Active Topics

^ I am also disturbed by the direction this device is headed, the attraction of the NIT's to me was the *lack* of gsm radio. I just wanted a wifi enabled PDA equivalent. The PDA is a dying species.

The Following User Says Thank You to wert613 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wert613 View Post
^ I am also disturbed by the direction this device is headed, the attraction of the NIT's to me was the *lack* of gsm radio. I just wanted a wifi enabled PDA equivalent. The PDA is a dying species.
Same thought here. I won't pay for a GSM radio that I'm never going to use, unfortunately.

I am interested in seeing how much of that front face is the screen, but judging by the Nokia logo and the speaker, it's probably a pretty big bevel. (From which comes the thought: is the case any smaller?).

I also get the scary impression that Nokia is positioning Maemo as a direct competitor to Android and Palm WebOS. While the platform is really nice and open, I fear it could get clobbered as a phone. (I guess what would save it is a really good development environment that makes it easy to port stuff, since porting desktop apps is where Maemo shines).

I can't wrong this too much, though. That camera is beautiful.
I'll just quietly sit here and cross my fingers for an N910 that strips the phone stuff, gives me a big screen and a four row keyboard. Maybe I'm just afraid of change

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2009-08-09 at 17:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Picklesworth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
3.5" is not so bad.. only about 12-13% shorter on each axis compared to my n800.. (looking at the 3.5" on my iphone).

I don't think Nokia can sustain a cellular-less device..

Valid point, I always have thought the NITs were a proof of concept for the MID. More of a hobbyists device, Nokias business lies with mobiles.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
For the $15-25 more to include a cell radio subsystem, they can be sold to a much wider audience to get the required quantity to qualify for 'wholesale parts prices'

It's better to demand (ask nicely?) for the product to be designed to be fully usable without activating the cellular portion\without a SIM inserted.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
If they add a bar at the bottom of the terminal which has all our favorite buttons, it would be the best of both worlds. That way you won't even have to press a modifier key to get buttons like pipe or tilde.

Also: I see no reason not to have cellphone capabilities. I assume everyone already has a cellphone, so why keep lugging it around when you can get all the ufnctionality and more in the tablet you already take everywhere with you. THen theres the whole 3G thing that makes the "walkaround web" actually real. Since this is progbably going to TMobile, thats a $25/month charge for unlimited internets and 400 SMSs. It's not bad(AT&T charges 30/month for internet and an additional .20/each sms, or 5/200, or 15/1000, or 20/unlimited).

Edit: Unlimted text/internet from TMobile is $30 combined, but with Google Voice, I doubt I will be sending old school sms.

Last edited by drizek; 2009-08-09 at 16:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drizek For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It's better to demand (ask nicely?) for the product to be designed to be fully usable without activating the cellular portion\without a SIM inserted.
Quite true but the device seems to have been limited as a MID (smaller screen, keyboard) in the attempt to make it more phone-like.

The Following User Says Thank You to wert613 For This Useful Post:
I just remembered that the n800 already has keys like Tab/Esc/PgUp/Contrl on a bottom bar. I would say it is almost guaranteed to be there in Maemo 5, so I personally no longer have any issues with the keyboard, other than the space bar.

It is personal preference, but I hit it with my left hand exclusively and I imagine it will be tough to get used to.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Guys, the phone thing has already been beaten to death. Too many times. It's not just the cost of components, with voice capability you're switching markets (see if that 15$ will buy you an upgrade from an iPod Touch to an iPhone). The fact that the Touch, Archos and others exist prove there actually IS a market for non-voice (potentially with cell data) devices. It's a completely different question which market you want to be (not) in.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
you know, sometimes i just think we should put 2 touch screens and use one as keyboard... like a Nintendo DS, just better

The Following User Says Thank You to dukemagus For This Useful Post: