Active Topics

Poll: Do you consider this Mer release to be day to day usable on N8x0?
Poll Options
Do you consider this Mer release to be day to day usable on N8x0?

Having played with .15 for a while and decided it wasn't quite there for me yet I decided to wait for the official n900 announcement. Now I've decided I won't be getting one I thought I should check up on Mer.

Is a new version expected soon? Secondly I'm willing but woefully unable, do you have any use for someone who is willing to learn, has spare time but absolutely no experience of programming?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It was my understanding that a new version was expected approximately now, but maybe it slid a bit again.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It was my understanding that a new version was expected approximately now, but maybe it slid a bit again.
In this forum the last time I remember seeing a revised release date is here.

However, on the Mer wiki page, I found a link to this.

And since here, the OBS issue seems to be resolved, so hopefully after all the excitement of the n900 subsides a little we should be looking forward to a new release.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil - Piracicaba/SP
congrats, Stskeeps... itīs getting better on every new testing version.

for those curious.... http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Releases/0.16testing

Please help on the project finding bugs!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marshel For This Useful Post:
Man I was really looking forward to test Mer on real hardware (I've been playing on Virtualbox for a long time, but it is not the same thing...), and now that I got an old 770 and a 2Gb MMC card I set everything up with mer0.16testing5 and... the horror!
I missed the swap bug on 770 (lol, maybe I need to pay more attention ) and now it's sitting on my desk, stuck with a nice deep blue sea wallpaper (and no LL Cool J with his faithful parrot).
Now, the One Million Dollars question is: can I do something to fix it booting from flash or I have to wait next mer step and start all over?

Anyway Mer team is doing a really good work, I really like to see Mer+Illume on my old hand-picked-from-trash laptop
Thank you all guys

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Wait for testing6, saju found the bug regarding swap. Missing 's' in swap.

Sorry all for the delay in 0.16. We had a really bad bug in NetworkManager applet going from Maemo GTK 2.12 to 2.14. Assumptions in UI code == bad.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Wait for testing6, saju found the bug regarding swap. Missing 's' in swap.
Are you serious? What do I have to edit to add the s? At least I will be able to boot

Ah, I found the file... 45swap in /etc/first-boot.d missing first "s" of swap... but I'm unable to edit it on device because I cant umount /media/mmc1 which is corrupted according to my 770... nor i can mount mmcblk0p1 as I did while following mer installation guide on 770... d'oh!

I did it! now booting... uhm... still only sea wallpaper...
The top toolbar appears for a second, then everything is calmly embraced by the depths of the ocean...

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Sorry all for the delay in 0.16. We had a really bad bug in NetworkManager applet going from Maemo GTK 2.12 to 2.14. Assumptions in UI code == bad.
Well, luckily for us you're not Microsoft... otherwise we whould have needed SP19.5-b03 to fix it 12 years after the OS release

Last edited by JustNick; 2009-09-18 at 14:54.

Sorry if this is a complete lame-o and rookie post. I installed the easy-mer package last night, but it won't start up. I get a white screen, and then it goes back to the desktop. Everything else that installed with the package works perfectly: openoffice, iceweisel, debian desktop, etc. (BTW, HUGE HUGE HUGE props to you guys for improving the OpenOffice and Ice Weisel performance --- it's amazing and now I don't need maemo Tear!) Anyhow, easy-mer may not running due to my being overexcited and trying to launch easy-mer before downloading the image; hopefully, this didn't screw anything up.

Am I missing a step? Am I doing something wrong? I looked through the wiki and googled around, but didn't find anything on this specific issue.

I'm on an N800 with diablo.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It sounds like you're still using your Easy Debian image. You do need to download the Easy Mer image. And if you already have, then check your ~/.chroot file and make sure it has the right IMGFILE= line (pointing to your Easy Mer image).

Post your future questions in the Easy Mer thread.

Last edited by qole; 2009-09-18 at 17:22.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Thank you everyone involved in developing Mer. I guess all the focus & chatter over the N900 and the relative quiet on the Mer front is making anxious for some Mer news. Can someone offer a tease or some sense of progress to look forward to?

Tags
mer release