Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
They look like N810's with 5 row keyboards... Wonder how hard it'd be to get them to "dual-boot" Android and Mer :-}

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/11/a...from-eston-sfr

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
question is, will they be generally available?

right now, the only products running android are phones from HTC (and supposedly one on its way from samsung), and i already have a phone, and do not see a need to replace it...

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
This might sound like a shock, but there's only so many ways to make a recognizable device that would have consumer-like appeal and offer a reasonable level of ergonomics given the current limitations on people wanting to do things different and physics...

...but if we want to believe that Maemo tablets should look like nothing else on the market, we should be encouraging Nokia and anyone else who uses Maemo in their devices to take more chances on device design by (a) better developing applications for alternate form factors and (b) showing up here with conceptual images

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Both units, which look very similar bar the keyboard keys, look ugly and cheap compared to the N810, and the screen border looks absolutely huge.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
I would like if the N800 had a 'normal' USB host connector. I never tried any sliding keyboards, but I'm not sure I would enjoy it, so just cut it out. I've been getting along fine with the screen keyboards... And I still want to try working with it using large external keyboards.

I'm sorry to see Nokia can only make a single tablet at a time, and always make it more expensive, adding first GPS and slide keyboard, now cell phone capabilities. That's OK by me, but why can't there be also a cheapo tablet being developed in parallel? I would love to see an updated N800, like the N800 was somehow an updated N770. OK, maybe give it some 3 years so that the older one gets really obsolete. But I don't see that happening.

Where is the "Nokia 1100" equivalent of the tablet? I don't even know if this device is well known in the USA and western Europe, but to me is a notable product. Little GSM bw phone that swept the world, or at least the third world. Great design, worked (works!) great, got popular and was cheap. An inexpensive product with a great design, it makes me even emotional to think about it.

Of course an Internet tablet is not like a very basic phone. But the point is Nokia also knows how to create devices like this, and not just Vertus or things that make people think about iPhone. Apple doesn't do that, neither HTC or others.

What is the industrial reasoning that says there must be only one expensive tablet released by every year or two, and not a cheap version of them? Is it related to the problem of creating a competition between devices? The cheaper eats the profits of the more expensive?...

And changing subject: are we going to see multi core tables any time in the future, or is it better jsut to keep it in a single device because of price and energy consumption per processing power?...