusiast, but for now it seems, that situation is a little bit wrong. No discount for device? Not good, but it can be understood somehow. No device for normal price ? Not good. No single answer in new thread ? (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32996) Not good.

And once again: I appreciate hard work and some moves visible here. PEACE

Last edited by marcinw; 2009-10-17 at 23:01.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
About karma, what me and many people have been saying is not to worry about karma for the sake of karma. Be a maemo.org contributor and your karma will naturally grow.

I have been asking users to contact the developers of their preferred applications to ask them to get their stuff in Fremantle extras-devel. Did someone contacted a developer that reacted and is now without a loaned device or a discount?

Many developers could get their applicationss in extras-testing without a device, using the SDK, the Extras autobuilding and community feedback.

But let's move forward. Where is that prioritized list of projects?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
OK, at least one of those low-karma devs, jolouis / Rob Williams (tmo, mo), hasn't properly linked his maemo.org account to his talk account, so his karma is way too low. I've PMed him to fix this, but I'm fairly sure, with over 480 thanks, he'd be over 200 karma after linking. He should have gotten a discount.
Thanks for pointing this out, I do feel like a goof for not realizing that there was something up sooner... but in truth there's still a lot of things on Maemo.org that aren't quite as clear as they could be, so it's easy to kind of slip through the cracks with these things. I did eventually find the Wiki entry:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Link_talk.maem...mo.org_profile
and have linked up my account, but found it interesting that without the wiki link I couldn't find any button or link on the maemo.org side of things to edit my account (the talk stuff is easy because there's a link to the control panel right on the side there, but on Maemo.org itself?... no idea). Anyways, thanks for all the help here guys.

I did want to clarify that I personally wasn't ranting before about not getting a discount or anything, I just was trying to point out that as everyone else has noted, Nokia can't give a discount or loan a device to every single person out there for good business reasons. The fact that they're doing as much as they are is pretty flipping awesome (sorry been working on FlipClock too much ;-) ). That being said, I want to take a minute to say thanks to everyone for even helping me figure out what's wrong with my profile and getting things sorted; as far as I'm concerned my original statement still stands though: The greatest thing about Maemo is that because the community is so supportive and helpful, people get into developing for Maemo to help others, not to try and get discounts and things... sure it's good on Nokia's part, and we appreciate it, but it shouldn't be a make or break point; personally I develop for this platform/devices because I love the concepts and the people behind it and I want to help make it better...

Anyways just wanted to say thanks again guys, sorry for the hub-bub and not keeping up with all the "Maemo politics" of what I should have been doing with my account and karma/etc.

(Oh and that little quib about not OTG support on the N900 Qole... well that's one hardware hack down, 999999999 possibilities to go ;-) )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Many developers could get their applications in extras-testing without a device, using the SDK, the Extras autobuilding and community feedback.
I am totally in agreement with you Quim -- you developers do not need a device to get things going at all! I've been doing it -- and you can see others have been doing it without access to any fremantle devices (their are already several 100 projects in extras-testing). And I should be adding 3 or 4 new items myself to extras-testing in the next couple days.

Yes, everyone will acknowledge that their are some projects that it might be very hard to actually do without a device (i.e. likw bluetooth, or some camera); but the scratchbox can handle most of the building and testing for the vast majority of all the projects. And then once you can get the stuff into to extra-testings and then people with real devices can test and push back feedback!

To hopefully make this point a lot stronger and hit home for anyone else who doesn't have access to a device -- My Disclaimer: I do not have access to any working maemo devices! I am not in the developers program; and my wife won't let me speed $600 on a what she would classify as a expensive toy So what I am saying above; I am actively doing; I'm not just preaching it from any vantage point at all. Scratchbox can handle most everything; and if you believe in where this (Maemo) is going -- all you need to do is contribute and work on keeping the community strong until you do finally reach a point where you can actually get a device.

But let's move forward. Where is that prioritized list of projects?
If someone has such a list, I'd be interested in seeing it. It would be good if we know which apps have been "abandoned" -- I might port a couple more if the original developers have abandoned them. I just love the challenge of making software work. ;-)

Nathan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Netherlands
If I may be so bold: where should I apply? Here in the forum or mail the council or nokia?

I am not really a core developer but I do have some packages in extras (gosmore, sokoban, gnurobbo and berusky) one in extras-devel (Xpired) andnOn my home page I also have packages for xwii, cwiid and my own version of the usb-otg thingy. It is not much and maybe not interesting for the n900 but some users might find them fun or even usefull.

I would also like to 'vote' for the availability of a discount or test device for the developers of fbreader, claws-mail and navit. These applications really deserve support.