Active Topics

http://gigaom.com/2009/09/24/iphone-...y-the-numbers/

Time waster thread of the day, I guess.

Ah, statistics.

If I eat two roast beefs, and you eat none, according to statistics, each one of us ate one. The magic of numbers.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Ah, statistics.

If I eat two roast beefs, and you eat none, according to statistics, each one of us ate one. The magic of numbers.
Heh-- I know you're being facetious, or at least I hope you are, because that's a well known statistical farce. The implication is correlation where none truly exists. But yeah, still funny in an antipedantic way.

Oh, and that chart is misleading: the decline is in units sold, not market share. tsk tsk.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-09-25 at 04:12.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Oh, and that chart is misleading: the decline is in units sold, not market share. tsk tsk.
Staring purely on percentages on that chart is useless anyway. Lets see how Apple sells when it has as many models on the market as Nokia has now....
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

I have started a small blog. Analytics sees about 600% increase in visitors because it went from 1-2 per day to about 7-8 per day. I bet cnn.com should be threatened because my market share increases much faster than their ...

Originally Posted by icebox View Post
I have started a small blog. Analytics sees about 600% increase in visitors because it went from 1-2 per day to about 7-8 per day. I bet cnn.com should be threatened because my market share increases much faster than their ...
Based on your statement, your market share isn't actually increasing all that fast. Your visitor count increased percentage-wise a great deal.

Same thing with Nokia sold units vs. Apple sold units. Even if either one sold 1 billion units, they would never reach 100% market share (with that amount, would be darn close tho )

People stare too much on percentages, that's what I think.

I could be gravely mistaken, but am I?

Last edited by Soulfarmer; 2009-09-25 at 05:54.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
The problem is not with the smaller player growing but with the big ones moving up or down by a lot!

Originally Posted by R-R View Post
The problem is not with the smaller player growing but with the big ones moving up or down by a lot!
Now that makes lot more sense already. And without any numbers

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Heh-- I know you're being facetious, or at least I hope you are, because that's a well known statistical farce. The implication is correlation where none truly exists. But yeah, still funny in an antipedantic way.

The Force is strong with this one.

This table is so wrong on so many accounts, I will try to cover most important.

1. In 2q08 iPhone sales flatlined completely. Some even predicted end of iPhone but it was everyone waiting for second generation. Also after that quarter Apple product became officially available globally. This sales jump came in most part from international sales. And this also explains why Nokia is lukewarm about US - it is global game. Success at all costs in US isn't so impotrant like still US-centered internet likes to think.
2. How 'smartphones' are counted? With width and breadth of Nokia's offering isn't it possible that middle level phones are becoming 'good enough' to replace previous top of the line (especially in times of crisis)?

Last edited by vvaz; 2009-09-25 at 08:25. Reason: removed irrelevant point (only we sales)