Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
We kind of lost focus. The point was...

NOKIA RECOMMENDS WINDOWS

To whom are you recommending it ? Everybody ? I sure hope not. If someone REQUIRES windows, it's not a question of recommendation. OTOH, if someone is dumb, or, far more often, lazy, let him pay the extra M$ fee (both monetary and performance/amortization) and be done with it. However, don't rob other users from the *CHOICE* of technically fully possible alternatives, WHATEVER the reason for their preference.
I sure hope they don't recommend any other half baked operating system that won't have 100% hardware\software support on it. And seeing that this press release was intended for 'the rest of the world', recommending the industry standard may be the logical thing to do as well.

Oh, and I bet it's part of their usage license and marketing agreement as well.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Sorry to insist: I'm not aware of anybody positioning Maemo as a vertical OS at Nokia.

You mention rumours in the Internet and I keep referring to Nokia communications. Since you are blaming Nokia on this, please refer to whatever Nokia is saying and doing. It will help you understand.

I'm quite sure ragnar and myself make the same use of the term 'devices', meaning 'mobile devices' = fitting in your pocket.

And when I refer to the full announcement in Nokia World I just mean that look at those features, imagine them running with commercial quality in Linux and do your maths. Someone was assuming in this thread that the drivers just work with Linux. Have you checked that is true against this hardware?.

For starters, the promotional video mentions things like "secure corporate email" (where MS has a big stack) and "Nokia Music Store" (I don't know the details, but I guess some DRM is in the play). I'm only looking at the public information today and I don't know more myself, but if you have a slight idea of the technologies involved, developing the same features and user experience with Linux is not trivial.

If you only care about the hardware and Linux that's fine, but that would be a different product than the one announced yesterday. Even if the hardware would be common and decently supported at a driver level.

Last edited by qgil; 2009-08-25 at 11:36.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Guys, this is not a smartphone - Nokia smartphones will run S60 and Maemo 5 starting with the N900. The N900 will be the first of many Maemo 5 devices which represents a massive investment from Nokia and also happens to be awesomely cool

Nokia's netbook launch comes from a belief that they can make money from this business with the added benefit that they can increase the penetration of their mobile phone services (Ovi Maps, Mail, Files, Music Store, Apps, Sync, etc.)

To quote Nokia: "we are in the business of connecting people"

OK, but if you were Nokia how would you maximise your chances of success in the already crowded and competitive netbook market?

The key is product differentiation, which at first sounds pretty tricky - I mean it's just another intel atom / windows netbook right?

Well here's what they've come up with:

1. Connecting People - Best in class built in 3G/HSPA radios + A-GPS, with hot-swappable SIM card, advanced power management and full software support.

2. Battery life - Best in class battery life - up to 12 hours. Nokia knows a thing or 2 about battery technology and power management.

3. Design & Feature Set - Nokia "industrial design", solid aluminium construction, HD glass screen, HDMI out. Increased "desirability" helps to increase margins.

4. Distribution - Mobile operators are inclreasingly selling subsidised netbooks together with data plans. In Europe 25% of all netbooks are bought from operators. Nokia already has these distribution relationships and the channels are wide open.

The OS has to be Windows in order to compete. Windows has over 80% of the netbook market and rising. The choice of Windows 7 "Netbook Edition" will add some gloss to the launch period as other products still run XP or Vista badly.

I think that they have a real chance of carving out a solid and profitable niche based on their product differentiation and competitive strengths.

Last edited by Espoo888; 2009-08-25 at 12:51.

The first of two Maemo devices the next 9 months.

How many Android devices the next 9 months?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
You know... I was going to respond to a few more things in this thread, but the truth of the matter is that it's a lost cause and just not worth it.

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
The Atom created the netbook market, not Linux. Linux was in because it was customizable enough to fit into netbook hardware. The same reason why Maemo devices exists, Linux can be made to work on any kind of device, something you can't do with Windows (XP barely fitted in the original netbooks).
Atom had nothing to do with it -- netbooks started with 900 MHz Celerons, and the MID-focused Menlow/Atom program shifted to emphasize netbooks only after they became an unexpected success. And IMO, the cost and size are what made the market, and one of those (cost) was a big driver for Linux as well, forcing MS to trim license prices to get XP on them.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
As Quim said just previously: "Sorry but do you mind specifying your sources? In our communication we are
OK, I must admit to being a bit provocative. I believe Eldar did that longinsh musing of how great a vertical OS Maemo will make for Nokia. I am of course perfectly aware that his... analyses... have absolutely no burden of being actually correct, but I was pondering the same thing. I wouldn't think putting the Maemo UI on a netbook, but the lower layers, APIs, with all the mobility stuff coming in, DID make sense to put under a custom tailored front-end UI to extend the platform for road warriors. Well, apparently not.

always clear that Maemo focuses on touchscreen devices that fit in your pocket."
Hey, I have big pockets. Too bad this kind of hints no 5"+ tablet/mediapad/whatever in the foreseeable future (hey, we have to jump to at least SOME conclusions ).

On another note, this does touch on communications a bit. When you keep features as major as cellular voice under wraps, it's beginning to be a real guessing game as to what this Maemo thing will be in the end... It IS kind of funny to tell people, hey I'm developing sofware for an upcoming device for almost a year now. What device, you say ? Well I don't know exactly, but it has a touch screen and fits into a pocket ! I understand *your* reasons for keeping things tight, but please understand the flip side, too.

PS. I do feel the 'Nokia recommends Windows' sticker is cheapish. Sorry.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
He speaks the truth - I'm spending my first post just to point that

This netbook look incredibly slick. It's like Apple had done a netbook, (but better - the macbooks looks dated already, imo).

And calm down, people. Nokia start shipping Maemo on phones (what would happen sooner or later) and lots of people bad mouth it cause it's "not just a tablet" - tablets are a dying segment, only Nokia and Intel spend money on that - sad but true

And now, that they announce a simple netbook, everybody expects it it would have Maemo? Already? Maemo on this thing would be a terrible choice, since nobody besides us knows what Maemo is - and Win7 IS the next big thing, despite we like it or not. And why Maemo, if a full fledged distro like Ubuntu would work much better?

Give the N900 some time... Maemo just got his first baby step in another type of device
^about the best thing said in this thread so far...

This netbook look incredibly slick. It's like Apple had done a netbook, (but better - the macbooks looks dated already, imo).
... and if I might add, a lot of people on this board and elsewhere compare any future smart phone offering to Apples iPhone. Well that horse is already out of the barn and beyond anyones grasp. This Nokia Booklet however, now sets the bar for everyone else to be compared to.

Nokia's build quality and hardware is usually top notch. It is what will eventually set it apart from its competition in this form factor. It needed software on the device that does not detract from this perception. For that, M/S windows fits the bill. Even if the software did suck... it would not be Nokia's problem.

Some may also see this as a market dilution for Maemo devices it's not. It is a Market expansion for Nokia into high powered non touch screen devices, imho.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I haven't seen anyone complaining about the device's size.

We're talking about the _software_ that's a COMPLETE disappointment.

Without Maemo or Ubuntu, this device is an EPIC FAIL, in my opinion.
A Windows computer is an "EPIC FAIL"? That's a good one!

Do I have to remind you the Microsoft Windows market share? Or Linux netbooks return rates?

Originally Posted by volt View Post
The first of two Maemo devices the next 9 months.

How many Android devices the next 9 months?
That's why I feel Android is going win in the long run in terms of marketshare.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...