Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think sachin007 was referring to the iPhone, Apple has pretty much always used proprietary cables for their iPod and now iPhone and iPod Touch lines.

I prefer removable memory myself, though I don't think I have any eaders that support micro or mini SD..heck my current one doesn't even support SDHC lol.
these days mini and micro cards generally come with adapters to turn them into full-size sd cards. And, as Chris said, many also come with a usb reader as well.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I didn't make any controversial ****ing statements. This closed in group here feels like it's their turf and want to start a ****ing war about stupid ****.

Apologist my ***. I care very little for this "us vs. them" mentality that's being embraced as of late.

I'll support whatever is worth my time. Which part of that is controversial?

As it stands, none of this is worth my time. You people want something as minor as OBEX. I was pushing for A2DP - screw file sharing in an insecure and slow manner. I got wifi for that. Seriously, it's so low on my totem pole of stuff I want it's a non-factor now.

You people want it, I get it. I'm again not in your corner for it. Bluetooth transfers for files I might want to use USB2 for or wifi for... I don't have an half-hour for a 250mb file.

I have less time for stuff like that. Even less for a bunch of ****ed up, out of touch, singular minded fanboys.
I'm your fan

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I wouldn't be my own fan for that.

After a week straight of being assaulted by some seriously bad Linux fanboys, apparently I took it to this board(s). Not a wise thing... I can admit that.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Hell, gerbick, I went off on half my own Symbian community, going mad because of a lack of an N95 replacement a year ago. We all gotta rant some things off our chests sometimes. We're human. LOL

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Netherlands
The hardware of the n900 and the 3gs is the same:

ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz, PowerVR SGX graphics.

But the Iphone has the SGX 535 and the n900 has "only" the SGX 530.

Specs:

PowerVR SGX530:
14 MPolys/s for the handheld mobile market.

PowerVR SGX535:
28 MPolys/s for handheld high end mobile, portable, MID, UMPC, consumer, and automotive devices.

I do not know what the specs above mean but 14 MPolys/s against 28 MPolys/s is 100% more.

Is there a big difference between the SGX 530 and the SGX 535 in graphics power ?

edit:Someone on a German forum told that the SGX 530 only vga video can handle and that the SGX 535 full hd video can handle.

http://www.telefon-treff.de/showthre...51#post3820251
(look at page 25).

Last edited by janzeeschuimers; 2009-09-12 at 14:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to janzeeschuimers For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Well the numbers are double on the 535, so theoretically it should be able to push out double the polygons. Then again there isn't very accurate info on those mobile gpu's so it's hard to say what kind of performance increase it would actually mean.

And of course the CPU also affects the performance and it is still the same speed as in N900.

And I wouldn't say that the info on 3GS's gpu being the 535 model as 100% sure. The SoC seems to be something Samsung has specifically made for Apple, so hard to be sure what's inside it.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
We all gotta rant some things off our chests sometimes. We're human.
Maybe. Maybe not.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Good one, GeraldKO.

Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Then again there isn't very accurate info on those mobile gpu's so it's hard to say what kind of performance increase it would actually mean.
There is some information available at
http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/sgx_series5.asp
(free registration required)

Seems that the main difference between the various SGX5x chips is the no. triangles/pixels per second, clock speed, die size, power consumption.
While all chips support OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0, OpenGL 2.0 and Direct 3D/DirectX 9 are only supprted by SGX535/SGX545 and the SGX545 in addition supports OpenGL 3.0 and DirectX 10.1.
HD video is mentioned for all chips.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
"N900 vs Iphone. "

what made the iphone/touch better is the application store and the community.
we can count the good Maemo apps on our 2 hands while the apple apps numbers are simply exploding.

and yes, a LOT of them are free.

I don't own any apple product but as much as I tried to push the N800 or n810 to friends, they discovered the form factor and went for the touch. let's face it, it's not all about the hardware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smog For This Useful Post:

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war