Active Topics

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
seriously this is no big deal, one person does not effect a company like nokia what is massive in size and employees
Exactly. Not to mention the whole Apple = closed is more because of Steve Jobs than general Apple employees. He's quite the control freak.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Exactly. Not to mention the whole Apple = closed is more because of Steve Jobs than general Apple employees. He's quite the control freak.
so it would seem, i bumped into a article that mentioned the first macintosh being quite locked down, similar to how the iphone is (even now with the app store, something the first iphone did not have out of the box).

makes one ponder where the change was, when one consider the apple2, and how one almost got the map to the kingdom.

i guess it shows the differing attitudes of jobs and woz...

still, while it may not affect a whole company, it may affect a division, just look at how different android is vs other parts of google...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Kypeli View Post
Yeah, but this guy will not replace Jaaksi, who is the CEO of Maemo.
I didn't say he would, and you focusing on that leads me to think you missed the point, which was to simply provide an example of such malfeasance.

Why is this such a big deal?
It's a potentially big deal because it introduces uncertainty at a bad time, IMO. If you've seen the Nokia vs Apple threads here and considered the spirit of this endeavor you might come to realize people's concerns are natural and completely within reason. They may turn out to be unfounded, but at this point the fear of the unknown reigns for some.

We don't even know what this guy's title is in Nokia, or do we? Would it be equally bad if Nokia would hire software engineers from Apple?
Flawed analogy. No direct relevance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
one person does not effect a company like nokia what is massive in size and employees
Sure they can. And depending on the effect, they get fired, promoted or hired away.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
If you've seen the Nokia vs Apple threads here and considered the spirit of this endeavor you might come to realize people's concerns are natural and completely within reason. They may turn out to be unfounded, but at this point the fear of the unknown reigns for some.
i agree?.....

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
nobody even knows what impact if any he will have.
as for the people saying this will help nokia compete with apple look at market share nokia are more than competing already and will only get stronger now there long term strategy for services and there open source OS's are starting to ripen soon it will be time to harvest the fruit 2010 will be a massive year

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by legendemeritus View Post
with three phones, Apple has invaded Nokia's marketplace. I would like some of that back frankly!
this might explain why we have different views.

you're concerned about market shares. i'm concerned about getting a product that's right for me, not for others.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Houston
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
this might explain why we have different views.

you're concerned about market shares. i'm concerned about getting a product that's right for me, not for others.
Nokia is concerned with market shares, I just dont want my $600 tablet (with Maemo) to flop like S60.

nobody even knows what impact if any he will have.
I could have sworn I'd acknowledged this...

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I know I'm new here, but this is my take on this....time was when when Maemo ran only on a relative handful of tablets and was only a minor part of Nokia's plans (in the overall scope of things, understand). But now they've kinda bet the smartphone farm on Maemo. Their top-of-the-line flagship devices - which are phones too, not just tablets, meaning a much, much larger, freakin' HUGE market - are now committed to run and so are dependent on Maemo. Surely Nokia realizes that If Maemo fails as their new smartphone OS, they may not have time to try again with another OS before competitors like Apple or Android have too much momentum to stop. Probably a good bet since Maemo 5 looks awesome.

So Maemo's overall quality, future development and software support are the key to Nokia's plans. And obviously, success on down the road depends on the continued goodwill, support and efforts of the Maemo community.

Now, do you really think that Nokia will let one friggin' carpetbagger from Apple come in and upset that applecart? (sorry) NO chance. The Maemo community is FAR more important to Nokia's plan than he is. If he rocks the good ship Maemo he'll fall overboard. Oops...he slipped on the deck...sharks...oooohhhnnnooo...

I'm gonna relax now and think about how much fun that N900 is gonna be...
Registered Linux user #266531.

Tags
post from the hip, think then post