I dunno if anyone has noticed, but the CSUA website now says "In Store Only". I guess I had some really, really, really good timing eh?

Got mine. The guy said that they were selling one everyday since the display went up.

This deviant spent an extra $70 at CUSA. It is a Christmas gift, and I just couldn't chance Nokia wouldn't send thiers out in time!

Yes, I guess this is a case of voting with our wallets! Or atleast, that's what I tell myself for spending the extra cash. Maybe the chain stores will listen

Originally Posted by Azimuth Media
This deviant spent an extra $70 at CUSA. It is a Christmas gift, and I just couldn't chance Nokia wouldn't send thiers out in time!
hehe, same.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2005 @ San Francisco, CA
I went to the CompUSA website and searched on the part number. They allowed me to enter my zip code and check store availability (that wasn't possible yesterday).

It was in stock in the downtown San Francisco store, and my wife just picked one up for me.

Return policy at CompUSA is extended to January 7 through the holidays. Mine is a Christmas present (for ME). I also ordered from NokiaUSA very early on the morning of Nov. 15th, so if my order comes, I'll keep that one and return the CompUSA one. I have a feeling they have given our initial shipment to CompUSA though, and the Nokia-order gang will be waiting until post-Christmas.

This is quite evil of Nokia, but at least I'm guaranteed one for Christmas now. What a totally screwed up launch.

UPDATE: CompUSA rep said each store received 5, one demo and 4 to sell. There are only 2 left in San Francisco as of 1:09PST.
http://www.markandjo.com/markblog

Last edited by mk500; 2005-12-04 at 22:34. Reason: Added stock info

Silly how I can feel such "betrayal" all for an internet appliance. Seriously though, as others have mentioned, this is ****ed up. On the nokia usa site reads "It's not what you know, but when you know it." (nokia 770 sub-title)

WTF this mean in lieu of everything? Compusa was planning to sell this product to end consumers, and make it available before the Nokia pre orders? Did Nokia us the online "pre-order demand" as a metric to predict it's q4 05 success?

At any rate, **** you very much Nokia, for pissing in the cornflakes of we early adopter / enthusiasts. You've clearly demonstated some clever "viral marketing."

I can understand back orders, under run production. However, why penalize the people who want this the most? At any rate, i realize i should GMOFB.

Unbelievable.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Thanks flip!

Happily, the website was updated late last night and I've got it in my hands...

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Newport Beach, CA
Picked one up at a Comp USA in San Bruno, they had 3 in stock...well, 2 now. Keeping my pre-order from Nokia as it's likely one of my friends will buy it off of me.

Could always e-bay or offer it up here if I can't unload it any other way...

BTW, worth the $40 to have it now, I know, I'm impatient. But it's pretty darned cool and the screen is pretty dammed nice too.

Quick impressions so far:
-Opened up a 5 MB pdf/e-book just fine, paging is a bit slow (even if no other apps were opened up) but the text is very readable.
-The built in games are pretty and show off the screen very well. Downloading some other apps/games to try out right now.
-Linked via Bluetooth to my Razr V3 just fine and can browse, copy, send files to/from the Razr V3 just fine. Can't seem to get to the internet via GPRS though, will have to play with the settings a bit more.
-Secure POP3 access to Gmail's servers is a bit flaky, was able to check my inbox once but it's flaking out now, sending seems to work just fine. Anyone figure out the proper configs yet (yes, I'm using the right ports).
-Browsing is slightly sluggish, but usable. Zoom mode works well. Interface needs some fine tuning, it'd be nice to be able to scroll around more easily using just the direction pad and copying and pasting text should have a dedicated button instead of being buried in the text entry options menu.

Overall though, I'm glad I got it and I think it'll be quite useful. Especially as an e-book reader.

Dave

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There may be a pending Canadian invasion on Michigan in a few weeks. Can anyone comment on how realistic CompUSA's stock levels as reported on the web site are to what's actually in store? Would they hold something like that for a few hours? Detroit looks like the best bet because there's 4-5 of the stores within a few hours' drive... whereas NY is spread out like mad.