Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
In the end, as the person who'll be paying the asking price, what difference does that make? I'd rather be without the flipping piece of crap I'll never use that's raised the cost up so high.
Everyone has a price that they think something is worth; and they shouldn't pay any more for something than that.

If the HSPA capability is useless to you, ignore it. Evaluate the device on everything which does matter to you and see if it's worth the asking price. If not, shrug your shoulders and move on. If you're "right" (in the sense of the market), Nokia'll learn and adapt to meet the market requirements.

If the price point - when it's known - is too high for the features you want, buy another device such as a SmartQ 5 or a new, discount, N810.

From what I can see, RX-51 is going to outsell any individual previous tablet model - and, if we're really lucky as a community - it'll outsell all the previous tablet models combined.

This'll have two advantages:
  1. Volume means reduced costs (although by sharing components with phones, Nokia are already leveraging one aspect of their business to the benefit of another).
  2. More users means more developers means more apps means more users means more developers... which means I can do more with my Maemo device than I can now.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@cruelkix: we'll have to see how well nokia can rally the content providers for it.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hp seemed to think there was a large enough market for dedicated pda's to make the 110 and 210 series of products...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
hp seemed to think there was a large enough market for dedicated pda's to make the 110 and 210 series of products...
So did Psion (and Sony and ...). Psion don't anymore. Do HP?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@danramos: think there's a big enough market for a cellular-less tablet to sustain its lifecycle on its own?
As stated before, the market, while not as big as smartphones, is definitely there. Otherwise you would not have the iPod Touch, Archos 5/7, SmartQ5/7, Mondi, Zune HD and similar devices available. Ideally, I'd like to see Nokia do something with the Rx-71 akin to the iPhone/Touch split, so both people who want a small all-in-one and those who want a dedicated (perhaps slightly bigger) internet device can share a common platform.

Last edited by attila77; 2009-08-12 at 21:32.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Everyone has a price that they think something is worth; and they shouldn't pay any more for something than that.

If the HSPA capability is useless to you, ignore it. Evaluate the device on everything which does matter to you and see if it's worth the asking price. If not, shrug your shoulders and move on. If you're "right" (in the sense of the market), Nokia'll learn and adapt to meet the market requirements.

If the price point - when it's known - is too high for the features you want, buy another device such as a SmartQ 5 or a new, discount, N810.

From what I can see, RX-51 is going to outsell any individual previous tablet model - and, if we're really lucky as a community - it'll outsell all the previous tablet models combined.

This'll have two advantages:
  1. Volume means reduced costs (although by sharing components with phones, Nokia are already leveraging one aspect of their business to the benefit of another).
  2. More users means more developers means more apps means more users means more developers... which means I can do more with my Maemo device than I can now.
I have several problems with that attitude. Not the least of which is that I bought into an N800 because it's exactly what I need and want. What I'd like to buy into is the next generation of what I need and want--a faster and more capable version of that device. Not some OTHER device I didn't want. It's a tad hard to 'ignore what you don't need' when it's boosted up the price enough to almost buy two of the previous generation.

Then there's the previous generation. I didn't see fit to go from the N800 to the N810--but if I don't like this painfully expensive appendix I'd rather not have to pay for, you want me to just buy an N810? You're talking about the one that Nokia no longer maintains, right? The one that shares all the same problems with my N800 of a lack of parts, support and everything that goes along with being the last generation to boot?

If this new device fails to do well--will Nokia just drop the whole line and just concentrate on their phones (which I will never buy given my experience with their support in general) or will they indeed go ahead and actually change their products to suit what the customers actually want?

Is it so hard for Nokia to actually make the offending radio a seperate module you could insert into the back like the SD cards do now--you could go out and buy your supposedly $15-$25 radio, if you so chose.. and the rest of us could happily have the same device we invested into all along the way to this point.

