Active Topics

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I don't think there's a real maximum for cover size. It's just an embedded image file that can be of any size and gets scaled up or down by the software for displaying.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I don't think there's a real maximum for cover size. It's just an embedded image file that can be of any size and gets scaled up or down by the software for displaying.
I know that, but what i want to know is to what resolution the music application scales down the image art, because there absolutly no reason to embed a bigger resolution image in the music file.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Bytales, I know what you're saying, and I too used to like to get pixel-perfect things. But on-device scaling at runtime is pretty good these days, and even if you found out the exact dimensions to use for this player, if you changed to a different player it might display the cover art at a different size anyway, so it seems a bit over the top to hard-wire or optimise your cover art just to suit this one player. Just put the cover art in at any resolution you like and it'll probably work. In relation to the size of the music file, the cover art will be miniscule (just a few dozen kilobytes at most).

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Bytales, I know what you're saying, and I too used to like to get pixel-perfect things. But on-device scaling at runtime is pretty good these days, and even if you found out the exact dimensions to use for this player, if you changed to a different player it might display the cover art at a different size anyway, so it seems a bit over the top to hard-wire or optimise your cover art just to suit this one player. Just put the cover art in at any resolution you like and it'll probably work. In relation to the size of the music file, the cover art will be miniscule (just a few dozen kilobytes at most).
Just to suit this player you say ?
The thing is this will be the only player i will ever use. So no point in keeping optimized for everything else.
Besides i kinda have a feeling the resolution is 300x300 pixels. But i need a screenshot in bmp format for this to be sure, but it seems its 300x300

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
brainstorm this!
Umm... as I don't do any dev work nor have any experience in coding other than php with wordpress, I don't really know what I should be doing over there at brainstorm.
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
If you're a Windows user then Media Monkey is the app to use. Embeds in the ID3 tag correctly. I use this so I get my art when used on my Symbian devices.
100% agreed.. I have both a 30G Zune and an iPod Nano 4th Gen.. I basically use the zune software to load the zune and Media Monkey to manage the music and also load onto my Nano... Media Monkey is fantastic software.

The Zune software seems to not touch my tags that i've set in Media Monkey, which is nice, though I have yet to upgrade to 4.0. iTunes scares the crap out of me, I wish I never had to even install it, but MM uses a dll installed by iTunes to be able to communicate with the Nano.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by phi View Post
There's an apple script to embed all of the iTunes albums into the id3 tag (half way down the page is the how-to)

http://gizmodo.com/5363273/how-to-ri...sic-like-a-pro
Don't do this if you want to use the covers on other systems than Mac. The images does have an additional headers and the files (extracted from mp3) won't be displayed as pictures on other systems than Mac computer.

Use CoverScout, Musicbrainz Picard, Mediamonkey and the great command line tool eyeD3 instead. With some litte bash, id3tag and eyeD3, you have some great tools to manage you collection.

I'm on tagging 'some' GB own collections bad/untagged since some months and I tried nearly all programs I could find for Mac, Linux and Windows.

It's weired sometimes when I change the album cover through iTunes it get changed in N900 media player and sometimes not!

Is that some sort of bug? actually sometime N900 completely mess all my album covers I had once most of my files with the cover of a Sting album!

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norway
Actually this questions make perfect sense and I'm sad to say the answer is no. I have the covers included in the mp3tag on all my tracks, but only a few actually shows up on my n900. It's kind of strange since every other mp3 player I use actually manages to display them all..

Last edited by tgrim; 2010-02-05 at 20:39.