Posts: 51 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Houston
Originally Posted by tso View Post
he is walking into the common fallacy that USA == world...
actually i was talking about the OS itself, but nice try

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
flop? s60? what planet are you on? (not only is it a phenomenal success in terms of market share, it's also still the OS of choice for me for phones... and probably will remain for a few more years, as long as S60v3 phones are available.)
i repeat, i dont care about market share, Nokia does (and apparently you too). And I have NOT been satisfied by the recent S60 offerings from Nokia. But to each his own.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by legendemeritus View Post
actually i was talking about the OS itself, but nice try
in that case, its symbian, not S60, as its the version nokia uses (specifically its symbian with a interface made to match nokias older phone firmware, known as S40).

motorola and sonyericsson used a different interface on top of symbain, uiq. tho the latter folded ones nokia grabbed the symbian shares and started setting up the symbian foundation.

still, if you swap OS for platform, you may well be correct, tho i am still not sure about S60, as a platform, being a flop, given how many nokia phones there are out there running it.

btw, here is a list of gsm phones running symbian S60...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
To the worried ones, you can safely consider your comments fruit of paranoia.
I think simply being worried isn't necessarily on the same level with paranoia. I'm prepared to trust you on this, so I'm glad this thread was here for you to post in.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
He is a top executive from one company moving to another company. He is not heading the R&D function that Ari keeps heading but goes to lead the business function that is elsewhere in the company and you have probably never heard about.
But this I don't quite understand. Think about this: does R&D control the business function or does the business function control R&D? Shouldn't this information in fact make us more worried rather than less?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
still, if you swap OS for platform, you may well be correct, tho i am still not sure about S60, as a platform, being a flop, given how many nokia phones there are out there running it.
you are correct i meant platform. and flop was an incorrect descriptor, 'disappointment in its evolution' would have been more accurate. hence the fact i've held on to my E61 for so long. trust me i look overseas for all of my cellular options.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by Kypeli View Post
What is this niche? At least it seems people in the USA like this niche and it also seems Apple can make the highest profits on the market from this niche.
dont assume that its that loved in the usa. just those of us who like shiny things. most of us like freedom.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
i repeat, i dont care about market share, Nokia does (and apparently you too). And I have NOT been satisfied by the recent S60 offerings from Nokia. But to each his own.
my n95 is better then the iphone.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
i like the n97 with the new firmware version 2 from the software side. the downfall for me is the old processor

he is walking into the common fallacy that USA == world...
Not to cause any concern...but it seems are you just correcting one fallacy and inserting another. Or perhaps it is just friendly American bashing.

Regardless, your old-fashoined sterotypes of Americans is no longer true, if it ever was. Things have changed, for example besides President Obama, there is an Austrian-born actor in charge of my State. IMO, modern Americans certianly have a worldview.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
But this I don't quite understand. Think about this: does R&D control the business function or does the business function control R&D? Shouldn't this information in fact make us more worried rather than less?
Think about this: both R&D, business and many other functions work together in order to bring beautiful and successful products to the market.

It's the third time I'm posting in this thread saying that you don't have to worry. If someone still prefers to worry then it's worthless to try with a 4th post. So I won't even try.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
post from the hip, think then post