Near a I can tell, this thing isn't a tablet.. it's a smartphone. Call it what it is. Stop pretending it's in the same field as a general purpose device like a MID or the previous tablets. By that token, I'm still disappointed that Nokia hasn't released a new tablet that I can upgrade from my N800 to. (Sorry.. but N800 to N810 isn't an upgrade.)

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Not some OTHER device I didn't want. It's a tad hard to 'ignore what you don't need' when it's boosted up the price enough to almost buy two of the previous generation.
Ah! You have information about the price of the RX-51? Do share!

I bought into an N800 because it's exactly what I need and want. What I'd like to buy into is the next generation of what I need and want--a faster and more capable version of that device.
Right. And my point is that at the time, there was a device that had the features you want at the price you were willing to pay for it. You don't yet know what price RX-51 will sell at, so you can't (yet) make a conclusion about its cost-value balance.

You don't owe Nokia anything, and lack of sales is going to count more than arguments on a forum.

Then there's the previous generation. I didn't see fit to go from the N800 to the N810--but if I don't like this painfully expensive appendix I'd rather not have to pay for, you want me to just buy an N810?
No, I want you to decide what device to buy based on what meets your requirements. I ain't your popa.

Is it so hard for Nokia to actually make the offending radio a seperate module you could insert into the back like the SD cards do now--you could go out and buy your supposedly $15-$25 radio, if you so chose.. and the rest of us could happily have the same device we invested into all along the way to this point.
Yes. It's been explained multiple times that attempts at modularisation at a mobile device level have failed for technical, logistical, pace-of-change and physical reasons.

If you want modular; go to Bug Labs. If you want a MID, buy a MID. If you want a high-end Maemo device and RX-51 meets your requirements: buy it. If you want the hardware of a SmartQ 5, but you love Maemo, support Mer.

Options is one thing you're not short of, and no-one is forcing you do to anything.

Near a I can tell, this thing isn't a tablet.. it's a smartphone. Call it what it is. Stop pretending it's in the same field as a general purpose device like a MID or the previous tablets.
I don't know what "it" is. Nokia haven't announced it yet. Based on the leaks, rumours, speculation and stuff we've gleaned from the SDKs I'd say you're right - this is probably a phone. Running Maemo. A mainstream phone from the largest mobile phone manufacturer on the planet, running Linux, with an active community already and an engaged manufacturer; which ships with an X Terminal out-of-the-box (I guess).

This could get Maemo mentioned in the same articles as iPhone, Android and webOS. Hell, new apps for Fremantle will - on the whole - end up running on Mer, which'll run on existing N8x0s.

By that token, I'm still disappointed that Nokia hasn't released a new tablet that I can upgrade from my N800 to. (Sorry.. but N800 to N810 isn't an upgrade.)
Right. You're disappointed, I get that. Why are you trying to convince everyone else to be miserable too? People for whom RX-51 isn't the right device don't have to buy it. We've already seen evidence of another Maemo device in the pipeline; wait for that/don't/buy something else; it's your money and your choice.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
@danramos: You pointed it out very clearly in your last post... RX-51 is not a table, but a smartphone.

Now, isn't it contradictory that you demand that Nokia pulls the GSM radio out of their new smartphone, yet to be announced....?

I guess that you are in fact asking for a quick launch of their RX-71 instead..

I think the strategy is there, and the plan is very good, IMO. Launch a new smartphone based on Maemo for the general public and generate a wide user base. Then launch the MID and benefit from the multiple sinergies.

Plus, the Ovi store is getting ready for Maemo, so is Maps and other services... This has been in the works for over a year, I don't think that Nokia is going to piss any previous Maemo customer off. It is just that It's not ready yet for launch.

Are there any rumours about RX-71's hardware, BTW? I bet It will be a real monster...

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
PS: I highly doubt that the new Maemo device will fail to sell well, even the 5800 has had big success in several european countries as some have said here...

The RX-51 will be a big success and the RX-71 will launch a mere three-six months away from it, that's my "prediction". 5800-N97 combo worked well with such timing..