Active Topics

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
ReadWriteWeb:

...But there's a reason tablets haven't caught on to date.

It's because you can't work on a tablet. You can't get things done without a decent working keyboard, whether it's in the enterprise or for personal productivity. Normal people are never going to lug around a separate keyboard for their computer. The two most highly anticipated products, Arrington's CrunchPad and the Apple tablet, are both going to be secondary entertainment machines, not the mainstream tech trend of the year.
Opinions? They talk about Apple's tablet, but I guess the same criticism applies to NITs too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
BS.

I forgot my laptop on my first trip to Helsinki.

I was able to do 80% of my work on the N800, including corporate (we had an early VPN client). If I needed a keyboard I had my mini bluetooth one.

EDIT: I let 'em have it.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-08-04 at 21:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I wish there was a speech to text for my NIT. Would make my job easier--please... forget the keyboard, that is so last decade!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paxicide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
What defines the "tech trend of the year"? Is it the product that is used more, the one that sells more, gives more profit, revenue, or the one that is going to be developed more intensely, is more different from what exists, or what is going to receive more marketing money, or what is going to receive more media attention?

That guy seems a lot concerned about working hard with his mobile 10'' tablet, and whether people are willing to carry a separate keyboard or not. Someone should tell him that being moving around is not good to work either, the best thing to do some serious hard work is to sit at your desktop in your office, and not using some notebook, netbook or whatever in some improvised place. And with a separate keyboard and monitor.

Do we agree that netbooks were the trend in 2008/2009? Even tough many of its customers were dissatisfied at the end of the day/year?...

Tablets can become the natural step after the netbook craze because by lacking a small notebook-like crappy keyboard it prevents people from analyzing it and criticize this aspect of the machine.

Being so small and looking much different from a notebook, people just can't look at it the same way, and are more willing to accept a strange looking interface and the smaller processing power. It's easier to make the users understand that they must treat it as a particular device, something different from their desktop computers.

Although that's exactly what that article's author seems to think, that just complete computers are interesting... I doubt it that he listens to music or read blogs, RSS news or electronic books, or play games...

Is he expecting that the tech trend of the year will be something like buying a quad core desktop with widescreen lcd monitor and an Internet connection? wasn't this the tech trend in 1998?

The Following User Says Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
"Why consumers won't buy tablets" on CNET:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-19882_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

Tim

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
first the ignore, then they ridicule, then they embrace...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It is absurd to say that you can't get work done on a tablet. It depends on what the work is. Try sending a message saying "the eagle has landed." If that's your work, it's done. My job used to be to updating a web site. I could have done it with a tablet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
My only computer is a N800 I use it daily for work.

Beingt that I renovate houses my requirements are different than the corporate world, but being able to sketch a floor plan (Xournal) with all the notes I want and then sending the pdf to a client would be more difficult with a standard laptop.
Also having other tools at my access can be helpful. I had a project restoring a 19 century house and being able to show the customer pages from a book about the architecture of the period via FBReader helped them decide how to replace missing bits.

Seems to me that any sort of technology can be used as a tool if you try hard enough.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to n9ots For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It is absurd to say that you can't get work done on a tablet. It depends on what the work is. Try sending a message saying "the eagle has landed." If that's your work, it's done. My job used to be to updating a web site. I could have done it with a tablet.
Fully agreed. Way too much emphasis is put on word processing and email being "work". I think there are many areas where voice communications and image / graph -based applications that would be better suited for the work if the work culture wasn't so hooked on typewriters.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by tso View Post
first they ignore, then they ridicule, then they embrace...
That's how the jesus got so big.......

Tags
rww tablet critique