Poll: What is your exposure to Linux outside of the NIT?
Poll Options
What is your exposure to Linux outside of the NIT?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
at work: Solaris and Linux mostly.
home: Mac for everything, Windows for gaming. I got a killer pc gaming rig that I don't use much nowadays though.
mobile: iPhone 3GS 32GB =P (it's so much better than I expected)

I've tried a bunch of linux distroes for desktop in the past (mostly debian variants like ubuntu) and I don't see then point of using it when I can afford to pay more for a simpler system.. I've realized that tinkering and fighting with the technical portion of a system does not have to be a part of owning a computer system. The OEMs and OS producer should be encumbered with this preparation, and the users shouldn't be encumbered with it. Not that I can't do it (re: my work), but I chose not to deal with it for my personal setup.

Last edited by ysss; 2009-07-28 at 11:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Boston Harbor
Ever since my first computer I've been using Windows. I think that was around 2001 or so.
My first OS was Windows 95. I learned so much about it and used it in such a way that other people probably wouldn't be able to figure out. But it's been so long since I've used it that I probably wouldn't be able to get anywhere with it now.
Around Q1 2002 I was using Windows XP. That thing pissed me off to no end. I was using it on an old box where I had to overclock it just to get it to run decently. I eventually stopped clocking the Intel and replaced it with an AMD. From there I was clocking THAT chip as well. Lots of fun.
Around Q2 I started developing some awesome stuff on .NET like I was supposed to. I've been using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise ever since. It's a great OS. It doesn't whine it doesn't slow down or lock up on the most basic task, it doesn't ask me to feed it, and it cleans up after itself.

Still I love vmware and many linux OS releases. I often have 1 or 20 crazy penguins messing around on the main server. I could probably run about 120 linux VMs on this box before I start having real problems though. People always look at me with an odd bit of confusion when I explain this to them. Yes my main OS is Windows, Yes I prefer running all my apps from CL, no I don't experience all the weird hardware problems and licensing issues that you do and no I will not fix your computer. o_O

People just don't understand. :\

The Following User Says Thank You to daemonforce For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Central Ohio
I'm a UNIX sysadmin by day, using RHEL on my primary workstation. At home I have one system running XP (for the family), one thin client running XP Embedded; my oldest daughter has a MacBook. Everything else is running Linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to charting For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
I use just Linux at desktop and notebook for almost 10 years, almost exclusively Debian.

I wished to have a Zaurus and an Agenda VR2 because of Linux. Now I'm finally free and mobile with my N800!

Great pool, outside of missing an 'others' option. Results are coming uniform, what is interesting...

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Gads. :-)

At work, my primary desktop OS is Windows XP, but I spent as much time on one or more servers as I do on the desktop, and those are running either Solaris or OS 2200.

At home, it's a mix of Ubuntu and Puppy/VestaPup Linux, Win2k/XP, and even Warp 4 for some basic things yet (I like using Z! to play music, for example).

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
I wished to have a Zaurus and an Agenda VR2 because of Linux. Now I'm finally free and mobile with my N800!
I actually upgraded from the Zaurus to the N810. And what a worthy successor it was...

Great pool, outside of missing an 'others' option. Results are coming uniform, what is interesting...
Yeah, that kind of surprised me. It was my first attempt at a poll, so I'm fairly pleased with the results.

--vr